Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

San Angel Inn used to be my favorite when they had the Duck Taco's on the appetizer menu. Ever since they took that off I've felt like it's gone downhill.

I've never eaten at La Hacienda, but I plan to on my next visit.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

My husband is mexican...born and raised...and we ate at the counter service place twice. He did say it wasnt the best mexican he ever had (I agreed) but then again his mom, sister and SIL are amazing cooks so the bar is set pretty high for him. But the fact that he wanted to eat there a second time should count for something...and in no way would I ever compare to Taco Bell...

Our complaints were that the chips were kind of stale and not salted and the salsa was not spicey at all but I guess many american cant handle the heat...We did love the mexican soda and DS loved the popcicles and churros...
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

I agree about the churros (but I think they called them churritos?). They were ring shaped & came with a caramel sauce & were fantastic!

The rest was terrible (CS). The salsa comes from a squirt dispenser like ketchup and has a very strong liquid smoke flavor. The chips tasted like they came from a bag, and the nachos were just those chips with chili poured over them. My kids just threw them away.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If they could get off that dining plan, it might encourage a larger menu. But that's the deal at Disney, you need to accept their dining plan to operate in their park.
Seems like if that's the issue, the simplest solution would be to designate certain dishes as eligible for the dining plan, while still allowing a wider menu for the cash guest.

I suppose the issue with this is that one then gets put into the position of having to say no when the dining plan guest asks if they can have one of the other menu items instead of the designated ones.

Last edited by cigar95; 02-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Linleedo
Mouseketeer

Talking

Love San Angel Inn. Are Margaritas considered a meal?
Linleedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter;

And the Mexican food at Epcot is really Mexican. Not TexMex which is why some folks find Taco Bell better.
Good point. A lot of people don't realize that there is a difference. And Taco Bell resembles nothing I've ever eaten in a restaurant. So if that is your reference point, you probably would be really shocked. Mexican cuisine can be so different from region to region. Even I you are familiar with authentic food, another region could be surprising.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #22
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Love SAI, the food was delicious and our server was the friendliest and most attentive server on our trip last year. Plus the atmosphere is amazing!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #23
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

We ate at LaHacienda on a recommendation from our son and we really loved it. Loved the decor of the restaurant and thought the food was really delicious. San Angel is also good but preferred La Hacienda.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
Bwahahaha! We're from San Antonio. We NEVER eat Mexican food in theme parks.

On a total side note......we honeymooned in San Antonio and it was about THE best Mexican food I've ever had. I still dream about the puffy taco! That was the stuff that dreams are made of!

Okay.....back to regularly scheduled broadcasting......

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
delilah
DIS Veteran

We went to San Angel Inn twice, and this was years ago. The first time was before my son was born, and he is going to be 15, and the second time was when he was about 4. Both times, the food was disappointing.

There are a few background points so that my comments can be put in perspective. We are real Disney fans; we belong to DVC, and have enough points that we can go 2-3 times a year, and Epcot is our favorite park, so, we have probably eaten 100 meals or more at Epcot. The second is that my husband is half-Mexican, half-Cuban, and his mom taught me to cook all kinds of hispanic dishes, so, I am familiar with Mexican/Cuban/Caribbean cuisine.

I feel that the particular dishes that we had were poorly prepared. I had a chicken mole dish (which may or may not still be on the menu). The chicken was dry and overcooked.

Also, the restaurant, at the time we went, was terribly overcrowded. It was difficult to navigate to go to the restroom (important with a 4 yo), and, of course, because it was so closely packed, people (either wait staff or other guests) were constantly bumping our chairs to get around. I would love to give the restaurant a third chance, because, quite possibly, it has improved, but, at the prices charged, I would rather eat elsewhere.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys for all of the input!!! Maybe the only Mexican thing I will end up getting will be a margarita!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
We went to San Angel Inn twice, . . . . . I would love to give the restaurant a third chance, because, quite possibly, it has improved, but, at the prices charged, I would rather eat elsewhere.
I noticed that when La Hacienda (de San Angel) opened across the promenade, the San Angel Inn got noticeably better. So your thought about giving it another chance might well pay off for you if you're looking for something better than your previous experiences.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: