Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #31
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
Interesting thoughts. I think I like the idea of a private car with guide meeting us at the port, getting us to the Panathenaic stadium, the Acropolis, doing the New Acropolis Museum. Then maybe giving us some time alone to wander before getting us back to port. Lots of things to think about...my overplanning tendencies have already got me starting a spreadsheet to compare the options...what a way to spend a Friday night, but DH is already in bed so he can go to work at 4:30 in the morning!
I did the same thing with Ephasus and a spreadsheet because I had three good quotes from suppliers. Don't think that is is overplanning at all.
JimmyJackJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #32
ejw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Right now

Athens - we are planning to do it by ourselves. Take the train to the National Archeological Museum, then head for some lunch and then on to the Acropolis. Evidently, giudes are easy to pick up at the sites. If the transit system continues to have intermittent strikes we may get a tour. The Rick Steeves book recommends going to the museum first as most cruise ship passengers go to the Acropolis first and the Acropolis tends to empty out after lunch.
Wouldn't the Acropolis be too hot to do in the afternoon?

ellen

ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #33
ejw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
I did the same thing with Ephasus and a spreadsheet because I had three good quotes from suppliers. Don't think that is is overplanning at all.
Hi JimmyJackJunior, going to a totally unrelated topic, I just read that British Columbia is eliminating the penny. I think that's pretty interesting. Why are they doing that?

ellen

Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw View Post

ellen
That's exactly what I was about to post - it seems to me that going to the Acropolis first thing and then into the museum makes more sense in terms of the heat, if not the crowds!

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #35
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi JimmyJackJunior, going to a totally unrelated topic, I just read that British Columbia is eliminating the penny. I think that's pretty interesting. Why are they doing that?

ellen
The penny currently costs more to make than it is worth! Basically they aren't making any more but they will be accepted as currency while still in circulation. Electronic funds will still be to the nearest cent, but cash funds will now be rounded to the nearest nickel (at least I think that is how it will work). This is similar to a lot of places in Europe when I lived there (before the Euro).

Our bigger issue right now is they made the $20 and $50 bills out of a polymer blend, to make them more durable and harder to counterfeit. Problem is no machines can accept them!!!

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
tajz90
Mama D

Just joining so I don't miss anything I need to know for this summer
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #37
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

subscribing...

..and looking forward to learning more about our Greece/Turkey options.

Thanks for the great info about doing Athens on our own. I think that is what we are going to do because none of the port adventures really seemed to speak to me.

While folks are discussing Athens, I'm curious about getting from the ship to the to the metro station in Piraeus. It sounds like it could potential be a long hot walk. It sounds like some cruise lines provide buses to get you closer to the station. Just wondering if anyone knows if DCL will provide buses? Is it possible to take a taxi? I don't think we'd mind but don't want to exhaust our 4yr old son before we even get to the Acropolis.... Thanks!

Also just curious if anyone is familiar with the Athen's Happy Train (http://www.athenshappytrain.com/). Sounds like a cheap, easy, and toddler friendly way to get around the sights in Athens.

Thanks,
jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ellen
Well yes it will. But it will also be hot by 10:30. I would rather beat the crowds than the heat. We will pack our platypuses. Errr what is the plural of platypus anyway? Is it playtipy? We will gave plenty of water, sunscreen, hats etc.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #39
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

For Athens, I am thinking about doing the Acropolis/other Athens highlights first thing, then a drive out to Corinth. I have found a few private tour companies, recommended on cruisecritic, who advertise this.

Anyone here ever been to Corinth? Do you think it would be overload? (Kids are older teens, who do like history/ruins.)
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
ldo
DIS Veteran

there used to be a HO-HO bus that picked up at the port and dropped off right at the Acropolis (plus other points). IMHO, from Aug. 2011, the walking area around the Acropolis seemed very safe and pleasant. The Platka is at one end. I would do Acropolis in the AM and then walk to the museum (5 minutes). There is a nice cafe at the museum where you can get a soda, food, etc. and cool off, then you can walk to the Platka for more food/souvenirs, etc. You can also cross the street at the Platka and go over the the park (myabe called Temple of Zeus??). Your ticket is good for this park, as well.
Athens is definitely a place I would save $$ and DIY, as it's so easy. I would then spend the $$ for a good tour of Ephesus.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #41
Yensidfan
Mouseketeer

subscribing
Yensidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

This is a helpful (and really beautiful) post of how to do Mykonos on your own:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1749395

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #43
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post
This is a helpful (and really beautiful) post of how to do Mykonos on your own:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1749395
Ah yes - I saw that the other day - he has several other posts from other ports as well. We are planning to do Mykonos on our own, so it was nice to see a bit more of where we'll be. I do want to see the windmills.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #44
ejw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
The penny currently costs more to make than it is worth! Basically they aren't making any more but they will be accepted as currency while still in circulation. Electronic funds will still be to the nearest cent, but cash funds will now be rounded to the nearest nickel (at least I think that is how it will work). This is similar to a lot of places in Europe when I lived there (before the Euro).

Our bigger issue right now is they made the $20 and $50 bills out of a polymer blend, to make them more durable and harder to counterfeit. Problem is no machines can accept them!!!
Hi canadakath, thanks for the explanation.

We're actually going to be in Ottawa a couple of weeks from now for winterlude. Looking forward to skating on the canal and eating poutine and beaver tails. Keeping our fingers crossed that it stays cold enough.

ellen

Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Just subscribed. What an awesome thread! And having debsters41's inside scoop is invaluable.

My Disney Adventures
Disney Magic Inaugural Greek Cruise: June 15, 2013
Disneyland/California Adventure: April 4, 2013
Disney Fantasy: December 29, 2012
Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot: December 25, 2012
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 17, 2012 (Opening week of Cars Land and Mad T Party)
Disneyland/California Adventure: March 2012
Became DVC Member: December 28, 2011,
First Disney Cruise: December 24, 2011, Magic
Magic Kingdom and Epcot: January 2011
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 2007
My Daughter’s first trip to Disneyland: December 31, 2001
Animal Kingdom: August 1999
Epcot: June 1997
Disneyland: July 1994
Disneyland: June 1991
Disneyland: April 1987
First trip to Disneyland: November 29, 1986