Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Disneyland take 2~July 2013 PTR aka I obsess over making decisions!-updated 7/8

Yay! After loving and lurking over so many trip reports over the years I have decided to test the waters myself. So here it is: Disneyland take 2-PTR

A little about our Disney history! This will be our second Disneyland trip (and first since 2007....back when we were Disney newbies). I am the driving force behind our Disney obsession although my oldest daughter is following in my footsteps. While my true love are Disney parks....I also enjoy all amusement parks and always need to plan a trip around some sort of park. We all love collecting character pictures (especially rare or special event ones). Aaron and Lucy are more of the dark ride type. Olivia and I are the thrill seekers! You will find us pair off alot! Finally we are about 2.5 people collectively vegetarians so once we get to DL, I will do my best to document vegetarian eats as I don't think there is as much info out there for DL as there is WDW.

So here we are at WDW this past summer:

Stacy (me).
Favorite character: Pooh bear. Also have a special spot in my heart for villians.
Favorite ride: Tower of Terror

Aaron
Favorite character: Mr. Incredible
Favorite Ride: Buzz Lightyear

Olivia (age 17)
Favorite character:Woody
Favorite Ride: Everest?

Lucy (age 9)
Favorite character: changes frequently maybe Peter Pan/fairys?
Favorite Ride: again changes (although I can tell you she doesn't like Space Mountain and Tower of Terror ) maybe Haunted Mansion

A few more pictures of us from our WDW this summer:

Next up....a summary of our last DL trip!
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

Currently planning: Feb. 2015 and June 2015
"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9

Last edited by stacy~**; 07-08-2013 at 10:15 AM.
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

So instead of calling this the 2007 trip summary let’s call it lessons learned in 2007!

Lesson 1: Unless you only plan a day trip away don’t commute out of Anaheim for a 10 day trip (we went to the parks 5 days and did other SoCal things the other 5 days but I couldn’t resist the $59-$79 per night Hojo entertainment rate so drove ALL over SoCal). This trip will be spent in 2 different lodging areas (more on that later…). Here is the only Hojo picture I have! LOL...can you tell someone has been sitting on an airplane for hours??

Lesson 2: Have a plan. I know this is a given to us on the Dis but I was a newbie last trip and lack of planning (especially on my So Cal portion) really limited some of the things we were able to do. I will include “underestimating traffic” in this section as well. Yes we saw Rodeo Drive in the dark when everything was closed!

Lesson 3: DCA is a quiet little private park just for us when DL gets busy in the afternoon. You will learn to love it (insert Carsland…lesson 3 no longer applies).

Lesson 4: Disneyland has a magic that cannot be replicated at WDW. The small feel givens me goose bumps just thinking about it!!
Example~
No recalling of DL magic would be complete without the retelling of our most magical Disney moment ever.  Right inside the entrance we met Mary Poppins and Bert. They were very fun and engaging. Insert magic. We are walking up Main Street and Mary is walking down HOURS later and she just waves and casually says Hello to Lucy by name. Hours later. By name. As if they were two neighbors saying hello as they passed each other walking down the street. We were shocked! Very awesome.

This brings me to lesson 5.

Lesson 5: Disneyland characters are often found roaming around without handlers, etc. This took awhile to get used to but really adds to the magic. Lucy’s carrousel ride with Peter Pan would never have happened at Disney world.

Next up~Decisions....Lodging!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Sounds like fun! Your daughters are adorable (and I love the Perry shirts from WDW).

A Disneyland/California combo trip is perfect -- enough time for the parks, plus sightseeing around one of the best places.

There are a lot of locals (and former locals, like me) on the board to try and answer your questions.

Best of luck plotting and planning!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

What a cute family. I have a few questions for you. What did you not do last time that you for sure will do this time? What did you do last time that you will skip this time?

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Hi, Stacy!

I just wanted to let you know that I subscribed to this thread yesterday. You told me (in my Catalina Island TR) that you planned on starting a Pre-TR in the next week or so to have somewhere to gather your thoughts as you planned your trip - so I was surprised to see that the Pre-TR had already begun!

In any case, I'll gladly chime in with random Catalina suggestions or help (if and when you need it), but from what you mentioned in my TR I think your initial ideas about what to do in Avalon are good ones!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Sounds like fun! Your daughters are adorable (and I love the Perry shirts from WDW).

A Disneyland/California combo trip is perfect -- enough time for the parks, plus sightseeing around one of the best places.

There are a lot of locals (and former locals, like me) on the board to try and answer your questions.

Best of luck plotting and planning!

PHXscuba
Hi! Thanks for joining in. You are my first follower!! Thanks for the compliment on my daughters....I tend to agree with you. It is hard to believe that by the time we go on this trip my oldest will be a HS graduate!

I definately would love suggestions on my itinerary once I get around to posting it. I have lots on the list and will need help trimming it down as well as organizing things that make sense to do on the same day, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChapman6 View Post
What a cute family. I have a few questions for you. What did you not do last time that you for sure will do this time? What did you do last time that you will skip this time?
Thanks for the compliment. I see you have a trip coming up sooner than mine! As far as what we plan to do different this time....well alot of it will have to do with two factors 1. My youngest was 3 on our previous trip and will be 9 on this one and 2. Last time we actually spent alot of time with some friends that we have in Longbeach (at their house, etc.). Not really sure there is anything we would not repeat...maybe the Queen Mary and Olivera Street (although we liked both enough at the time). New things are definately Catalina Island and a studio tour...but really I have lots more on my list. Stay tuned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Hi, Stacy!

I just wanted to let you know that I subscribed to this thread yesterday. You told me (in my Catalina Island TR) that you planned on starting a Pre-TR in the next week or so to have somewhere to gather your thoughts as you planned your trip - so I was surprised to see that the Pre-TR had already begun!

In any case, I'll gladly chime in with random Catalina suggestions or help (if and when you need it), but from what you mentioned in my TR I think your initial ideas about what to do in Avalon are good ones!
Yup, Sherry...I just decided to get it going!! I am usually somewhat of a last minute travel planner (at least in comparsion to the people on this board) and having purchased our airfare in November I have ALREADY been driving my family crazy with my rambling...so I have turned to the internet! Please jump in with advice whenever you can!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

I will get to the lodging details later this weekend (or next week) but thought I would post this gem of a picture from our DL trip in 2007. We happened to go the week that HS Musical 2 was coming out. It was a crazy, fun day! Gotta love a parade with Zac Efron in a car with Minnie Mouse!!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Zac Efron looks so young in that picture above^^^! He definitely has 'grown up' in the last 5-6 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
Yup, Sherry...I just decided to get it going!! I am usually somewhat of a last minute travel planner (at least in comparsion to the people on this board) and having purchased our airfare in November I have ALREADY been driving my family crazy with my rambling...so I have turned to the internet! Please jump in with advice whenever you can!
I don't know if you saw it (because the DIS may not have sent you an e-mail alert), but I did give some Catalina advice/suggestions (specifically regarding the golf cart and staying for only one night on the island) in this post. I think I added that reply shortly before you started this thread.

The Internet is always a good place to find people who 'get' you and who understand the need to discuss, ramble and plan! People in the 'real world' don't really get it. I think my friends still don't quite get my love of Disneyland, despite the fact that 80% of the photos I post on Facebook are from there. It hasn't quite sunken in, I guess. I remember one time, a few years back, one friend asked me (when we were discussing Disneyland), "Well...which do you like better? Knott's Berry Farm or Disneyland?" I think I got a puzzled look on my face as if to say, "Knott's??!! When do you ever hear me talking about Knott's??"

People don't understand.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

The Internet is always a good place to find people who 'get' you and who understand the need to discuss, ramble and plan! People in the 'real world' don't really get it. I think my friends still don't quite get my love of Disneyland, despite the fact that 80% of the photos I post on Facebook are from there. It hasn't quite sunken in, I guess. I remember one time, a few years back, one friend asked me (when we were discussing Disneyland), "Well...which do you like better? Knott's Berry Farm or Disneyland?" I think I got a puzzled look on my face as if to say, "Knott's??!! When do you ever hear me talking about Knott's??"

People don't understand.
What a great story!!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Lodging Part 1~

The first half of our trip (Friday through Wednesday) will be spent seeing the sites of So Cal. Very rough itinerary to come soon but for now let’s talk about lodging.

Almost immediately after purchasing airfare in November I secured our lodging at the Los Feliz Lodge.

Pros:
Within our acceptable price range (at about $200 per night-although wouldn’t call it a “bargain”)
Adorable
Great Trip Advisor reviews
No parking fees (street parking-which could be a con but I asked about it and was told it isn’t a problem)
Seems to be in a pretty quiet yet centralized location (would love to hear from locals on this one!)
Separate sleeping area from the girls
Kitchen/washer and dryer/more space than standard hotel room

Cons:
The sleeping area for the girls will be an air mattress (provided) on the floor in the living room (they are young, right?).
It won’t get us into the Magic Castle Club! (I have an obsession with going here after reading OhioStateBuckeyes TR and the only way to do so is staying at the Magic Castle Inn).

With so many more Pros than Cons I am wondering why I keep questioning this choice….I guess because that is just what I do!!

A few more pictures:

Up next DL lodging....where I currently have 2 reservations and long to stay at a 3rd location.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Your hotel looks adorable!! I love how it looks on the outside, the brighter colors and all the plant life.

Were you guys thinking of doing a movie at one of the Hollywood theaters? We are going to see what is playing at Grauman's when we are there and then decide. Sadly, we miss the new wizard of oz movie at El Capitan by a few days So we can either see Mulan at El Capitan or whatever Grauman's is playing, so we'll decide when Grauman's posts their schedule.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Your hotel looks adorable!! I love how it looks on the outside, the brighter colors and all the plant life.

Were you guys thinking of doing a movie at one of the Hollywood theaters? We are going to see what is playing at Grauman's when we are there and then decide. Sadly, we miss the new wizard of oz movie at El Capitan by a few days So we can either see Mulan at El Capitan or whatever Grauman's is playing, so we'll decide when Grauman's posts their schedule.
Hi!! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I do think the hotel is adorable....I guess I need to stop second guessing it PLUS...my DL choice is a much more difficult decision so I should at least let this part go.

Not sure about a movie or not. Since we will be there the second week of July I am wondering if Monsters U will still be playing (comes out June 21st, I think). Problem is is we won't be able to wait to see it!! So to "waste" time in California seeing a movie we just saw...eh. I did see that they do character breakfasts/then movies at El Capitan so that might be an option for something different.

Do you know what is going on with the Grauman's tour? It says they have one on the website but the link doesn't have any information?? hmmm

Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
Hi!! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I do think the hotel is adorable....I guess I need to stop second guessing it PLUS...my DL choice is a much more difficult decision so I should at least let this part go.

Not sure about a movie or not. Since we will be there the second week of July I am wondering if Monsters U will still be playing (comes out June 21st, I think). Problem is is we won't be able to wait to see it!! So to "waste" time in California seeing a movie we just saw...eh. I did see that they do character breakfasts/then movies at El Capitan so that might be an option for something different.

Do you know what is going on with the Grauman's tour? It says they have one on the website but the link doesn't have any information?? hmmm

Yeah I don't think the website ever has info. Unless something unusual is going on, they will have them every day at pretty regular times. What we did was show up to Grauman's, ask about tour tickets, they told us the next time and we just hung out and look at the handprints and walked around a bit checking out the Stars on the sidewalk and taking pictures of our favorite stars or putting our feet in the star's footprints.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Yeah I don't think the website ever has info. Unless something unusual is going on, they will have them every day at pretty regular times. What we did was show up to Grauman's, ask about tour tickets, they told us the next time and we just hung out and look at the handprints and walked around a bit checking out the Stars on the sidewalk and taking pictures of our favorite stars or putting our feet in the star's footprints.
Great! Seems easy enough!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Well originally I thought I would move on to the Disneyland lodging but have decided to move on to the So Cal itinerary-although this will change..probably ALOT! But here is the “starting” point:

Friday -Arrive Burbank approx 4:30pm-Since we are traveling from EST I imagine we will be tired and not up for much so will just get dinner/groceries, etc and check into our lodging.
Saturday- Farmers Market/the Grove, Beverly Hills and Dodgers game (4:15)We always try to take in a baseball game when we are out of town (this is from last March in Sarasota, FL).

Sunday- Hollywood Blvd “stuff” (still working on what the stuff will include). I am hoping there is something “special” going on at the El Capitan for the release of Monsters University (I am sure we will have already seen in the movie but would see again if there was something going on, Griffith Observatory in the evening
A few Hollywood pictures from 2007:

Monday-Santa Monica/ Venice Beach/bus tour?
Picture from beach in 2007

Picture from SCARY Santa Monica Ferris Wheel! Can you tell I could barely look over the edge?

Tuesday-Universal OR a studio tour (WB maybe) (early to bed!)
Wednesday -pack up and head to Long beach to take the express for a day trip to Catalina Island. Upon return drive to Anaheim and check in to undecided Disneyland hotel!
A few others things I might want to squeeze in:
La Brea Tar Pits
Would LOVE to find a TV show taping but guess that is unlikely in July…would especially love to find one that we could all go to (Lucy will be ALMOST 10)
I think the Museum of Tolerance looks very interesting and I think Olivia would like it but concerned about it being too “old” for Lucy
Would love to check out Knott’s Berry Farm but it probably won’t happen. Does anyone know if they offer a discounted after 5pm type admission?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Display Modes Rate This Thread