Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
tngal
DIS Veteran

taking videos

i am trying to figure out what to do on our upcoming trip as far as what i want to use to take videos, it would require me carrying a bigger bag for it to fit, which i really dont want to do. I have a small sony handycam (lost the cord to charge the battery, but i could go buy one) and i also have 2 digital cameras. I have also been looking at a video cam at walmart, i think its by sony, that is a small handheld cam similar to the flip cams, it is waterproof and on around 85 dollars. so i guess my question is this, would you A) just buy a cord for the handheld sony cam B) use the extra digital cam for videos or C) purchase the small flip cam type camera. Thanks for your help!

Lisa
tngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Going to move this over to the Photography board as the folks over there will be able to help the most

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
John Paul
42 Wallaby Way

I would go with the newer one. Smaller and newer means better pixelation

1st trip in 1974
1980 1984 Senior Trip (Missing River Country)1985 and 86 several times 1988Contemporary 1990Kissimmee 2000Kissimmee
2006 Pop Century 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
2009 CBR 2011 CSR 2012 Poly and US and IOA 2013 to come!
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the video. Do you just want videos to post on the web? Do you want to edit your video into a home movie to play on a TV?

As far as the small Bloggie/playsport/flip camcorders.... if you have a newish smartphone with video you'll get the same if not better quality than those cameras. And you can get a case for your phone to keep it safe and dry if you feel like that's something you want for less than another device.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngal View Post
i am trying to figure out what to do on our upcoming trip as far as what i want to use to take videos, it would require me carrying a bigger bag for it to fit, which i really dont want to do. I have a small sony handycam (lost the cord to charge the battery, but i could go buy one) and i also have 2 digital cameras. I have also been looking at a video cam at walmart, i think its by sony, that is a small handheld cam similar to the flip cams, it is waterproof and on around 85 dollars. so i guess my question is this, would you A) just buy a cord for the handheld sony cam B) use the extra digital cam for videos or C) purchase the small flip cam type camera. Thanks for your help!

Lisa
The technology has gotten to the point, where you really don't *need* a separate video camera anymore. A good smart phone actually does extremely well for video, as do most newer cameras.
So if you're satisfied with the video results you get on your camera (and/or have a smart phone to use), you can easily just leave the video cameras at home.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
tngal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
The technology has gotten to the point, where you really don't *need* a separate video camera anymore. A good smart phone actually does extremely well for video, as do most newer cameras.
So if you're satisfied with the video results you get on your camera (and/or have a smart phone to use), you can easily just leave the video cameras at home.
I do not have a smart phone, i didnt even think to mention that...sorry! As for what i want to do with the video, i would like to burn them to a disc or something. just to have for our family "collection".
tngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngal View Post
I do not have a smart phone, i didnt even think to mention that...sorry! As for what i want to do with the video, i would like to burn them to a disc or something. just to have for our family "collection".
I'm just getting into video. Not sure, but I think there are ways to get video from a smart phone to a disc.

One thing I have just bought is a Canon powershot D20 for a fun camera. I got it mainly because it is waterproof. I didn't want to take an expensive camera near water/beach. It does take HD video. I've only had it for a few days but everything I have taken looks pretty good.

You can get it from BH Photo for $289.00 tax and shipping included.

Last edited by manning; 02-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: