Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
avinsmomma
Earning My Ears

Well that is a bummer! Could we bring baking soda on board to put in the bathroom? What type of air fresheners fight stinky sewer?
avinsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears

It really doesn't smell in 99.9% of staterooms!

And if it does, tell your SR host and they will either get someone to fix it or move you.

No need to bring air fresheners or baking soda for anything other than you and yours making a smell in the BR!!!!
And even then there is the vacuum of the toilet to help suck the smelly air away!

But remember ships move up/down, side to side, and front to back so plumbing issues can happen, and if they do, ask someone else to sort it out or demand to be moved if they fail to!
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsmomma
Well that is a bummer! Could we bring baking soda on board to put in the bathroom? What type of air fresheners fight stinky sewer?
Just close your bathroom doors. It's not that bad. I stayed in the same room for 2 weeks and didn't ask to move. I bring a travel air fresher spray on vacation so if you normally bring that use it. It's really not that big of a deal.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

Just close your bathroom doors. It's not that bad. I stayed in the same room for 2 weeks and didn't ask to move. I bring a travel air fresher spray on vacation so if you normally bring that use it. It's really not that big of a deal.
Yeah - we just shut the bathroom door too. It wasn't that bad; it was just a whiff from time to time....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Magic x2 - Mar Western, June Scandinavia ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/repo B2B ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1
Ive noticed it on the ships several times, and not all the times in the rooms. It took a while, and I think I know where its coming from, since we have the same problem where I work on occasion. On the floors of the bathrooms, are drains. Under the floor they are designed to hold a certain amount of water, to keep gasses etc. from backing up. If the traps, dry out for any number of reasons,(normal evaporation, wave action etc) the smell will start to come out into what ever room the trap is in. All you really need to do, is to take 2 or 3 glasses of water, and pour it down the drains in the floors. Not the 1 in the bathtub, the one on the floor. It should solve the problem. It kind of came to me after talking to a room steward who said they had solved the problem in 1 room by taping off the floor vent/drain, and here at work where in a brand new bldg, the water that is supposed to go in to the drain, everytime you turn on the sink, didnt work because debris got into the lines. Simple fix, pour a couple of glasses of water into the floor drain and see what happens.
We had the odor problem another cruise line (on deck 2) and I did the water down the drain trick and that solved the problem.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Ive noticed it on the ships several times, and not all the times in the rooms. It took a while, and I think I know where its coming from, since we have the same problem where I work on occasion. On the floors of the bathrooms, are drains. Under the floor they are designed to hold a certain amount of water, to keep gasses etc. from backing up. If the traps, dry out for any number of reasons,(normal evaporation, wave action etc) the smell will start to come out into what ever room the trap is in. All you really need to do, is to take 2 or 3 glasses of water, and pour it down the drains in the floors. Not the 1 in the bathtub, the one on the floor. It should solve the problem. It kind of came to me after talking to a room steward who said they had solved the problem in 1 room by taping off the floor vent/drain, and here at work where in a brand new bldg, the water that is supposed to go in to the drain, everytime you turn on the sink, didnt work because debris got into the lines. Simple fix, pour a couple of glasses of water into the floor drain and see what happens.
As a Buried Infrastructure Engineer, I can tell you that this is the BEST advice and will solve the issue. I am always asking/telling people who have a sewer smell in their laundry room, do you have a floor drain? When was the last time it had water poured down it? The trap in the floor drain needs to be wet to stop the smells.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears

We had a major plumbing issue that caused our room to smell like sewer. The bathtub leaked thru the wall into the carpet all the way under the bed. It didn't start till day 4, so we dealt with it, but apparently the cabin next to ours was way worse so they moved. I got an OBC for the hassle. So whoever get 7024 and 7026 this trip on the magic just got a free upgrade!!
Paigeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I mentioned the smell also on the other thread.

On the Wonder June 2012, our toilet was backed up and black debris (so gross) kept washing back into the toilet after it was flushed. Looked like parts of the plumbing or debris already caked in there. It also smelled really bad.

Snaked it twice and still didn't fix. We let GS know at the end of the cruise to take care of it before the next family moved in.

On the Wonder in 2010, the main bathroom near the lobby bar smelled really bad. It was very noticeable.

Maybe that ship has plumbing issues? We LOVE the ship and the experience, but now we know not to be surprised by it.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
GREAT ADVICE! Thanks. This always happens to us (twice on the Wonder, on top of a backed up toilet). I'll try this next time if it happens again.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

After 9 cruises on DCL never any bad smells or odors in any of our cabins. We've sailed on all 4 ships, & trust me if there were any off smells, I'd be the 1st to complain.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I never saw them pour water down there. I wonder why they didn't do that?

So would some locations on the ship be more prone to this or does it not matter where you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Truck 1 has a very good point there..........the reason it may only effect some rooms and not others has to do with the many many many pipes, engles, directions, and connections in the system. during use sometimes a vaccum developing in the pipe, drawing the water out of the trap and thereby letting the smell back up.

AKK
I dont think any 1 section/deck is any more prone then another. It all depends on how fast the trap dries out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell View Post
It really doesn't smell in 99.9% of staterooms!

And if it does, tell your SR host and they will either get someone to fix it or move you.

No need to bring air fresheners or baking soda for anything other than you and yours making a smell in the BR!!!!
And even then there is the vacuum of the toilet to help suck the smelly air away!

But remember ships move up/down, side to side, and front to back so plumbing issues can happen, and if they do, ask someone else to sort it out or demand to be moved if they fail to!
We tried that on the Magic. We were on the Magics first cruise out of drydock, on our wedding cruise, when we noticed the smell. We had it in our cabin and noticed it in the public passageways on different decks. It seemed worse at night. During the day we didnt notice it. When we called gs, they sent a plummer up and the manager for that deck we were on. They looked did different things, and we talked about the issue and at that time it didnt click. The floor manager even mentioned that hed seen the problem once before and they just taped over the drain. A year later a new bldg and the drain issue here, a glass of water and the problem was resolved and everything clicked.

In the end DCL prob wouldnt know about refilling the trap trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
We had the odor problem another cruise line (on deck 2) and I did the water down the drain trick and that solved the problem.
I will from now on, now that I finally put 2 and 2 together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
As a Buried Infrastructure Engineer, I can tell you that this is the BEST advice and will solve the issue. I am always asking/telling people who have a sewer smell in their laundry room, do you have a floor drain? When was the last time it had water poured down it? The trap in the floor drain needs to be wet to stop the smells.
Sub terraineal engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I mentioned the smell also on the other thread.

On the Wonder June 2012, our toilet was backed up and black debris (so gross) kept washing back into the toilet after it was flushed. Looked like parts of the plumbing or debris already caked in there. It also smelled really bad.

Snaked it twice and still didn't fix. We let GS know at the end of the cruise to take care of it before the next family moved in.

On the Wonder in 2010, the main bathroom near the lobby bar smelled really bad. It was very noticeable.

Maybe that ship has plumbing issues? We LOVE the ship and the experience, but now we know not to be surprised by it.
I dont think the ship has plumbing issues per se.(Ive seen the issue surface (no pun intended) on both of the classics and I wouldnt be surprised at all if it starts to show up on the Dream class.) If it did, it would fail its health/sanitary inspection and that would cost big money for a line. From talking to the plumber about the issue, (on occasion the toilet didnt flush at random times, then would flush for however many time you pressed the button) he was saying that sometimes theyll service the system, and that will cause an inadvertant issue if someone does something while they have the vaccuum off. I did see where on the Freedom of the Seas, during her sea trials, they put an artificial list on the ship, and too many crew took a shower at the same time and grey water backed up in the system into some of the cabins. Its not a design flaw, the system is designed for certain parameters, and those parameters were exceeded.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsmomma View Post
If I were going to do anything, it would be
A. Refill the floor drains as soon as I got onboard.
b. Bring some cheap dryer sheets. They work better at absorbing smell then any aerosol or other product I have tried. I made the mistake of leaving a gas pressure washer in the back of my explorer for 2 days in the Florida summer. My truck smelled like gas to the point of making me sick for at least 3 days afterwards. No matter how long I left the windows open, the smell never dissapated. When I stopped at my Ford dealer and was talking to the service tech on what they had to clear the smell, he told me about the dryer sheets. Ran to a big box store, got a cheap box, spread a bunch around my truck, and less the 3 hours later the smell was gone. I still spread a few out to keep my truck smelling fresh and clean.

Quote:
Depends. On some nights, it wasnt bad, and there was 1 or 2 that almost made my wife throw up.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
camarks1234
Mouseketeer

My Mom & Dad had a smelly room on the Wonder a couple years ago.
9/17/09 - BB Cruise

AJ's MAW Pretrip Report
AJ's Post Trip Report Celebration Continued
Photo Album
camarks1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
Time4disney
Mouseketeer

Been on 6 cruises.....3 on the Wonder and 3 on the Dream. Our bathroom on the Dream had a sewer smell on our last cruise in June. Pouring water down the drain helped. This was the only cruise where we smelled it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
. If you notice they 'empty' brown stuff (don't know what that is) under water from one side of the ship (we were starboard side) every morning when the ship docks. That kind of stank too.
Boy, that would be illegal if they did that. I think what you saw during docking was dirt from the ocean bottom, or the shore stirred up by the side thrusters on the ship during docking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: