Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
dumbolove
Mouseketeer

Couple Resort vs. value

Hello everyone! Does anyone have a favorite resort to stay at as a couple with no kids? Would have to go moderate or value. Is the extra money worth it for a moderate over value? Looking into going next January...would probably be over marathon weekend. Also, when is the best time to book your favorite resort!?
dumbolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
j-me
Mouseketeer

We LOVED POR and are going to POFQ in March.. We loved the boat to DTD, the slower paced atmosphere of POR. When we were booking this trip I read something that sealed the deal.. that might help you.. Value resorts.. Noisy, crabby kids/families, small rooms, crowded buses/food court/ pools etc and alot of walking. Rooms were small and lots of kid noises. (we found that out in 07.. middle of the night crying baby) POR or POFQ.. quieter, slower paced and larger rooms. I vote you pick one of the PO resorts. Have fun planning
2/2007 Off-site condo & All Star Movies]:
5/2005 GKTW..our son's Make A Wish Trip
1991..Honeymoon offsite
1987 Downtown Disney
1977 Off-site
j-me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Peanut
Mouseketeer

Probably POFQ. I haven't stayed there, but I have stayed at POR. We walked over to POFQ a few times. It was much smaller than POR. It was very lovely too. It seems more suited for couples than the other mods. If you need to stay at a value resort, my choice would be ASMu. Pop and ASMo seem to be more popular; therefore, more crowded. ASSp has a sports theme (obviously )and unless you two are athletes, I don't think it's a good fit for a couple. AoA is definitely set up for families.
MY DISNEY WEDDING! Jan '04 GF, POR, & BWV
Pop Oct '04, CBR Oct '06, CSR Dec '07, POR Nov '08, ASMu Mar '13
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

I would choose POFQ. It's much smaller than the values, quieter, has a quaint feeling, prettier grounds, larger rooms & beds, and has a calmer/more relaxing environment.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-me View Post
We LOVED POR and are going to POFQ in March.. We loved the boat to DTD, the slower paced atmosphere of POR. When we were booking this trip I read something that sealed the deal.. that might help you.. Value resorts.. Noisy, crabby kids/families, small rooms, crowded buses/food court/ pools etc and alot of walking. Rooms were small and lots of kid noises. (we found that out in 07.. middle of the night crying baby) POR or POFQ.. quieter, slower paced and larger rooms. I vote you pick one of the PO resorts. Have fun planning
Ditto ! POR IMO is perfect for a "couples" only WDW vacation resort. Very quaint and even romantic. Lovely grounds to stroll, the boat to DTD is great, you can even book a horse and buggy ride. And...as opposed to the values they have a sit-down restaurant and bar area which you will not usually find at the values. Plus quiet pools. Stayed 1st trip at ASMo, was cute for families w/kids, but would not stay there again, even with kids. POR is my hubby's favorite resort. I love it to, it's just that I think I'm getting spoiled at the Deluxes...
Staying at a mod vs. a value is always worth the extra $$ IMO. And I'm sure you will find a decent discount in January and it is value season I believe. I would book as soon as you decide that you are definitely going. 1/2 the fun of going to WDW is in the planning ahead of time.

P.S. Check out www.allears.net if you haven;'t already. Tons of great info and pics of each resort and everything Disney ! Have fun !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
dumbolove
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Thing POFQ is the winner! Will be booking it in the next month!!! Thanks for the website....definitely will use! Does anyone have any thoughts on dining plans? What you like or don't like between the regular one and the deluxe? We came back three weeks ago from the ASMovies and did the deluxe. I said than it was too much, however, a lot of the dining I like to do are two pointers. Is it worth giving up the nicer places or paying out of pocket elsewhere. I haven't had a chance to calculate the price differences...
dumbolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbolove View Post
Thanks everyone! Thing POFQ is the winner! Will be booking it in the next month!!! Thanks for the website....definitely will use! Does anyone have any thoughts on dining plans? What you like or don't like between the regular one and the deluxe? We came back three weeks ago from the ASMovies and did the deluxe. I said than it was too much, however, a lot of the dining I like to do are two pointers. Is it worth giving up the nicer places or paying out of pocket elsewhere. I haven't had a chance to calculate the price differences...
I agree that POFQ is the resort to choose. With respect to dining plans, I don't buy them anymore. We do better just choosing a few restaurants for our nice meals and then going with the flow the rest of the time. You can calculate it out and figure out if it is worth it to you.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

I tried to figure out if the dining plan would actually save us money and found that for us it would not work. The cost is approx $55/day per adult. We do a few Buffet Character breakfasts or even sit-down breakfasts, most cost us under $25 a piece, then add an $8 or $9 counter service that day and 2 snacks well looks like those days we would only be spending about $40-$45 at most. Doesn't pay for us. For kids if you're doing quite a few Character meals, yes. Children are only about $17/day for Meal plan. And sometimes we'd rather just grab a soup/salad and appetizers at our favorite restaurants which the meal plan does not allow. I too would rather go on our own and not be committed to ADR's and what's included and whats not. Have a great time at POFQ. The PO resorts are beautiful !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Hate to spoil the POFQ love fest, but we love Coronado Springs for adults. Great pool, beach and hammocks to relax, a nice outdoor bar, and rooms with king beds!

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12
Next - AKL Oct 13
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

I think no matter where you go there will be kids at the resorts.

However, Coronado Springs seems like it has the best place for couples. They use it alot for trade shows and conventions so its alot more business.

I would try that if you want to stay in a quiet spot for a couple.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Queen View Post
Hate to spoil the POFQ love fest, but we love Coronado Springs for adults. Great pool, beach and hammocks to relax, a nice outdoor bar, and rooms with king beds!
I agree, it seems like PO has many more kids than CS
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
catra121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbolove View Post
I would say it depends on what you want to spend your time doing on your trip. Especially on a couples trip I would want to do the deluxe dining plan because we go at a slower pace and there's less "rushing around" than when I go with my whole family. If you plan to split yourselves between TS (even 2 credit ones) and QS though it might just be better to go without it and pay OOP. Personally...I would do it either way because I LOVE the convenience of the dining plan and don't care whether I save money or not...but if savings are your primary concern then it may be best to go without it. Only way to know for sure is to run the numbers to see if it will save you though.

Stayed at: Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Pop Century April 2013, and September 2013 Pop Century and AoA Lion King Suite
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: