Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
I'm still confused by this also. On the Dream, you have to walk right by the pool to get to the forward elevators. On the Wonder, there is an outer area, separated by a small wall, most would use if they had kids to get through. It seems to be one of the larger complaints adults have with the area on the new ships. I am not sure what walls you are referring to on the Dream? Now Satelite Falls on the Fantasy ( and the same space on the Dream) was more easily kept adults only. My kids were having a fit wanting to get to me, but they couldn't. But they wouldn't come into the pool area either. I told them they just had to ask a CM...geesh!
On the Dream, to get into the Cove area from Midship, there are floor to ceiling dividers (you sort of zigzagged through them) to keep all but adults and those trying to get to their staterooms in concierge (and some of those are kids) out of that section. Yes, once past those dividers the pool wasn't separated, but you had to decide that you wanted to go through the dividers. Same on the next deck up - kids didn't just walk all the way around and look down onto the Cove pool on the Dream like they could on the Wonder. On the Wonder, there is a half wall between the walkway part of the deck and the pool, but anyone taller than 3 feet can certainly see over it, and in my case, right down the bikini top of the woman sunbathing in the lounger nearest to the walkway.

I'm just saying it didn't seem as private of an adult area to me. There are walkways between the midship areas and the forward areas (spa, basketball court, foosball and game areas), and since I walked by there 3-4 times a day, I assume most other people did too. There were always kids running up to the basketball courts from the Vibe/midship elevators, or from the pools. You could see into the Cove Cafe from deck 10 above, which wasn't an adult area, whereas on the Dream you'd have to go through the dividers and it was an adult area.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

There will always be people who complain about something, particularly with the cost and long term anticipation of a vacation of a lifetime. We just hit platinum, and will be on the Wonder in April. Is it as shiny and new as the Dream or Fantasy? No. Does it feel less crowded? IMHO, YES. We are all adults now and spend very little time in the kid areas. Walking through the Goofy Pool area on a sea day on the Dream and Fantasy is pretty crazy. Not so much on the Wonder and Magic.

I love the expanded Cove Cafe on the Wonder with its winterized upper deck. And I definitely prefer the quiet cove pool to the comically small crock pot of adult soup on the Dream.

Itinerary is where the Wonder and Magic rule. Not anywhere near as crowded at Castaway Cay, and still able to dock in Key West and sail through the Panama Canal.

Put me in the IT'S A FREAKIN DISNEY SHIP/NO COMPLAINTS category.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
On the Dream, to get into the Cove area from Midship, there are floor to ceiling dividers (you sort of zigzagged through them) to keep all but adults and those trying to get to their staterooms in concierge (and some of those are kids) out of that section. Yes, once past those dividers the pool wasn't separated, but you had to decide that you wanted to go through the dividers. Same on the next deck up - kids didn't just walk all the way around and look down onto the Cove pool on the Dream like they could on the Wonder. On the Wonder, there is a half wall between the walkway part of the deck and the pool, but anyone taller than 3 feet can certainly see over it, and in my case, right down the bikini top of the woman sunbathing in the lounger nearest to the walkway.

I'm just saying it didn't seem as private of an adult area to me. There are walkways between the midship areas and the forward areas (spa, basketball court, foosball and game areas), and since I walked by there 3-4 times a day, I assume most other people did too. There were always kids running up to the basketball courts from the Vibe/midship elevators, or from the pools. You could see into the Cove Cafe from deck 10 above, which wasn't an adult area, whereas on the Dream you'd have to go through the dividers and it was an adult area.

Nancy
Ok, I kind of get what you are saying, but I think ( my mind is fuzzy) that those same dividers are on the wonder on the pool deck of the Wonder? And Deck 12 on the Dream, above the pool, is not adult only, the part with the wading pool. That is for everyone. Deck 13 forward, past the adult pool is adults only. Any which way, there are kids that go through on both, probably just depends on the cruise.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
Will I be disappointed after the Dream and Fantasy? Not with the activities... but with the way the ship looks? Just curious how well the older ships are taken care of.
The classic vessels have the same liner style as the Dream class and have been very well maintianed, after all the classics are just approaching middle age.

Next Sept/Oct the Magic is going in for her mid life refit, 6 to 8 weeks of work to renew and up grade.

Now to answer your question..............NO, you will not be disappionted.

Have a great cruise.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

We sailed the Fantasy in April and the Wonder in December. DH and I were split, I liked the Wonder better and he liked the Fantasy better but had no complaints about the Wonder, he just missed the Aqua Duck and Mid Ship. I like a smaller ship better, I feel less like a number and it is more personal. We both liked the adult pool better on the Wonder and deck 4 for running better on the Fantasy. We are booked on the Magic in May. Each ships comes with positves and negatives but no matter what, you will be on a Disney ship!
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
peaceluv&mickeymouse
Mouseketeer

We sailed on the Wonder and loved it. However that was in 2002!! We just booked our second Disney cruise for June2014 on the Fantasy. The pics of this ship look amazing.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

We just got off January 19th :-( but loved, loved, loved it as always!! They were constantly (not obtrusively) doing maintenance on it. Crowds were nice and small...felt like we had the ship to ourselves!
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #23
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCNuts View Post
There will always be people who complain about something, particularly with the cost and long term anticipation of a vacation of a lifetime. We just hit platinum, and will be on the Wonder in April. Is it as shiny and new as the Dream or Fantasy? No. Does it feel less crowded? IMHO, YES. We are all adults now and spend very little time in the kid areas. Walking through the Goofy Pool area on a sea day on the Dream and Fantasy is pretty crazy. Not so much on the Wonder and Magic.

I love the expanded Cove Cafe on the Wonder with its winterized upper deck. And I definitely prefer the quiet cove pool to the comically small crock pot of adult soup on the Dream.

Itinerary is where the Wonder and Magic rule. Not anywhere near as crowded at Castaway Cay, and still able to dock in Key West and sail through the Panama Canal.

Put me in the IT'S A FREAKIN DISNEY SHIP/NO COMPLAINTS category.
Totally agree. When there were just two Disney ships, and the Wonder sailed the 3-4 day cruises I figured we'd never go on that ship. But they (obviously) changed the itineraries and we've sailed the Wonder through the Panama Canal and to Hawaii. Right now I'm wondering if (when) we'll sail on the Dream, because we've BTDT with Nassau.

The Fantasy is amazing, tho I prefer the smaller ships and their itineraries.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: