Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy
Look at it from DCL's point of view.

Currently guests book through DCL, so DCL has to pay their staff to answer the phones and process the reservations. Just prior to pay in full customers now transfer their reservation to a Travel Agent, so DCL had to pay their staff for all the initial work, plus now a TA commission.

DCL is just saying if we are going to pay a travel agent a commission we need to make them do the work so we do not have to pay DCL staff too.

Sure, it is to save DCL money, but it is better than reducing TA commissions which would be another way to reduce their reservation expense .
I just don't see how they can't give people 30 days from today. That would be horrible.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if this applies to Costco as well? Some do not transfer reservations to Costco until a little prior to the PIF date.
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B
Does anyone know if this applies to Costco as well? Some do not transfer reservations to Costco until a little prior to the PIF date.
Wondering the same thing....
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post

Currently guests book through DCL, so DCL has to pay their staff to answer the phones and process the reservations. Just prior to pay in full customers now transfer their reservation to a Travel Agent, so DCL had to pay their staff for all the initial work, plus now a TA commission.

DCL is just saying if we are going to pay a travel agent a commission we need to make them do the work so we do not have to pay DCL staff too.

Sure, it is to save DCL money, but it is better than reducing TA commissions which would be another way to reduce their reservation expense .
This really isn't changing this, except that it has to be done within 30 days. Guests can still book through DCL (staff has to do the initial work) then transfer. It it just going to change how people do their dummy bookings for the most part. They already reduce the TA commission if it is a transfer. I think this is more to get people to commit to either them or a TA. How many people booked their first cruise through DCL's website, came on the DIS and found they could get more OBC by simply transferring to a TA?

It isn't just with DCL either. Remember when not too long ago TAs could offer a discount on the cruise and people could compare that way? DCL is just searching for a way to keep more of the initial cost themselves, and I am sure others lines have either already done so, or will soon follow, just like the discounting. Heck, OBC isn't what it used to be either! I used to want to become a TA, but it seems they have to struggle more and more to make it worthwhile for them and their customers.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #35
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It applies to all TAs. DCL can basically do what they want. They changed the OBC effective immediately when they make that change. There was no -- you have a week to move your dummy date to the cruise date you really want to keep that $275 OBC for golds and $350 OBC for platinums. It was effective immediately. One day I am expecting DCL to say that you can no longer move an OBB and keep the benefits attached to it. They own the ships and they can change the rules whenever they want.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #36
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
It applies to all TAs. DCL can basically do what they want. They changed the OBC effective immediately when they make that change. There was no -- you have a week to move your dummy date to the cruise date you really want to keep that $275 OBC for golds and $350 OBC for platinums. It was effective immediately. One day I am expecting DCL to say that you can no longer move an OBB and keep the benefits attached to it. They own the ships and they can change the rules whenever they want.
Shhhhhhh, don't say that!!!

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #37
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i'm a bit confused so here's what I normally do, let me know if you think it is still the same.....
I book when I see what I want, get the room I want and then rebook while on board which gives us the obc. I only do this if the price is similar but it usually is. while on board, I then tf it to the ta. so would I still be able to do this? they actually cancel the first booking and rebook on board right?
sorry if this is confusing, you would think I could understand a small change.
oh, as a ot, I have Disney pop ups on my fb as well and never saw the announcement. I just signed in and went to the dcl page and it doesn't show. how strange.....maybe they took it down?

If the price isn't better with the OBB, then you are stuck with the original booking and if it is 30 days past when you booked, you wouldn't be able to transfer it.

The news didn't appear on a DCL FB page. It was announced by individual TAs.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #38
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

I wonder how this is going to change the behaviors of people who are looking to gain additional OBC or Costco Gift Cards when transferring to an agent who is offering additional perks?

DCL may have caught onto these people and are saying enough especially when there call center people are doing most of the work and then have to pay a TA commission on top of it.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August * 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-April
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
Wondering the same thing....
Why wouldn't it? Costco is just another TA (it just doesn't assign a person to each account).

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post

All of that will still happen, there's just a time limit to it for each individual booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
Costco Travel is just a travel agent.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
This applies to ALL TA transfers.
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
DCL is following all of the other lines leads. Carnival transfer is 30 days. Royal Caribbean's and Celebrity's is 60 days. It has been floated to reduce all transferred reservation commissions to 5% versus the 10% they are paying now. In the next five years, the mass market lines (which includes DCL) will no longer be paying travel agent commissions.
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #43
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
But the policy just came out today. How can they penalize you for violating a policy that didnt exist?
What penalty? Disney never promised you anything for transferring or not transferring to a TA. Disney hasn't broken any promise to you.

You have the right to cancel and rebook with the TA to get OBC or whatever is being offered, but then you'd lose the 'contract' you have with Disney for whatever is in your current booking.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
DCL announced today that reservations can only be transferred to a TA within 30 days of making the reservation.

This is probably an attempt to limit guests making a reservation and then shopping around for the best TA perks after all the "work" on the reservation has been completed by DCL. I guess the lesson is that guests should do their homework and book thru the TA initially. There is no change in onboard bookings as far as I know, beyond the new 30 day rule.
Thanks for alerting us to this change in policy
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #45
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post
Just confirmed with DCL that this policy change is now in affect.

If this is something you are not happy about send an email to dcl.guest.communications@disney.com - they claim that they want happy guests so if they make a policy change that doesn't make you happy let them know.
That address is no good - bounces back with user unknown...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: