Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #31
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmother View Post
Thanks!! How crazy are those 2 am departures from Lima? Was the check in at the Lima airport in Lima to come home a little crazy at midnight?
It was actually great. We had a nice dinner, took a shower (ABD books your room for you, even though you're leaving that night) and then headed over. The people working at the airport were super nice, security was very efficient. One of our better overall airport experiences. Once we got on the plane, everyone went right to sleep. It wasn't like the night flights from the US to Europe where they keep you up with bustle for a couple of hours.
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
queenmother
Earning My Ears

That is good news, I am studying my Peru Fodors too, Lima chapter, if we fly in a day early we can see some catacombs with actual skulls! Fun for teenagers I would think. There is a bike tour as well. And pre-inca pyramids right in Lima. I think we will enjoy an extra day there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #33
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Thanks!! How crazy are those 2 am departures from Lima? Was the check in at the Lima airport in Lima to come home a little crazy at midnight?
What airline are you flying home with? We flew with LAN, and yes, even in the middle of the night, the line is crazy long.

I was in Peru mid October (not with ABD, which I previously mentioned), but wanted to come on here to to tell everybody that one cannot emphasize enough the importance of pants/long sleeves and bug spray at Machu Picchu. The sand flies are horrid. I recieved a total of maybe 6 bites on my arms (had to take of my long sleeves as it was so hot, but I wish I didn't). 4 of those bites I still have, and I returned Oct 22. They were healing, but a few days before Thanksgiving, they began to get worse. Red, swollen, began to spread, etc. I ended up having to be seen and was given steroids for them.

I know that my case was that I was allergic to the saliva in these bugs, and thay may not be the case for everybody. Just please be prepared.

If any of you are on tripadvisor as well, there is a thread 19 pages long on these bites, some people had them for several months.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
kristilew
DIS Veteran

The ABD guides did have really good bug spray for us...We were there in June and had long sleeves and jeans because it was a little cooler. There definitely were midges and other biting bugs, but they didn't bother us once we were sprayed. Maybe they are worse when it is hotter?
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I spoke to ABD today and found out that there are 42 people booked on our departure date and that it's 91% full. That makes full 46. When did the maximum group size go up? Has anybody seen that information on the website recently? I know it used to say 40, but I can't find anything about it now.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
The ABD guides did have really good bug spray for us...We were there in June and had long sleeves and jeans because it was a little cooler. There definitely were midges and other biting bugs, but they didn't bother us once we were sprayed. Maybe they are worse when it is hotter?
Possible. But I do not want to be the guinea pig to find out!! Lol. My bites are almost completely healed, but they left scars.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
queenmother
Earning My Ears

Bobo, are you doing the March or the summer dates? July?
We haven't booked the flights yet, I am trying for some frequent flier award tickets. Soon.
Thanks for the bugbite tips. Long sleeves and DEET will be our friends.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bobo, are you doing the March or the summer dates? July?
We haven't booked the flights yet, I am trying for some frequent flier award tickets. Soon.
Thanks for the bugbite tips. Long sleeves and DEET will be our friends.
We booked the March trip.

I am a bit concerned about the insects. DS is a bug magnet, so I want to have plenty of heavy duty bug spray. I saw a link to a blog on the Lindblad/Nat Geo Facebook page about a traveler who missed his flight in Lima because his luggage didn't make it through security. And the reason was the bug spray he put in his checked bags. I know from previous posts that some ABD'ers have taken bug spray to Peru, but now I'm worried. They took this guy off the plane and wouldn't let his wife come with him. When we were flying home from Ecuador, I was taken to a luggage handling area while my bags were searched. There was nothing suspicious in my bags. They just select people at random. But I had to leave my then 11-year-old son at the gate and the plane was boarding by the time I got back. Luckily, he was with friends from the tour, but I'm sure he was nearing the point of freaking out. And so was I.

Here's the guy's story. Everything turned out okay, but I can just imagine how stressful this was. He was going to the Amazon. Maybe the area he was traveling to had restrictions on insect repellant. But I would think it would be a necessity in the Amazon.

http://www.expeditions.com/blog/2012...zon-adventure/

Last edited by Bobo912; 12-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #39
queenmother
Earning My Ears

That is a concerning story. According to the Lan website, the repellants are allowed in checked luggage up to a limit; see below which I copied from them.

"Medicinal items or toiletries, non-radioactive (including aerosols), such as hairspray, perfume, cologne, repellents and medicine containing alcohol. The total net amount of all the articles mentioned above should not exceed 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs.) or 2 liters (2 qt) and the net amount of each article should not exceed 0.5 kilograms or 0.5 liters (1 pt). The valves should be covered with a protective cap or by another appropriate method that prevents the inadvertent release of its contents."

It sounds like they (Lan or the Peruvians?) were overzealous at the Lima airport to me. Even the State Dept website recommends we bring our own repellant from the US. I think we will be fine up to the above limits.

Which airline does ABD use to fly from Lima to Cusco?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #40
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

ABD also has insect repellant on their list of items to pack. I'm going to pack one in my bag and one in DS's. At least that way, if they have an issue maybe they'll remove both of us from the plane.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #41
standardgirl
believing in magic

Just want to say hi to everyone - we're finally booked for the Adults only trip to Peru this October!

Need to start looking at flights now, but the plan so far is to fly with Delta, arriving a day early (since the ATL-LIM flight otherwise doesn't arrive until after 10pm...), and leaving "a day later" (well, the return is just past midnight, so technically a day later, but not really).

Looking forward to meeting others on this trip

2009 Bahamas Wonder | 2010 Mediterranean Magic | 2011 Alaska Wonder | 2012 Canada Magic | 2013 Western Fantasy
Tokyo x2 | California x2 | Florida WDW x6 | Hong Kong x1 | Paris Disneyland in planning
2013 ABD Peru

wendy rich dale tinker dora | purring forever chip (2003-2007)
standardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #42
abbyjt
Mouseketeer

We booked the October Adults only Peru trip a little before New Years. The price has gone up twice since we booked. Glad we took the plunge when we did. This will be our 9th ABD (didn't go on the 8th yet, it's coming up this summer) This will be our first Adults only trip.

ABDs: Norway (9/14), Austria, Germany & Czech Republic (6/14); Peru (10/13); Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos (6/13); Italy (10/12); Greece (6/12); China (7/11); South Africa (6/09); Germany (6/08); Spain (6/07); London/Paris (6/06)
abbyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #43
standardgirl
believing in magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyjt View Post
We booked the October Adults only Peru trip a little before New Years. The price has gone up twice since we booked. Glad we took the plunge when we did. This will be our 9th ABD (didn't go on the 8th yet, it's coming up this summer) This will be our first Adults only trip.
Hi Abbyjt . We'll be on the same trip! First ABD ever so I'm really excited!

Kind of want to hit myself in the head as the price literally just went up a couple days before we booked... We were too busy sorting out another trip and were traveling during Christmas so never got to book until now. Anyway, still excited!

2009 Bahamas Wonder | 2010 Mediterranean Magic | 2011 Alaska Wonder | 2012 Canada Magic | 2013 Western Fantasy
Tokyo x2 | California x2 | Florida WDW x6 | Hong Kong x1 | Paris Disneyland in planning
2013 ABD Peru

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
Boardwalk_bride
Married in WDW :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardgirl View Post
Hi Abbyjt . We'll be on the same trip! First ABD ever so I'm really excited!

Kind of want to hit myself in the head as the price literally just went up a couple days before we booked... We were too busy sorting out another trip and were traveling during Christmas so never got to book until now. Anyway, still excited!
We will be on your trip as well! This will also be our first ABD.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
standardgirl
believing in magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk_bride

We will be on your trip as well! This will also be our first ABD.
I can't wait for the trip! Booked air ticket already too!

We'll arrive on Wednesday and are thinking about either going to the Colca Canyon or the Nazca lines (staying in Paracas). We thought about Lake Titicaca but three days just seem rather rush, so we'll probably ave that when visiting Bolivia, I guess.

Now just need to find a reputable tour agency...

2013 ABD Peru

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: