Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

Children on Board - how many?

We will be sailing out of Galveston on 4/26. I figure it's after most SB weeks but before school lets out for the year.

I have a 5 & 3 YO.

I've never done a Disney cruise before -- how crazy will the Kids Clubs be at the point? Should I expect mass chaos?
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,419

In early December it has been announced at the kid show that there were 1200 kids ages 3-12 onboard. That didn't include the teens. Never really felt crowded to us, the ship is usually full. There are just a lot of kids. We always cruised during school dates until DS hit 7th grade.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

When we cruised in Nov. not during a school holiday, there were a lot of younger kids (babies through about age 10), but not many of the older school aged kids. When we cruised at Christmas there were a LOT of kids.

I think you'll find a good number of 3 and 5 year olds. They only allow so many so that every child on board can go to the club for that age group.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

DCL controls the number of kids on board within any age group. They have a maximum that they will book. That means that they are ready to handle the number that is on board.

We've been on cruises with under 400 kids and over 1500....and it all works.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,636

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
We will be sailing out of Galveston on 4/26. I figure it's after most SB weeks but before school lets out for the year.

I have a 5 & 3 YO.

I've never done a Disney cruise before -- how crazy will the Kids Clubs be at the point? Should I expect mass chaos?
I think SB is less of an issue on Disney since it seems Disney cruisers are much more inclined to take their children out of school for a vacation.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears
 
Paigeanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 45

We just got off the Magic. 2600 guest, 1183 were kids. We stood in line for an hour to check them in the 1st morning at sea, but it got MUCH better after that 1st time.
Paigeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Beckers419
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 2

We'll be on that cruise, DH, myself, and my 4 year old son.
Beckers419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigeanne View Post
We just got off the Magic. 2600 guest, 1183 were kids. We stood in line for an hour to check them in the 1st morning at sea, but it got MUCH better after that 1st time.
Wow. Just..wow. I'm just amazed at how Disney can run 40%+ children and yet every one of them that goes to the children's program seems to have a great time! I mean... how do they handle that kind of volume? Looking at the photos, the club&lab just don't seem THAT big.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckers419 View Post
We'll be on that cruise, DH, myself, and my 4 year old son.
Hi! Amazing how fast it's coming up isn't it? It seems forever away. BUT I know I'll blink and we'll be on our way!
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 37

cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main-archive/decks.php?ship=Disney+Magic

Look at deck 5 and compared to the Atrium, the spaces are huge! lol!
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell View Post
cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main-archive/decks.php?ship=Disney+Magic

Look at deck 5 and compared to the Atrium, the spaces are huge! lol!
Yes, they are big spaces. But we're talking the potential of 40% of passengers PLUS the support staff to care for said passengers on 1/2 of 1 deck at the same exact time. I can see the potential for serious crowding.

No one does crowds like Disney. But the logistics to me are just mind boggling.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
Yes, they are big spaces. But we're talking the potential of 40% of passengers PLUS the support staff to care for said passengers on 1/2 of 1 deck at the same exact time. I can see the potential for serious crowding.

No one does crowds like Disney. But the logistics to me are just mind boggling.
OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,657

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell View Post
OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!
I don't think mbrocker is being judgemental. I think he/she was marveling at the fact that DCL can do it.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
Wow. Just..wow. I'm just amazed at how Disney can run 40%+ children and yet every one of them that goes to the children's program seems to have a great time! I mean... how do they handle that kind of volume? Looking at the photos, the club&lab just don't seem THAT big.
Not all of the kids are between the ages of 3 - 12. There are alots of tweens & teens, along with toddlers who use different spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell View Post
OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!
After 74 days of experience with having kids in the clubs, from ages 3 & 5 in the beginning to 12 & 14 now, we have been extremely happy with what has been provided. When they were younger and I observed some activities, they were very organized and the kids loved them. The kids can't wait to go back to the Edge next month.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I don't think mbrocker is being judgemental. I think he/she was marveling at the fact that DCL can do it.
THIS.

No, I am amazed. As I said before, never heard a bad word about the kids clubs .. yet there are like, a gazillion children on board.

I've been to WDW and DL when there are wall to wall people just walking down main street.. yet, they seem to keep everything chugging along. I just think they have some really great minds working constantly on crowd control and attraction logistics.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Really really looking forward to our Magic cruise.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.