Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
hayesfamof4
Mouseketeer
 
hayesfamof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 135

Do you ever pay full price for concierge?

So, we were going to attempt to upgrade to concierge on our April 27th cruise. There were 4 rooms left... now it's down to 1. It's a 5 night and would cost $3,000 more to upgrade. We upgraded last October on the 4 night for concierge and had a huge 1 bedroom suite. It was amazing. We paid $700 to upgrade. I am debating the upgrade now since it doesn't look like we will get a room at the port. For those who do concierge - do you do it full price or only if you can get an upgrade at the port? We are in a 4A room right now. How do you go back to that after a 1 bedroom suite?
__________________
*B2B Cruises on the Disney Dream - 3 night Cruise and 4 night Cruise - November 14, 2013 and November 17, 2013
*Disney Dream-4 night Halloween Cruise-October 28, 2012
*Disney Fantasy-7 night Eastern Cruise - April 21, 2012
*Disney Dream-3 nights-May 19, 2011
hayesfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
bzss7x
Mr. Incredible went to LSU
 
bzss7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LSU! LSU! LSU!
Posts: 116

We have upgraded and paid in full. However, on the classic ships, I don't think the difference is quite as noticeable (no lounge, sun deck, etc). I'd just try to get an upgrade at port by getting there early. Regardless, Cat 4A is still a great room.
__________________
2004 Wonder 4 Nights to Bahamas
2009 Wonder 4 Nights to Bahamas
2012 Fantasy 7 Nights to Eastern Caribbean in Walt Disney Suite
2013 Wonder 7 Nights to Alaska

WDW - 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Disneyland - 2008
bzss7x is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
hayesfamof4
Mouseketeer
 
hayesfamof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 135

Thank you!! I will stick with the 4A and attempt an upgrade at the port. That 3,000 would pay for another cruise this fall.
__________________
*B2B Cruises on the Disney Dream - 3 night Cruise and 4 night Cruise - November 14, 2013 and November 17, 2013
*Disney Dream-4 night Halloween Cruise-October 28, 2012
*Disney Fantasy-7 night Eastern Cruise - April 21, 2012
*Disney Dream-3 nights-May 19, 2011
hayesfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
So, we were going to attempt to upgrade to concierge on our April 27th cruise. There were 4 rooms left... now it's down to 1. It's a 5 night and would cost $3,000 more to upgrade. We upgraded last October on the 4 night for concierge and had a huge 1 bedroom suite. It was amazing. We paid $700 to upgrade. I am debating the upgrade now since it doesn't look like we will get a room at the port. For those who do concierge - do you do it full price or only if you can get an upgrade at the port? We are in a 4A room right now. How do you go back to that after a 1 bedroom suite?
It is all about Disney's grand plan to assimilate you into its world. By having you upgrade at the port, you are much more apt to pay full freight next time around. For example, on our first stay at the Grand Floridian, we were upgraded to a concierge building for no cost whatsoever. Well, next time we went to Disney, my wife said we HAD TO stay in a concierge room if we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Thanks, Disney. Please take even more of my money. Disney cruises are based on the same thought. If you get a concierge cabin for a nominal port upgrade charge, you might be more tempted to book one on the front end next time. At least that is what I think is going on. Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.

Not really advice, just comments, I guess.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club
 
Silverfox97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 6,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun

It is all about Disney's grand plan to assimilate you into its world. By having you upgrade at the port, you are much more apt to pay full freight next time around. For example, on our first stay at the Grand Floridian, we were upgraded to a concierge building for no cost whatsoever. Well, next time we went to Disney, my wife said we HAD TO stay in a concierge room if we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Thanks, Disney. Please take even more of my money. Disney cruises are based on the same thought. If you get a concierge cabin for a nominal port upgrade charge, you might be more tempted to book one on the front end next time. At least that is what I think is going on. Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.

Not really advice, just comments, I guess.

DWF
ITA. I think this is why the majority (not all) of VGT bookings get Cat 4s, or even how on some cruises, inside folks got ocean view or even verandah rooms. I too am in that camp - verandah cabin ONLY (albeit I would take a Cat 8A on deck 5 of the new ships).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Emily Scott Isabelle Tiger Bogey Zoe Singer Brutus
PLATINUM DCL Cruisers~ WDW Annual passholders since September 2007!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran
 
darkwing818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,690

We've done it both ways on the Dream, last year sailing in October there were a # of cabins open so we rolled the dice & upgraded at the port ($680). When we booked our January 2nd cruise while on board in October, there were no concierge cabins available, we booked a 4A & waitlisted for concierge which we got at full price. We've already booked New Years Eve this year at full price. We're looking to upgrade at the port in October, if we sail, there are quite a few cabins open, at this time. Full disclosure: our Concierge cabins were the standard cabin not a 1 bedroom, so the difference betweeen a 4A & concierge was nowhere close to $3,000 which made it more a bit easier on the wallet.



I think your strategy of trying for an upgrade at port might pay off.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
NurseDave
Mouseketeer
 
NurseDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 342

Bummer, checked for our cruise in April and they are all sold out.
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun
Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.
I see the price difference as the cheaper port upgrade also losing the privilege of the 120-day booking window advantage. Yes, you are still put at the top of the wait list for sold out things (like a CC cabana), but if no one cancels...
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
hayesfamof4
Mouseketeer
 
hayesfamof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 135

When we upgraded to concierge in October, we got a cabana (apparently concierge holds some back from what I was told). I ended up with a cabana this time (for our April cruise) but we're going to cross our fingers for an upgrade. If not, it's no biggie, since we won't even drink nearly $3,000 in alcohol to justify paying full price for the upgrade now. We cruise twice a year so if this lucks out, usually we can get the upgrade in the fall
__________________
*B2B Cruises on the Disney Dream - 3 night Cruise and 4 night Cruise - November 14, 2013 and November 17, 2013
*Disney Dream-4 night Halloween Cruise-October 28, 2012
*Disney Fantasy-7 night Eastern Cruise - April 21, 2012
*Disney Dream-3 nights-May 19, 2011
hayesfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

I'm sure this is the plan with upgrades....and once you've done concierge, you don't want to go back.

True that on the cruise, you lose the 120 day window if you upgrade at the port....but the onboard concierge will get you whatever he/he can.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
hayesfamof4
Mouseketeer
 
hayesfamof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I see the price difference as the cheaper port upgrade also losing the privilege of the 120-day booking window advantage. Yes, you are still put at the top of the wait list for sold out things (like a CC cabana), but if no one cancels...
Do you lose all your booking activities *like the cabana* if you upgrade at the port??
__________________
*B2B Cruises on the Disney Dream - 3 night Cruise and 4 night Cruise - November 14, 2013 and November 17, 2013
*Disney Dream-4 night Halloween Cruise-October 28, 2012
*Disney Fantasy-7 night Eastern Cruise - April 21, 2012
*Disney Dream-3 nights-May 19, 2011
hayesfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
So, we were going to attempt to upgrade to concierge on our April 27th cruise. There were 4 rooms left... now it's down to 1. It's a 5 night and would cost $3,000 more to upgrade. We upgraded last October on the 4 night for concierge and had a huge 1 bedroom suite. It was amazing. We paid $700 to upgrade. I am debating the upgrade now since it doesn't look like we will get a room at the port. For those who do concierge - do you do it full price or only if you can get an upgrade at the port? We are in a 4A room right now. How do you go back to that after a 1 bedroom suite?
That's an amazing price to upgrade to concierge. Last time we upgraded from an inside 11B to a verandah cat 4 we paid $500. Overpriced, and only about a 25% discount from what I'd been tracking but we did it anyway.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
Do you lose all your booking activities *like the cabana* if you upgrade at the port??
No, why would you?
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
tweis
DIS Veteran
 
tweis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 2,785

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
Do you lose all your booking activities *like the cabana* if you upgrade at the port??
I think what the PP was saying is that you may save money by upgrading to concierge at the port but you do not get the perks that you would have gotten had you paid full price. If you book concierge to begin with you get the benefit of booking excursions/cabanas/dining at 120 days out if you upgrade at the port you didn't get that benefit. You do not lose anything that you already booked you just didn't get all the perks of paying full price for concierge.
__________________
4 NIGHT MAGIC 2014 The Magic is better than the Dream.....I'll be the judge of that!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3272639

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
hayesfamof4
Mouseketeer
 
hayesfamof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I think what the PP was saying is that you may save money by upgrading to concierge at the port but you do not get the perks that you would have gotten had you paid full price. If you book concierge to begin with you get the benefit of booking excursions/cabanas/dining at 120 days out if you upgrade at the port you didn't get that benefit. You do not lose anything that you already booked you just didn't get all the perks of paying full price for concierge.
Got it! Thank you!
__________________
*B2B Cruises on the Disney Dream - 3 night Cruise and 4 night Cruise - November 14, 2013 and November 17, 2013
*Disney Dream-4 night Halloween Cruise-October 28, 2012
*Disney Fantasy-7 night Eastern Cruise - April 21, 2012
*Disney Dream-3 nights-May 19, 2011
hayesfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.