Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
jerseybean
Earning My Ears

Just finished a back to back on the fantasy and have no idea. Never occurred to me to go and visit the gym
jerseybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
VincentNC313
Earning My Ears

On 4 of the 7 days I visited the fitness room (normally getting there @ approx. 7:20am during the week of November 3rd), there was not a single instance where at least two treadmills weren't available.

On one port day, I visited a bit before leaving port and I was the sole individual on a treadmill.

Vincent
VincentNC313 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

i thought the fitness center on the other ships were slightly bigger and better- ditto for the lifting machines..

depending on how much of a diehard lifter you are the free weights (dumbells only) are very limited...

i was in the gym/fitness center almost everyday after my afternoon run, about 4:30ish....it was never more than 1/4 full...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
Dream and Fantasy are .4

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
less than that....its 3 1/2 laps for a mile on deck four of the Fantasy....
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Tell me about the Fitness Center on the Fantasy...
What if I don't want to?
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #21
DCLfamily
Earning My Ears

Is anybody able to provide any further info on the fitness center? How late does it stay open? I can do my workouts at any time of day. I really wouldn't worry about it on a four day cruise but I am for the seven day one
DCLfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #22
dharma517
Mouseketeer

Mornings are packed!

I was on the Fantasy in early December. I am normally in the gym by 5:15am so I was a bit annoyed that it did not open until 6:30am. There was usually a line up at 6:15am of about 10 people or so patiently waiting.

By about 7am I would say most of the cardio was taken and there was also a stretch class going on which took up almost all of the free space in the rest of the gym. That made the free weight area very limited...ie don't swing any weights or you might hit about 3 people..lol.

The gym on the fantasy is tiny...very tiny but the equipment is good. I was pleased to see so many people actually taking care of themselves in the gym!
dharma517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
DCLfamily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma517 View Post
I was on the Fantasy in early December. I am normally in the gym by 5:15am so I was a bit annoyed that it did not open until 6:30am. There was usually a line up at 6:15am of about 10 people or so patiently waiting.

By about 7am I would say most of the cardio was taken and there was also a stretch class going on which took up almost all of the free space in the rest of the gym. That made the free weight area very limited...ie don't swing any weights or you might hit about 3 people..lol.

The gym on the fantasy is tiny...very tiny but the equipment is good. I was pleased to see so many people actually taking care of themselves in the gym!
What do they have there for free weights?
DCLfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
less than that....its 3 1/2 laps for a mile on deck four of the Fantasy....
Granted I haven't been on the Fantasy yet, but on the Magic it's 3 laps for a mile. And I've logged several miles there. (Take it from me, 30 laps around the ship to get in a 10 mile run is kinda monotonous.) From what I've seen on other sites, it's 2.5 laps = 1 mile on the Fantasy and Dream. I'll find out for sure in November, as I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit since our cruise this year falls in the heart of my training for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLfamily View Post
From my recollection, the Magic just had a small rack of dumbbells....can't recall the weight range. No plates or bars.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
ps17
DIS Veteran

OK, We just got off Christmas sailing of Fantasy. We are workoutaholics so here is the report. We went everyday, usually around 7:00AMish. On embarkation day we went at 2:00 (while waiting for luggage to show up and before lifeboat drill). There were times went I (DH) went a second time during the day because I didn't want to go to bingo, a show, or, whatever with rest of family and there was nothing better to do. Never, while we showed up or left was there not an excercise machine (treadmill, elliptical) open. Some mornings 80-90% of machines were in use but there never was a signup for machines nor were there ever people hovering/waiting for the next open machine.

There is a single rack of dumbells. Up to 55/65 lbs or something like that. We like to do a lot a lifting and there was rarely contention for the weights we wanted - we have had more contention on the magic but my guess is that some cruises have more "free weighters" than others.

For those that like floorwork, matts, yoga, type of stuff, it is much roomier than the magic - when there is not a class going on. They do have cycling classes but those are in the afternoon and DW prefers classes of that type in the morning.

If you like to use machines, they have a lot of brand new equipment - however, whoever selected the machines did not do the best of selecting: Chest press machine - fine. Back pulldown machine: attrocious - why not have a simple lat pulldown machine, or straight rowing type - instead it is some contraption pulldown of bad variety and angle. Similarly, for legs: no standard leg -press machine. Leg extension, curls machines are, well, ho-hum for those who like heavy pressing work. Also they have BOTH leg adduction/abduction machines - the kind you squeeze legs together or out - again, for the serious lifter, sort of a waste of space, especially when there is no press. There is no such thing as a good shoulder machine so no harm there. Part of this report is opinionated from a "lifting purist and ones that prefer free weights" so take it with for what it is worth. In did seem like for just 4 or 6 old heavily used machines, the Magic did a good job of selecting good ones while on the Fantasy, there were a whole bunch of brand new shiny machines of questionable value (like say the adductors).

Back to the freeweights - I think the Magic may have gone up to 85 lbs which is a little more servicieable but what they have here (55/65) will work. We just used the dumbells and went high-rep where needed. No plates nor bars on the Magic nor the Fantasy. There is one of those suspended abdominal leg raise contraptions that you and flip around and use the handles for dips.

They have plenty of bikes including the electronic machines as well as the the ones they use for fitness class that you can adjust tension. Music in that area is much better for classes and workouts (built in overhead speakers instead of dinky boombox on magic).

All in all, if you got by with Magic, this will be fine - only big neg was as mentioned, cycling classes in afternoon instead of AM....

Oh yeah - one more thing, in the afternoons, there was not much people there - after 6:00PM - virtually deserted...

Last edited by ps17; 02-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Thank you so much Ps17 for that detailed report, it's the kind of thing that DH is very interested in and for you to take the time to list such specifics is very helpful. Thanks

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
Granted I haven't been on the Fantasy yet, but on the Magic it's 3 laps for a mile. And I've logged several miles there. (Take it from me, 30 laps around the ship to get in a 10 mile run is kinda monotonous.) From what I've seen on other sites, it's 2.5 laps = 1 mile on the Fantasy and Dream. I'll find out for sure in November, as I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit since our cruise this year falls in the heart of my training for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon.
well, i was on the Fantasy in August and ran every day... if its 2.5 laps per mile (which would mean each lap is about 700 yards- thats a ridiculous amount) then i really logged a lot of miles....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLfamily View Post
just dumbells and very limited...i've never seen free weights on a Disney Cruise and doubt i ever will...

the lifting machines are adequate though....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

For those of you who have run on deck 4, is it a complete loop? Is it enjoyable? Would it be crowded early -- 6 or 7am?

When I was on the dream, I stayed in the fitness center (except for the CC5k), but would love to run outdoors if possible. IDK how I missed the option for deck 4....I won't this time around on the Fantasy, that's for sure!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: