Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Anyone done the GC Turtle Farm on your own?

Did you just book it online? Do they set up transportation, or do you have to get that yourselves? We usually only do cruise line excursions but there isn't one just for the turtle farm only. We have no idea how to go about setting this up.

Thanks1
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd
Did you just book it online? Do they set up transportation, or do you have to get that yourselves? We usually only do cruise line excursions but there isn't one just for the turtle farm only. We have no idea how to go about setting this up.

Thanks1
We booked the Turtle Farm through the website turtle.ky (Boatswain) and received 20% off of the total price. After you have purchased through the website, your wristband will be at the Will Call counter at the farm. Email them and let them know you will be needing transportation to the park and they will give you the bus information. You will ride over on the same bus as the DCL excursion people and you will need to ride back on the returning bus or you can take a taxi back to the port. We really enjoyed our visit - DD snorkeled in the lagoon and we ate lunch in the restaurant!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Thank you very much for the info!! My DS7 has been learning about our ports of call for our current homeschool unit and is very excited to visit the turtle farm!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Be sure to check out all of the exhibits when there! There is a "nursery" where you can see turtle hatchlings making their way up through the sand. Another family said that they once were able to hold the newborns but no newborns were available during our visit .
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

Just beware by farm they mean farm, they slaughter the turtles there. We whet when I was 9 I'm still scarred, I'm 16 now
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalsh
Just beware by farm they mean farm, they slaughter the turtles there. We whet when I was 9 I'm still scarred, I'm 16 now
Wow... I was about to pick an excursion to this place on a different cruise... http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57968-wor...-investigation
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Schrute Farms
Mouseketeer

How much time is needed to do the farm?

I was considering the Turtle Farm/Hell combo, but it only is at the turtle farm for 20-30 minutes.
Schrute Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Drew Sailbum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalsh View Post
True, it is a farm and turtles are raised for their meat. Turtle is the national dish and turtle meat was a very important source of protein for early settlers and sailors.

An article by Mike Jernigan published in Cayman Airways' in-flight magazine provides a little historical overview.

Not surprisingly, the meat processing part of the operation is not a part of the publicly accessible tour.
Drew Sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: