Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #466
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsides
It was 60 degrees here yesterday and today it is 26 and snowing. How is this even possible?! Anybody want to send me some sunshine and warmth? Please, please?
It was 85 yesterday and 60 today.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #467
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
For the folks who have stayed at Port Orleans ... how is the park transport situation comapared to POP?

I'm starting to think about Food/Wine trip plans for 2013. If I head down towards the 2nd half of Oct my parents will probably be at Ft Wilderness so I'd just crash with them. If I decide to go earlier, I'd be looking at staying onsite solo. Really my options would probably be POP or a moderate. The bus situation didn't seem too bad for POP, but it seemed like there weren't too many busses moving around Port Orleans ...
I am a big fan of POR. I think the buses run great there although most times I drive to the parks. You definitely have less screaming children and there are multiple stops. The resort is much quieter than a POP. I really think you will like it

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #468
DMass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsides View Post
It was 60 degrees here yesterday and today it is 26 and snowing. How is this even possible?! Anybody want to send me some sunshine and warmth? Please, please?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #469
DefLepard
<3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
For the folks who have stayed at Port Orleans ... how is the park transport situation comapared to POP?

I'm starting to think about Food/Wine trip plans for 2013. If I head down towards the 2nd half of Oct my parents will probably be at Ft Wilderness so I'd just crash with them. If I decide to go earlier, I'd be looking at staying onsite solo. Really my options would probably be POP or a moderate. The bus situation didn't seem too bad for POP, but it seemed like there weren't too many buses moving around Port Orleans ...
IMO-Port Orleans Riverside is by far the better of the two, if you stay at French Quarter and get stuck in building 4 facing the parking lot you will hear the delivery trucks backing up 'beep beep beep' at 5am

Riverside has a really nice atmosphere along with my favorite -> River Roost Lounge for the possible nightcap after the F&W Festival or any other activities ( lounge is open til 12pm )

Back to your original ?
The buses share French Quarter & Riverside, on the really quick ride back from Epcot it will stop at FQ 1st then onto the main lobby stop 'south depot' at Riverside, then the west, north, and east stops at Riverside

We have stayed there many times for F&W and found no problems with getting on the bus in the morning/afternoon at any depot, I have noticed over the years most people like to board the bus at the Riverside South depot/main, because you walk right out of the general store

Best other resort feature is the water taxi to DTD, only thing, don't miss the last boat back (I think it's 11:30pm)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #470
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMass View Post
woo! You're my new favorite.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #471
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post

I'm starting to think about Food/Wine trip plans for 2013. If I head down towards the 2nd half of Oct my parents will probably be at Ft Wilderness so I'd just crash with them. If I decide to go earlier, I'd be looking at staying onsite solo. Really my options would probably be POP or a moderate. The bus situation didn't seem too bad for POP, but it seemed like there weren't too many busses moving around Port Orleans ...
I have had nothing but bad luck with Pop transport. POR and POFQ have been awesome. If at POR, I find staying closer to the main building better for transport. If the bus fills up at the main hub it might not stop at all the bus hubs. POFQ is so small they have one bus stop. . .It works awesomely. ALL the busses that stop at POR stop at POFQ. At Pop I have waited for more than an hour for a bus. . .sux. . .
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #472
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Never stayed at PoR, but have stayed at POP. Never waited more than 15 mins for a bus anywhere. In fact, most time were less than 5 mins. Only one that was 15mins was to DTD mid afternoon. I stayed there last year during the second week of Oct.

Also, if I wake up tomorrow and my tax return is in my account (which according to the IRS it should be), it's gonna be VERY hard for me to not make a weekend trip down to Disney. Lol
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #473
TekMickey
Buying out Disney one shopping trip at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLepard View Post
Riverside has a really nice atmosphere along with my favorite -> River Roost Lounge for the possible nightcap after the F&W Festival or any other activities ( lounge is open til 12pm )

Back to your original ?
The buses share French Quarter & Riverside, on the really quick ride back from Epcot it will stop at FQ 1st then onto the main lobby stop 'south depot' at Riverside, then the west, north, and east stops at Riverside

We have stayed there many times for F&W and found no problems with getting on the bus in the morning/afternoon at any depot, I have noticed over the years most people like to board the bus at the Riverside South depot/main, because you walk right out of the general store

Best other resort feature is the water taxi to DTD, only thing, don't miss the last boat back (I think it's 11:30pm)
I agree. That was the nice bonus to the whole Guest services area, was the Lounge.

We stayed in the 9800s which was East. We had the pool all to ourselves a couple times in the evenings.
I really hated the transportation at POP during the first week of June. I dont know if it was because it was still value season and the number of buses was reduced, but it was Star Wars weekends and they tell you a bus comes every 10 minutes. (NOT) We stood there in the heat for easily 30 minutes on several occasions.

Now at POR we only used the bus once, because we had a Resi at Whispering Canyon Cafe over at the W.Lodge, so we bused to MK during the day and bused to WCC for dinner then went to DTD for some shopping and site seeing.
Other than that I always rent a car, so I can sit in my seat and its always quite if we want it to be.

The one additional point I want to bring up is that POP is out by Animal Kingdom where POR is up by Epcot so your bus ride is way shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypryncess View Post
I cannot WAIT to try those rooms! They sound awesome!!
I took a video or two. I'll have to get them loaded to YouTube or Google and drop the link. It was truly awesome.

Joe(43) Ariel(14) Ella
DisDads member #593
TekMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #474
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Thanks all for the Port Orleans info!

I'm think I'm really liking the idea of POR. If I heading down during F&W, Epcot's usally where I spend most of my time, as we as the Boardwalk area. Being closer to Epcot is big plus. I also like the idea of transport to DTD as Raglan and the Hole in the Wall is favorite haunt of mine.

I've still got plenty of time to decide, but this helps me narrow down my choices ...

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #475
disneypryncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekMickey View Post
I took a video or two. I'll have to get them loaded to YouTube or Google and drop the link. It was truly awesome.
That would be great. I'd love to see!!!
2008-Poly & DCL Wonder & Uni Hard Rock, Royal Pac
2007-DCL Magic, 2006-AKL & Pop
2005-WL, 2004-Cont, 2003-CS & ASMu
2002-BC, 2001-POR, Uni Portofino Bay & Hard Rock
2000-Poly, 1999-POFQ
1998-Disney Institute, 1997-ASSp, 1996-CBR
disneypryncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #476
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

I've been really wanting to try POR and you guys aren't helping I stayed there during a family trip back when it was Dixie Landings, but I was 11 so I don't remember much. Now, I just need to find someone that wants to fund my trip down there
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #477
KristaBelle
Mouseketeer

New Here

I just wanted to introduce myself, I've been on the disboards for a while, but just found this thread. It is 28 degrees here today and I find myself Disney-dreaming. Actually more like Disney withdrawal! My last trip was July 2010.

My name is Krista, I'm an ER nurse, from Southeastern PA, 37, with one DD10.
KristaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #478
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaBelle View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself, I've been on the disboards for a while, but just found this thread. It is 28 degrees here today and I find myself Disney-dreaming. Actually more like Disney withdrawal! My last trip was July 2010.

welcome, you will find this is a great spot with a lot of good fun people.

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #479
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaBelle View Post

Welcome! Seems to be a lot of nurses around here! I'm in nursing school, so I'm not a nurse yet but getting there.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #480
megan_in_pink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsides
Totally understand. In the span of five days we went from bone chilling cold ( like water lines be brine cold) to rain fall warning to high wind warning then back to freezing cold....I want to move to FLA after this week.
megan_in_pink is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: