Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Solo Daddy/Daughter trip

Hi all,

I know I am not going totally solo but I am going as the solo adult.

My soon to be 6yr old daughter and I are going to be going on our first daddy/daughter trip to the world in May. Her mother does not like Disney so I gave up with her and decided to take my little girl (who loves Disney as much as I do) solo.

At first my biggest worry was bathroom breaks but i think i now have that covered as we will use the companion bathrooms. But I was looking for advice from those that may have gone as the solo adult with young chlidren before.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

My DD is 18 now, but she and I did mom/daughter trips for years because DH is not a Disney guy (although he is going with me in March).

Ask other people to take your photo -- or have the CMs take photos. I have a million photos of my DD and about 4 of the both of us at WDW.

At your daughter's age, the smartest thing I did was make sure to have her lined up for an event where I could drop her off for an hour or so and we would each get some time away from the other. That sounds horrible, but it's not. She did the cooking class and the Alice in Wonderland tea, both at GF, on two different trips. She also did a pirate cruise. I'm not sure what all is currently offered by WDW, but she had a blast doing those special things and I had a nice time sitting by the GF pool, sipping on an adult beverage, and making calls to my office.

The other thing my DD always liked to do was the character meals. We did Cinderella's, the Norway Princess meal, Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, etc. Find out who her favorite characters are and make a reservation or two or three.

Plan to spend time at your resort pool. Bring goggles for both of you and be ready to swim a lot and play games.

Finally, don't push too hard to try to do everything. When DD is tired, it's time to take a rest. You WILL be back. Enjoy it all.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
OutNChiTown
Earning My Ears

I will tell you that the best trip I ever did was myself and my mother... Admittedly, I'm 34 and she was almost sixty when we went, but, it was still the best Disney trip I've ever taken.

I would recommend the Disney Tomorrowland Fireworks & Dessert Party. It's not the best seat in the house, but it's cool to experience. You get to eat all the dessert you want and watch the fireworks. Lots of fun.
OutNChiTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
set1208
Mouseketeer

I second the idea of a GF adventure for her to do on her own. I took my DD when she was 4 and the tea party was a blast and I also loved sitting by the pool. They have cushions on their lounge chairs!!

You'll have a blast and she will feel so special having time alone with dad in such a magical place.
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
TekMickey
Buying out Disney one shopping trip at a time.

DD12 and I have been 3 times in past year and a half. Your biggest concern is not that big of a deal. She goes to the bathroom now by herself, so she will be fine. There is only one way out of those bathrooms and your biggest issue will be how long she takes to wash her hands. It felt like forever waiting outside of the bathrooms.

We have had a total blast as most rides are setup for 2 people.
I also second the Akershus Princess lunch or dinner in Norway.
Another favorite is Crystal Palace for breakfast with Pooh and friends.
Tusker house comes in at a close second to that.

Don't forget the autograph book. That is big for photo opportunity.
Relax and have a great time.

Don't know if you can swing it but the Royal Guestrooms at Port Orleanse Riverside are our favorite. Can't beat the fireworks headboard, magic carpet on the floor and Aladdins lamp as faucets.

Joe(43) Ariel(14) Ella
DisDads member #593
TekMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Finally, don't push too hard to try to do everything. When DD is tired, it's time to take a rest. You WILL be back. Enjoy it all.
Very good point ,thanks. That is kind of my plan, go at her pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutNChiTown
I would recommend the Disney Tomorrowland Fireworks & Dessert Party.
We actually did this on our last trip it was awsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by set1208
I took my DD when she was 4 and the tea party was a blast
That is a good thought, thanks. My daughter would probably love the whole tea party thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekMickey
Don't know if you can swing it but the Royal Guestrooms at Port Orleanse Riverside are our favorite. Can't beat the fireworks headboard, magic carpet on the floor and Aladdins lamp as faucets.

That is awsome to hear. I actually have us booked in one of those rooms. It is really nice to hear a good review on them.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: