Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #676
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I've heard that a lot of kids are scared in that restaurant because of the loudness. My kids were older than Parker when we took them to Rainforest Cafe, but I remember Markie didn't like it at all and sat in my lap the entire time and wouldn't eat his food. It happens to the best of us. And with us wanting our kids to have a great experience and it doesn't go that way, we tend to get a little upset when it doesn't go that way. But in the long run, you guys did great with getting the food to go.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #677
MEK
DIS Veteran

Poor Parker. It's so hard to know how a child is going to react to scary situations. My oldest son scared very easily and I have a much better parent of the year story than yours. It's so bad I don't think I can even tell it.

I don't blame you for being frustrated because you thought it was going to be so great for him. And in a couple years it will be.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #678
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Oh how awfule for Parker and you both!!!Have never been in there so no idea how loud it is !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #679
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Aw poor Parker scared of the dinos!!!

I think you guys are great parents! You seem like you are doing a great job!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #680
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Aw, poor Parker and poor Dan and Candi! It happens to ALL of us. Well, most normal people anyway. I had a co worker telling me she's never been mad at her son. And well, I'm not sure that's a good thing for either of them.

But I digress. You rebounded, made amends and moved on and most importantly, didn't let hurts and disappointments fester. That's huge in my book.
And you didn't penalize him by not letting him build a Dino which I think a number of folks may have done. It is so hard when we build up something in our mind that our kids are going to go nuts over...and it just doesn't play that way. We take it harder than they do I think!

I LOVE Parkers poncho and rain hat. Classic!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #681
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

My 7 year old doesnt like rainforrest cafe either,but that might be because she's terrified of gorillas or monkeys or anything like that really

Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #682
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
he would def. hit her now, he has grown alot since then, i looked at him the other day and said hey wait a minute your head is well above the kitchen counter tops when did that happen...i remember when he barely was able to see what was on the counter last year...
That is so funny that you say that because one of our favorite family stories is a time back when Lauren was about 4 or 5 and she said something to me from the other side of a kitchen counter and I turned, looked at her and said, "Lauren, come down from there!" I really thought that she was standing on a stool or something, but she wasn't standing on anything!

Aw, that's a shame that dinosaur-theme in the restaurant was a little too much for Parker. And I'm sure you were frustrated that the meal didn't turn out quite the way you had pictured it, but kudos to you for apologizing to Parker for your reaction. That is worthy of consideration for parent-of-the-year. (You won't win it, 'cause I've got it all sewn-up, but it's worthy of consideration )
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #683
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

sorry for the brief replys back have a short amount of time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Whew!! Finally made it through all your updates!!

Looks like the trip is turning out to be a really great trip. So many people decide not to go with a little toddler in tow, I'm glad to see you didn't wait, I don't think I'd be able to wait either. My DS20 use to do the same thing as Noelle when he got tired, well into his grade school years even!
No joke! The first time he went to sleep regardless of his surroundings it was a Monster Truck Rally show. Yes, I actually went to one, and no I'm not a red-neck, far from it honestly.
Tyler-my boy saw a commercial for the show and any excuse for my husband to be around loud souped up cars he was all over it.
It came 9 o'clock and Ty turned himself around in dad's lap (when he was about 5 years old), laid his head against daddy's chest and went to sleep.
AT A MONSTER TRUCK RALLY!! We of course put ear plugs in his ears when we got there, but still!! I would have never been able to do that.

The second time was in Calif. when he was about 8, we were there for his Aunt's law school graduation. We were in a room full of very loud mouthed family members (half of them Italian-need I say more ) from both sides going, he found an empty table pushed a couple of chairs up to the baquet table and went to sleep.

We had a mini panic attack at first when we couldn't find him, but then we realized the time and the time difference for us and knew he was asleep somewhere, we eventually found him.

The kids interaction with the characters is so awesome, especially the looks Noelle gives to them. I know it's not very Disney of me to say this, but I swore in the first couple of pictures of Sleeping Beauty I thought it was a man. No joke! Go back and look at them with that in mind and then tell me what you think. As you go further through the pics you realize it's not, but seriously go look.

You ninja posted on me!! Now i'm not caught up any more!
thanks glad you see it our way, sure we could wait till they get bigger, but the little kid innocent at this age is priceless and seeing there reactions both good and bad to things are something we would never change.

those stories you shared are pretty funny.

yep im a secret ninja with my posting for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Poor Parker That restaurant is REALLY loud. We got sat by baby dinosaurs and by the end of the meal I couldn't wait to get out of there because the thing wouldn't shut up. Maybe he'll enjoy more in a year or two.
i hope so, but then noelle might not like it, we will just have to judge it and try it again. you are right that so much going on can get over the top.

and it is loud...wonder if other rooms would have been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Poor little guy. I can't imagine how impressive those dino's were to him. Everything is literal in their little worlds at that age, something we parents easily forget, I know I have.
And no beating yourself up over it, it happens.

All of parents win the parent of the year award from time to time, and I hate to break it to you.....but it will probably happen again from time to time over the years.
It's all apart of parenting kiddos, we are sometimes sleep deprived, hungry, or they are or we all are at the same time and the key is to not allow yourself into the situations if possible.
This one creeped up on y'all, you did what needed to be done to rectify it. The best a parent can do is to show your kiddos you aren't perfect, apologize, ask forgiveness when we mess up. Then we get the privilege of raising kids who know that life isn't always fair, but it's still a good place, with people who are flawed and who can own their own stuff when they let us down, or we let them down, even the one's we love the most. In turn, they grow up and do the same for their kids, and hopefully for their co-workers, church members, and so on.
To me, that really does earn you Parent of the Year. Good job, Daddy Dan and Mama Candi.
thanks for the kind words,
it does stink when you build it up in your mind but then you forget that they are little and are not grown up yet and you should not grow them up before they are ready and not get upset when they get scared of stuff.

thanks for still awarding me hte award.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Aw. Poor Parker and poor Parents

We have all been there and had our moments

No worries.

Maybe try it again in couple years when he is older
thanks we plan on it, but maybe when both kids are a little older and will aprreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
When April was Parkers age I took her to the Rainforest Cafe in Massachusetrs and we sat right in front of these larger then life gorillas that would howl and beat their chest like every five minutes. Let me tell you she was freaked! She's eight now and I took her to T-Rex on our last trip and she loved it! I bet Parker will too in a few years!
thanks for the tip and words of encouragement, will def. look into it again for the future.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #684
FauntleroyFAN07

sorry for short replies short on time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I've heard that a lot of kids are scared in that restaurant because of the loudness. My kids were older than Parker when we took them to Rainforest Cafe, but I remember Markie didn't like it at all and sat in my lap the entire time and wouldn't eat his food. It happens to the best of us. And with us wanting our kids to have a great experience and it doesn't go that way, we tend to get a little upset when it doesn't go that way. But in the long run, you guys did great with getting the food to go.
you hit the nail right on the head, we all mess up from time to time just have to learn from it and move on and love them more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Poor Parker. It's so hard to know how a child is going to react to scary situations. My oldest son scared very easily and I have a much better parent of the year story than yours. It's so bad I don't think I can even tell it.

I don't blame you for being frustrated because you thought it was going to be so great for him. And in a couple years it will be.
well if yo udont want it out there for everyone you can just PM it to me...or not its up to you.

thanks for the words of encouragment for the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Oh how awfule for Parker and you both!!!Have never been in there so no idea how loud it is !!!
thanks rosie, hoping for a better time there next visit whenhe is bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Aw poor Parker scared of the dinos!!!

I think you guys are great parents! You seem like you are doing a great job!
thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated...we try sometimes we fail but always try and just not repeat the same mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Aw, poor Parker and poor Dan and Candi! It happens to ALL of us. Well, most normal people anyway. I had a co worker telling me she's never been mad at her son. And well, I'm not sure that's a good thing for either of them.

But I digress. You rebounded, made amends and moved on and most importantly, didn't let hurts and disappointments fester. That's huge in my book.
And you didn't penalize him by not letting him build a Dino which I think a number of folks may have done. It is so hard when we build up something in our mind that our kids are going to go nuts over...and it just doesn't play that way. We take it harder than they do I think!

I LOVE Parkers poncho and rain hat. Classic!
we try the same thing to make up quickly doesnt always work, but just have to try. and will get to the dino story tomorrow sometime hopefully to see how that turned out.

that is a smart invention isnt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
My 7 year old doesnt like rainforrest cafe either,but that might be because she's terrified of gorillas or monkeys or anything like that really
i have never been in that one so not sure how big and scary those things would be to a kid, i can see how if they are big and animated alot they would be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
That is so funny that you say that because one of our favorite family stories is a time back when Lauren was about 4 or 5 and she said something to me from the other side of a kitchen counter and I turned, looked at her and said, "Lauren, come down from there!" I really thought that she was standing on a stool or something, but she wasn't standing on anything!

Aw, that's a shame that dinosaur-theme in the restaurant was a little too much for Parker. And I'm sure you were frustrated that the meal didn't turn out quite the way you had pictured it, but kudos to you for apologizing to Parker for your reaction. That is worthy of consideration for parent-of-the-year. (You won't win it, 'cause I've got it all sewn-up, but it's worthy of consideration )
i do double takes on the size growth as well seeing them each day you dont notice it as much as like all of sudden they seem huge.

thanks for your nomination glenn, even though you think you have me edged out.

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #685
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i hope so, but then noelle might not like it, we will just have to judge it and try it again. you are right that so much going on can get over the top.

and it is loud...wonder if other rooms would have been different.
The first time I was there I sat in the ice room. There are no dinosaurs in there other than fossils and they don't make noise! The only thing that happens is that the 'ice' changes colors every so often. Maybe you can sit in there next time?

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #686
katt789
DIS Veteran

All the AoA pictures are making me miss the resort so much, itís so awesome!!

Thanks for the themeing pictures of TL, having never been to the waterparks I like to know what they look like haha!

That looks like a pretty awesome mini trip/hike! Thatís awesome!

I love that the AoA food court has so many different options of food, stuff you donít really see otherwise, like, YUM!

Yay! TRex! Love that place! Oh no, looks like Parker didnít really enjoy it! Though I can definitely imagine it being kinda scary for smaller kids, or really scary, I know over at Rainforest Cafť I thought the effects were just a bit too loud or annoying, or too often, TRex wasnít as bad for us, but at least you guys got a food, (and hopefully a new dino!)

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #687
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
The first time I was there I sat in the ice room. There are no dinosaurs in there other than fossils and they don't make noise! The only thing that happens is that the 'ice' changes colors every so often. Maybe you can sit in there next time?
hmm, that is a good point, might have to do that next time. i really liked the look of that room when we went by it, and know that you said it isnt as loud with the dinos in there might have to try that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
All the AoA pictures are making me miss the resort so much, itís so awesome!!

Thanks for the themeing pictures of TL, having never been to the waterparks I like to know what they look like haha!

That looks like a pretty awesome mini trip/hike! Thatís awesome!

I love that the AoA food court has so many different options of food, stuff you donít really see otherwise, like, YUM!

Yay! TRex! Love that place! Oh no, looks like Parker didnít really enjoy it! Though I can definitely imagine it being kinda scary for smaller kids, or really scary, I know over at Rainforest Cafť I thought the effects were just a bit too loud or annoying, or too often, TRex wasnít as bad for us, but at least you guys got a food, (and hopefully a new dino!)
your welcome, glad you liked the TL ones, does help show it to people that have never been there before.

we also loved the AoA food court many good options, even though i loved the burrito bar at Pop when we went there one day overall i liked the AoA one best.

i have never been to rain forest just walking in the lobby once, might have to try that one sometime.

next chapter will reveal the dino happenings.

Blessed by the Best
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #688
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Wow, poor Parker!! And I know as parents, we all do things we regret. At least you were able to cool down and let him know you weren't really mad at him.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #689
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
hmm afterhours party? work thing? you would love the crush in gusher ride, that is a ton of fun.
Yup we would get teh beach at TL with a DJ and food set up near Leaning Palms.

No water time for us but the big waves were going so we could see. I am really surprised that no one "went swimming" With Pool people usually someone ends up in the pool.

Some of the cool things is we get to see the mechanics of it all. Behind the scenes for all the pool geeks.

I remember hearing about the TRex experience. Too bad Parker was so scared. I am sure at some time you can try it again, hopefully after Noelle get over that stage too.

I will tell you, you did better than I would have. YOu do get thtat nomination for Parents of the year.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #690
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Parker's improvised rain gear had me

Poor guy. I know exactly how you feel. We tried eating there a few years ago because of my daughter's love of dinosaurs, but my son was so freaked out he refused to even enter the building. We ended up at the McDonalds that used to be there.

That's such a hard position to be in as a parent. You go through all this effort to make your kids happy that you sometimes want to shout, "This is for you! Now start enjoying it!"

I'm sure he was back to loving Mommy and Daddy soon after you guys made up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: