Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #91
katmg
Mouseketeer

I realize that brussel sprouts are a divisive vegetable, but they have been really coming into the mainstream in the past few (5?) years. Check out a food blog, the food network, cooking magazine, higher end restaurant, etc and you will find them. There are ways of cooking them without make them abhorrent. Perhaps, they are trying to find a way to make this more of a fine dining experience rather than like eating at a chain restaurant that aims for the middle.

I would be willing to bet that in order to save costs, management has cut back on staff in the back of house in the restaurants. Much easier and efficient to have just a few vegetables to prep rather than a different one for each main course. I think Disney could be a bit more creative in how they prepare them so that each protein isn't getting the same sides, but they didn't ask me!
katmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #92
SA mom
DIS Veteran

First, you don't go to CRT for the food. It is just okay.

Second, yum! I don't like brussel sprouts either, but I sure can push them aside.

Third, the Major Domo was pretty good the last time we had it.

Why not give hubby a pass and you have mommy-daughter time? Give him the out.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #93
DisneyKay
Earning My Ears

All of that sounds delicious, brussel sprouts included. It does look like they tried to "class" up the selection a bit. Makes sense with the price, but when you go to CRT you're definitely paying for the experience, not the food quality, as others have said. If you're dead set on going to CRT, perhaps they'd sub things/remove things for you?
DisneyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #94
disney212
DIS Veteran

I think the new menu looks good. My issue would have been that my kids would have wanted to eat off the adult menu (they are now adults) when they were younger.
disney212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #95
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
I absolutely hate brussel sprouts and mushrooms. They are 2 of my most despised food items. To the PP that said something like would you rather have overcooked mushy green beans or carrots- my answer would always be absolutely yes. My DH loves brussel sprouts, and when he cooks them I've been known to leave the house, because the stench of them cooking turns my stomach. I'm not worried about the brussel spouts (unless the whole place smells like them, as I have no doubt that WDW will leave them off the plate upon request). I have more issues with places that have mushrooms in a good portion of the items on their menu, because in my experience very often the mushrooms can not be left off because portions of the dish or sauce have been prepared in advance and the mushrooms are already there. I have had issues with that in multiple places when something that sounds really good is ruined by the inclusion of those yucky things.
I agree with most this.

I cannot stand brussel sprouts or mushrooms neither can my husband. I just read the new menu to my husband and he told me to cancel our reservation. For the price we are paying, we need to at least be able to eat our food even if its not amazing. You think with the amount of money that it costs for CRT, Disney could vary the sides. But in the end Disney is out to make money and knows that someone will pick up any cancelled reservation.

So I guess I need to find a new dining reservation for our first night 3 months out. Ugh.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #96
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

DH and I went to CRT on our last trip and probably won't do it the next time we go, but I think it's great that these healthy items are being offered. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to eat exactly what I always cook at home. DH was brought up to eat few vegetables. I've had to retrain his palate. After over 30 years I'm still working on it. He's convinced that some vegetables are nasty because of the way his mother offered them, so on vacation may be the only time I eat these. I like to try new things prepared by someone else. This is definitely a big step in the right direction for Disney.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #97
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
On the Disney website, it's still showing that beef tenderloin w/ roasted fingerling potatoes is an option for dinner on the adult dinner menu. Is that incorrect ??
I was wondering the same thing. We loved the beef tenderloin last time we went. When I check the Disney website it still shows it as a choice. Has anyone been there recently to let us know if it is still offered?
October 1994 Port Orleans / October 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / October 1999 Off site / October 2004 Contemporary Resort / October 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / August 2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ October 2008 Old Key West / February 2009 Polynesian Resort / August 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / August 2010 Bay Lake Tower / February 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / August 2011 Boardwalk Villas / August 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2013 Coronado Springs / August 2013 Boardwalk Villas / February 2014 Coronado Springs
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #98
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Brussel sprouts can be disgusting or delicious depending on how they are prepared. I love them when they are well prepared. I'm sure you can sub a different side. We have never ever had a problem subbing a different side at WDW ever. We do say to the server that we are happy to pay an upcharge to get what we want if necessary. Maybe not everyone feels that way. People can get SAD and MAD over things like brussel sprouts and gnocchi? How are the actual big hiccups in a vacation going to affect you?

We went to CRT two years ago on DH's birthday. We had a great window seat for two. This was shortly after the menu changed. We found the food barely edible. It was terrible. It was all pre-plated crap. The cheese plate was miniscule and the best thing we ate all night! They had taken away the chocolate buckle dessert which I remember I wanted to try so badly, shortly before our trip. I got over it lol, but the new desserts were mediocre. Anyway, I'm happy to see a new menu because it means we can try dinner here again! We found the entrees at Akershus to also be mediocre, and wouldn't return there. But a new menu at CRT we will try!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #99
Sencybil
What next?

Not sure if its because, being in the UK, I still get the old website, but I'm seeing the menu say;

BRAISED-PORK SHANK
Slow-cooked with Root Vegetables
served with a Viognier Demi-Glace

- so not the same accompaniments as the grouper. Brussels sprouts aren't taking over completely, just featuring in one dish!

Sencybil x
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #100
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

The website is FULL of incorrect information. I wouldn't trust anything you see on there.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #101
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Is this menu accurate? I find it surprising that two entrées would have identical side dishes. Usually the goal at high-end restaurants is to offer a small menu of great selections that are all completely unique.

I love Brussels sprouts and gnocchi, but I do dislike a lot of the ingredients listed on this menu. Nevertheless, I would happily order any of the items on the menu in the original post and enjoy them. I don't let my pickiness cripple me, and I'm always willing to try a food I think I dislike. The right chef and right preparation can make anything taste good!

Have an open mind, try new things before dismissing them outright. If nothing else, you'll be a good example to your daughter.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #102
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
Is this menu accurate? I find it surprising that two entrées would have identical side dishes. Usually the goal at high-end restaurants is to offer a small menu of great selections that are all completely unique.

I love Brussels sprouts and gnocchi, but I do dislike a lot of the ingredients listed on this menu. Nevertheless, I would happily order any of the items on the menu in the original post and enjoy them. I don't let my pickiness cripple me, and I'm always willing to try a food I think I dislike. The right chef and right preparation can make anything taste good!

Have an open mind, try new things before dismissing them outright. If nothing else, you'll be a good example to your daughter.
I don't think anyone has actually eaten there to confirm yet.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #103
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWacky View Post
This. Disney seems to think it has to be all or nothing. This would also be my argument for the children's menu at BOG. Yes, people were looking for something other than chicken fingers and mac and cheese for the kids. Fair point, but why not offer both types of food? Some kids like grilled fish or steak and some just want the chicken fingers. Offering one more dish on any of the Disney menus certainly wouldn't be a terrible thing. They're awfully limited compared to many restaurants in the "real" world. Just sayin'.
THIS!! Reason why I booked late ADR for dinner at BOG. Figured we could do dessert b/c the menu looked like nothing I would like or the kids either...poor things take after me in the food department. I am the worlds pickiest eater...plain is my middle name when it comes to food. I know that is my issue and don't complain about not liking sushi at a sushi restaurant. I just wouldn't go, but I think that Disney dinning is an experience that people want based on the place for some and the food for others so offering a little more for the person who likes a culinary delight and also having some staples is what a place like Disney should do. To me though CRT, BOG etc...are going to have a lot who want to dine there because of the experience and should especially accommodate both palates IMO
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #104
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

While I like and cook brussel sprouts regularly, and would like the gnocchi, chicken or short ribs on the menu, a few choosier family members would not, crossing CRT off our list. I think it's always a good idea to have a "safe" choice on the menu, they know all customers won't be open to those options.

It's a very short menu, honestly that's not that much to choose from. They should have another couple choices.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #105
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Honestly, I am HAPPY to see menus starting to offer foods that are not plain or "normal". I think that a person can look at a menu and decide to eat there... but the menu should not have to cater to a specific type of eater. I don't think all restaurants need to have a "safe" choice.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: