Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

galveston transfers from IAH (Bush airport, not hobby)

We live about an hour & a half from galveston but only about 15 minutes from the airport. I'm debating if we should drive or if we should take an airport transfer. Can anyone tell me their experience with transfers from this airport? Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
luv that cruise

bump for the night crowd. thanks
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
luv that cruise

Now I'm bumping for the morning crowds. Has anyone done transfers from IAH to galveston and back again? Tell me how it worked. wait times, luggage, where you were dropped off at the port and where you were picked up. We will be second seating breakfast on the last morning - will we need to skip it and disembark earlier? thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

We flew in to IAH the night before our cruise. We used DCL transfers round trip.

The night we flew in we went down to baggage claim and there was a DCL person with a sign with our name on it. We checked in with them and then they assigned a driver for us. We were staying at Hotel Galvez the night before our cruise. Once we had our luggage they immediately showed us to the driver.

The day of the cruise, there were DCL people in the lobby of Hotel Galvez. We were assigned a bus time and then took a shuttle bus to the port.

When the cruise was over, again, we were staying at Hotel Galvez for 1 night. Shuttle buses are outside the port and run about every 20 minutes to the hotels.

The last night we were on the cruise we received a letter stating that a driver would be at the hotel at 3:00 p.m. to pick us up. I believe we had a 6:30 p.m. flight.

Hope that helps!
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
luv that cruise

Thank you for responding. We are leaving Tuesday and I was really debating myself on driving, taking a limo ($$) or doing the transfers to/from the airport. Every time I called disney I got a different story. First they said I had to be at baggage claim in Terminal A at 9:30, the second time they said 10:30 and now they are telling me I can arrive anytime between 10:00 am-1:30pm. The inconsistency made me a bit nervous. I've done the transfers in Florida many times and I have to assume that after several months sailing out of galveston they have got the kinks worked out. We are going to give it a shot planning to arrive about 10:30 giving us enough time to make a plan if we run into problems. They know we are locals and not flying in. They assured us that all would go smoothly and at this point my worry level is low. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
samily
DIS Veteran

Just curious what the benefit is of doing it this way? Is it a bad drive? We are coming in to IAH, staying overnight, and driving to the port. Should I be worried about the drive?
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
luv that cruise

Not a bad drive, really pretty easy but from the north side of houston it can be 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on traffic. The drop off and pick areas are congested and always a little stressful dropping off the party with the luggage and then they have to wait for you while you park so you can all check in together. I'm not sure but I've heard you need to pre-purchase parking and I hear that Port of Galveston lots are the best option (some people have other opinions of course). There are some independent areas also offering parking but several of them ask you to leave your keys.

We are locals. We live within 15 minutes of the airport and thinking that i'd much rather be dropped at the airport & catch a shuttle than to hassle with the port issues.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
samily
DIS Veteran

Ok, we will leave plenty of time then for the traffic.

Enjoy your cruise! We will be there in 12 days!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: