Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #91
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I had requested a quote from VS for our stay there in 2014. They are now telling us that the fee will be $12 a day and collected at check in. I know some were asking a few posts back specifically about what VS is doing.
Here is a copy of what they sent me:

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to quote on your vacation. At this time we show availability and are happy to offer you a total price of $1,044.00 which includes all taxes and fees with the exception of a $12 per day resort fee collected at the resort effective Feb 1st of 2013. This is a savings of 30 to 50% from Wyndham's Extra Holidays, Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity prices. We believe our prices to be the lowest available. However, if you find a better advertised offer we will match it with our Best Price Guarantee.

It also says Feb 1st where the Wyndham email is reporting Feb 15th.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #92
big303842
FiVe YeAr OlD aT HeArT

so now it is a "resort" fee. will they stop charging $25 rental fee for pool towels then?
i barely use anything more than the pools and now this fee. Well i guess ill get my moneys worth now.
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #93
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by big303842
so now it is a "resort" fee. will they stop charging $25 rental fee for pool towels then?
i barely use anything more than the pools and now this fee. Well i guess ill get my moneys worth now.
Sorry to go off course, but they charge a rental fee for pool towels? How does that work?

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #94
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big303842 View Post
When did they start charging for pool towels? I was there last May and there was no charge. I'm assuming this is something new?
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #95
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

So...after reading some emails people have received on this thread and the TUG thread....both from rental agencies and management at WBC...it seems official that the fee will be imposed on all guests (who do not own at WBC or are Club Wyndham Access owners) regardless of parking a car or using a shuttle.

I am not happy with this change.

I took the shuttle 2-3 days on my last trip to save on parking. Each time we tipped the driver a few bucks there and back. Does this new fee mean they will be paying the driver more and I don't need to tip? I doubt it!

Does this new fee mean that the buses will come more frequently? I doubt that too.

It seems like Wyndham just wants to make it more difficult for owners to rent their points out, as WBC has become a resort that has a ton of people there who are renting points and aren't owners.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #96
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post

I took the shuttle 2-3 days on my last trip to save on parking. Each time we tipped the driver a few bucks there and back. Does this new fee mean they will be paying the driver more and I don't need to tip? I doubt it!

Does this new fee mean that the buses will come more frequently? I doubt that too.

It seems like Wyndham just wants to make it more difficult for owners to rent their points out, as WBC has become a resort that has a ton of people there who are renting points and aren't owners.
The fee makes it less likely, but not impossible, that WBC will reduce the present shuttle service. Most offsite resorts with shuttle service have a very limited schedule. The shuttle buses offered by WBC are much more frequent then any other offsite property, even when comparing them with resorts which charge for shuttle service.

Most offsite timeshare condo resorts don't offer any shuttle service and the ones that do charge around $10 per day/ per passenger for a relatively limited schedule.

Last edited by Lewisc; 01-31-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #97
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

This isn't about curtailing rentals---the Bonnet HOA Board does not care either way. It is simply a way for the Board to keep fees down for owners, who would otherwise be the ones who pay for the shuttle service. I'm not a fan of doing things this way, but I can see why one would.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #98
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
Sorry to go off course, but they charge a rental fee for pool towels? How does that work?
There is no fee for using pool towels.

You do have to check out pool towels now as opposed to in the past when they had them by the pool in a giant bin. The check-out system is used at a lot of resorts and was no doubt put in place to reduce theft.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #99
big303842
FiVe YeAr OlD aT HeArT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopurposesonly View Post
When did they start charging for pool towels? I was there last May and there was no charge. I'm assuming this is something new?
i was there spring break of '12 and they were charging for pool towels. if you lost yours you were charged 25 bucks! you have to sign them out.

i watched one woman frantically searching last year for her towel as it was taken from her. she was very upset knowing she had to pay 25 bucks for it!

as a guest i clean up after my messes i do the dishes etc.... i do not use the shuttle at all but now will be charged for it? seriously i will be getting my monies worth this trip and will be staying elsewhere next spring.

btw i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #100
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
btw i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.
Not sure how upset the owners will be (me being one of them), because high use resorts have higher maintenance fees which must be passed on to owners. As an owner I really don't care if the resort has a lower use ratio.

However, I would care if I were an owner who frequently rents out stays at this resort.

Most mega renters own their points at low mf resorts and then use these low mf points to reserve units at higher mf resorts for rentals. So therefore, non-renting owners are subsidizing the renting owners businesses.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #101
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Well, I wasn't thrilled either to see this fee. I am not booking my trip just yet (planning for perhaps October of 2014) but I got a quote from VS for October 2013 just to see a ballpark price. A 1 BR deluxe would run me about 89 a night. Then I saw the fee discussion, and realized that would take me over 100 a night. With parking at the parks as well (we would be bringing a vehicle as we have a lot of medical equipment to transport) it would bring it up to $115 a night. My cheap little soul shriveled, thinking about the fact that I could get a Value resort accessible room for $98 a night, free parking, free shuttles (Disney busses, which we don't mind), EMH, and the possibility of free dining. However, if we can't get free dining, the ball swings back toward WBC because at least there we have a kitchen and can do some meals for a lot cheaper. Plus my daughter has fallen in love with the pictures and wants to spend at least one non-park day in the pools, lazy river and mini-golf. If I have one more day of vacation doing resort tours and DTD, I may not have to buy tickets for as long, and maybe even, if I plan it right, wouldn't need the park hopper option. If she got bored of one park (a distinct possibility with her special needs) I bet I could appease her with the resort amenities and downtown disney and other resorts. And we have a ton more room in the room for all my hubby's needs - scooter, recliner, etc. Plus, when he has to take the vehicle to go get treatments, my daughter and I could still use WBC shuttles to get somewhere. We'd just be more locked into their schedules until his treatment was over. i dunno. Overall, I think I have to agree with another poster that this fee turns WBC from a fabulous deal into a great deal. It's definitely still on the list for possible accomodation next fall!
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #102
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
They don't charge a rental fee for the towels, They mention they will charge you if the towels aren't returned.

As someone mentioned, They used to just have the towels out at the pools where you could just grab them when you wanted one. The problem was that too many towels were going missing, which resulted in towel shortages, and the resort being forced to pay to replace them. Since the budget for the resort, including towel replacement, is payed by the maintenance fees paid by the owners, the HOA decided to enact the checkout w/ penalty charge if not returned system to keep down the costs. The idea is that having the potential to charge you if not returned, It makes it more likely people will make sure they return the towels. And if towels go missing, the costs to replace the towels is covered by the fee charged.

(In practice, I've had times where I've accidentally left towels in my room instead of returning them as I'm supposed too... or even misplaced a single towel and not been charged.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
So...after reading some emails people have received on this thread and the TUG thread....both from rental agencies and management at WBC...it seems official that the fee will be imposed on all guests (who do not own at WBC or are Club Wyndham Access owners) regardless of parking a car or using a shuttle.

Remember that this change has been enacted by the HOA, and NOT by Wyndham. [at least directly. I'm not entirely sure how much influence Wyndham still has over the HOA].

That being said, I'm thinking that maybe this charge has been enacted to counteract the loss of subsidies from the sales department. As I'm thinking about it now, I don't think I've seen a line item for the Shuttle on the budget I've received for the past couple years. Since WBC is pretty much sold out at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Subsidies that funding things, such as the shuttle, which made it easier to sell the resort were cut back (Beginning of the year would make sense as a cut-off time). This means that the HOA would end up being forced to make a decision to either discontinue the shuttle service, or find another way to fund it. Their options would end up being either increase the MF's charged to the owner to pay for the shuttle, or enact a fee designed to help fund the system by those who use it. (In theory, The MF's already would help fund the system by the owners of the resort).

As others have mentioned, many offsite properties do not have nearly the same quality of shuttle to the parks, let alone "free" shuttles.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.
To the owners, it is six of one. Anything that is "free" at the resort ends up in their maintenance fees. Anything the resort charges for is just something that they don't have to pay for through their maintenance fees. And, if my understanding is correct, those who own at Bonnet will not have to pay this fee. In other words, to the extent that the owners (by which I mean the "own-to-use" owners) care, they are going to love this.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #104
rockin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
They don't charge a rental fee for the towels, They mention they will charge you if the towels aren't returned.

As someone mentioned, They used to just have the towels out at the pools where you could just grab them when you wanted one. The problem was that too many towels were going missing, which resulted in towel shortages, and the resort being forced to pay to replace them. Since the budget for the resort, including towel replacement, is payed by the maintenance fees paid by the owners, the HOA decided to enact the checkout w/ penalty charge if not returned system to keep down the costs. The idea is that having the potential to charge you if not returned, It makes it more likely people will make sure they return the towels. And if towels go missing, the costs to replace the towels is covered by the fee charged.

(In practice, I've had times where I've accidentally left towels in my room instead of returning them as I'm supposed too... or even misplaced a single towel and not been charged.)

Remember that this change has been enacted by the HOA, and NOT by Wyndham. [at least directly. I'm not entirely sure how much influence Wyndham still has over the HOA].

That being said, I'm thinking that maybe this charge has been enacted to counteract the loss of subsidies from the sales department. As I'm thinking about it now, I don't think I've seen a line item for the Shuttle on the budget I've received for the past couple years. Since WBC is pretty much sold out at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Subsidies that funding things, such as the shuttle, which made it easier to sell the resort were cut back (Beginning of the year would make sense as a cut-off time). This means that the HOA would end up being forced to make a decision to either discontinue the shuttle service, or find another way to fund it. Their options would end up being either increase the MF's charged to the owner to pay for the shuttle, or enact a fee designed to help fund the system by those who use it. (In theory, The MF's already would help fund the system by the owners of the resort).

As others have mentioned, many offsite properties do not have nearly the same quality of shuttle to the parks, let alone "free" shuttles.
I have no issue with the new fee. I do have issue with the way they are implementing it. The communication to owners and the fee launch day are to tight. Also, all existing reservations/renters before the communication date should not have to pay the fee since they made a decision based on the price and promised amenities at the time of reservation.
rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #105
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
To the owners, it is six of one. Anything that is "free" at the resort ends up in their maintenance fees. Anything the resort charges for is just something that they don't have to pay for through their maintenance fees. And, if my understanding is correct, those who own at Bonnet will not have to pay this fee. In other words, to the extent that the owners (by which I mean the "own-to-use" owners) care, they are going to love this.
And it's also worth mentioning that many of the people who rent out stays here, They don't actually own at this specific resort. At least, the amount of points needed for the number of stays they rent out.

Honestly... I own there, and for the most part I am for this as it'll keep me from having to pay more for the bus services I don't even use. I'm a bit torn on my feelings regarding the extent of who's being charged... specifically, other Wyndham Owners and even potentially Exchanges into the resort due to the fact I don't really expect to pay a surcharge if I use my Bonnet points to stay at their home resorts.... But beyond that, I don't mind this at all.

I've personally seen first hand how the resort's operations and certain policies have changed for the worse over the past several years in direct response to the increase in rental popularity at the resort. (Pools used to be 24/7 until party groups and vandalism resulted in their hours being shortened with a hard-close at midnight.....The Towel Checkout situation... The checkout procedures moving from a Timeshare-norm type policy to a much more hotel-like policy [which has resulted in both a hit to my MF's as well as I believe some of the issues we've seen with room cleanliness or readiness after turnover due to the turnover staff having more they need to do during the flip process])
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote