Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

The ride I'd stay away from is Mission:Space Orange! Everything else, you need to see for yourself. From everything I've read, reactions are very personal. Even rides as tame as IaSW can bother some folks. If RNRC did not bother you then it may well be that the rest are fine for you. Of the ones you list, I'd say only EE is the same intensity.

I also suggest that if you go the meds route- test your reaction on a day before you go to WDW to see if they make you drowsy. Maybe take one on a quiest Saturday? I'd hate to find out while on vacation that one of them makes me very sleepy.

What I've noticed for myself, is that over the course of a WDW vacation, the more things I ride the more I become desensitized. I've also found simple breathing techniques to be highly helpful. I suggest trying the new ride late in the day, and/or late in the vacation.

A short class on breathing exercises (yoga lite) also made a big difference. Just taking a few deep breathes can really help.

With Star Tours, as others have said, if you close your eyes, it's just a tilting box. The majority of the 'motion' comes from the movie. In many cases, motion sickness comes from the difference you notice between what you see and what motion your body knows it is experiencing. A tiny difference between the two is the problem, which your inner ear detects. Closing your eye eliminates the movie. So the first time you try it, try riding it with your eyes mostly closed. If you use a fastpass, you wont have wasted much time.

I think it also helps to keep in mind....most of the attractions are only about 3minutes long. RNRC is only 90 seconds.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Just don't go on the Primeval Hurl (Whirl) in Animal Kingdom if you don't like jerky rides.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

The 3-D effects, especially in Star Tours doesn't help matters.....
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Go on each of the rides. If you throw up, you could not handle it.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
I am extremely prone to motion sickness and generic meclizine works well - I don't need to to take it the nite before, but many do. Bonine, the brand name version runs about $5 for 16ct pack at Wally World, but you can get the generic at the pharmacy counter much cheaper. As in less than $5 for a 100 ct bottle - no Rx needed. DW and I take a lot of cruises and wouldn't dream of going without it!

Scopalamine transdermal patches can be lot more expensive and needs an Rx. They also have lot more side effects - they make me very loopy, tired and the worst cotton mouth ever. You also need to be careful taking them off/putting back on - if you get any of the drug on your fingers and rub them into your eyes, its not good and don't ask me why, lol!
Well I live in Canada and I can get them as over the counter so they must be milder then the ones you've used. Maybe ask at the drugstore what your options are.
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherSS View Post
Hey all, like the title says I feel like my motion sickness is making me miss out on some of the rides I've always wanted to go on and feel like they are a must try for any Disney goer. A few rides being Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Star Tours and Expedition Everest. I have no problems with fast swooping turns or drops seeing that Tower of Terror does not bother me but its more so the constant sharp jerking back and forth. I did ride Rockin' Rollercoaster a few year back and I was good about 10 minutes after getting off the ride but it was on the edge of being too much. Think I could handle any of the 4 rides I listed above?
Have you tried "seabands"? They work for my kids. Can get them on line. I think they are around $10 per pair. You wear them on your wrist.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

I get bad motion sickness and Rockin Rollar Coaster and Tower of Terror are the only 2 rides I have been afraid to try! LOL! So I would say that you will be fine on the other rides!! I have been using the scopalamine patches for my past 2 trips to Disney and have been doing pretty well. I need them for the plane ride and then I keep them on all week so I don't feel the affects of the rides. Only time I have felt sick is after my second time in a row riding Space Mountain. I was fine the first time but going on again right after was not a smart move. I ride Soarin' but close my eyes if I feel whoosey (SP??) and then I am okay. I have not tried Star Wars and don't plan to, although my husband wishes I would. Now I did get very ill on EE, but I did not have a patch that visit and I did not take anything for motion sickness. It might not have been so bad if I had taken something. I highly recommend the scopalamine patches. They can be pricey but it's worth it for me not to get sick on vacation! Good luck!!

P.S. I am planning on trying TOT and RnRC in September. I figured I will try them towards the end of my day that way if I get sick, I can go straight back to the hotel!!

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR

nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

Good to see there are other helpful people dealing with the same problem. I'm going to try out Bonine before I go to the park to see how I react to it. Hopefully, its positive and then go for it! I think I'm going to give Thunder Mountain a shot first seems more mild than the other 3 I listed then go from there.

Past Stays: Fort Wilderness, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary.
MyOtherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Go on each of the rides. If you throw up, you could not handle it.
truly pragmatic advice

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
nonstopdisneymom
Mouseketeer

My mother has always felt with motion sickness. She even gets sick just watching the merry-go-round. Lol. So she has always avoided any rides.

But last year she decided she wanted to be able to enjoy her trip, so she asked her doctor for an anti-nausea medicine. The prescription she got was a nausea medicine given to cancer patients. It didn't make her tired like Dramamine or Bromine does and it worked amazingly!! She even road TSM!! May sound simple to some but that was a major break through for her.
nonstopdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: