Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #826
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post

Can experienced cruisers tell me why the excursions have to be Disney's. Just wondering. I have done six of them on my two cruises and I have never taken a Disney one. Partially because of cost, partially because they are always so late posting them.
I almost always do ports on my own . . . but I know that for many, it makes them more secure to know that Disney knows where they are and won't leave without them.

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #827
amandamc8
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone! We're a little late in finding you all but hope you don't mind a couple of new-comers...

I'm Amanda and I'll be travelling with my daughter Hayley 19. We're from Staffordshire in England - so much closer to the port than a lot of you guys

This will be our 6th Disney cruise - we were on the Dream for NYE (which was absolutely amazing) Alaska last summer, the Med in 2010 & 2011 and the Caribbean in 2008. Don't know our stateroom number yet as we have a GTY booking, but do know that we're on second seating for dinner.

Off back to the beginning of the thread now to catch up - 56 pages might take me some time!!!
2012 CSR, GCH, Alaska on the Wonder, BWV, AKL & NYE on the Dream!
xx In loving memory of my wonderful Husband Miles 1968-2009 Gone but never, ever forgotten... We miss you so much xx

amandamc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #828
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamc8 View Post
Hi Everyone! We're a little late in finding you all but hope you don't mind a couple of new-comers...

I'm Amanda and I'll be travelling with my daughter Hayley 19. We're from Staffordshire in England - so much closer to the port than a lot of you guys

This will be our 6th Disney cruise - we were on the Dream for NYE (which was absolutely amazing) Alaska last summer, the Med in 2010 & 2011 and the Caribbean in 2008. Don't know our stateroom number yet as we have a GTY booking, but do know that we're on second seating for dinner.

Off back to the beginning of the thread now to catch up - 56 pages might take me some time!!!
Welcome! You've been added to the Roll Call!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #829
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burma View Post
Someone said that you wanted Navigators from our cruise in June. I will try to post them for you daily from the boat. If not the day we get back to the states.
Burma - you are fabulous

I hope you guys have a blast in June. I can't wait to hear all the details when you get back.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #830
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone! Wow I had a lot of reading to catch up since returning from my Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy last weekend! I had a wonderful time—she is a beautiful ship, but almost “too” good. There was just so much to do that I felt like I was always missing out on something. I am really looking forward to being back on the Magic for this cruise and enjoying the smaller scale.

I see a lot of discussion has been going on regarding what everyone has booked on their own or what excursions they are planning. I have a lot of stuff booked already and mostly just logistics planning to do now as far as transportation and timing for some of the places we are doing on our own. Here is what we have so far:

Barcelona- we are arriving 2 full days pre-cruise. We are staying at Hotel Jazz which was recommended on one of the Med threads on here, and good ratings. First day, we are hitting the beach to relax and catch up to the time difference. That evening (Thursday) we booked a tasting tapas tour with Barcelona Taste, which was very highly rated on Trip Advisor. It is only a small group of 8, and they take you to 4-5 local, authentic places to eat tapas and drink wine. I am a total foodie so this was right up my alley. According the reviews they also give you directions to return to the places at your own leisure for full meals or recommend other places as well, so it is great we are doing this our 1st night and can pick out some reputable restaurants for our 2nd day in the city. If anyone wants to join us for this tour, there are 6 spots left and we’d love to meet up with some of you! On Friday, we have booked a Vespa (scooter) rental to tour the city. It has pre-programmed GPS tours of the city, 4 to choose from, so we can see the sights in style! I am really excited for this one.

Villefranche- we are doing this port on our own. We will take the train to Monaco first for a short visit and then take the train back to Nice for a relaxing beach day. I have been here before and absolutely love it.

La Spezia- this is my birthday! I have been to Florence and Pisa before so we are doing Cinque Terre on our own. I can’t think of a better way to spend my bday than a day visiting 5 Italian villages and enjoying great food, wine, and a dip in the beautiful ocean! Plus I plan to book Palo for my birthday dinner : )

Civitavecchia- this is our most expensive private excursion by far, but will be worth it. We booked a private car and guide to take us into the city where we’ll be touring the Colosseum, Vatican, and many other sites in between plus a leisurely Italian lunch and stops for gelato. I have been to Rome before and their public transportation system is not nearly as developed or efficient as other cities. It is doable on your own but since this is my dad’s first visit and we only have 1 day, we wanted the ease and luxury of a private trip, hence why this one is our splurge. The distance from the port alone makes it worthwhile.

Piraeus- we have another private tour booked into Athens. We’ll be visiting all of the main historical sites plus time in the Plaka district for shopping and traditional Greek food.

Kusadasi- we have another private tour booked for the main sites at Ephesus and then lunch and shopping at Sirince Village for some local food/wine. On the way back we’ll get dropped off at the beach in Kusadasi for a few hours and then we can walk back to the ship from there.

Mykonos- thanks to someone on here, sorry I can’t remember who?! We are going to book the St. John’s resort for the day. It seems like a total steal for only 30 euros/pp to get roundtrip transportation and have a beautiful resort and private beach for the day. we were going to do one of the public beaches on our own but we are so grateful we got this tip to do St. John’s instead!

Valletta- thanks to Heather’s tip, we booked the 10:30 tour at Playmobil Factory which I am super excited about. Sounds like a really unique experience. After that 1 hour tour, we are going to head back to Valletta and possibly a local beach, or maybe just stroll through the town, not sure yet.

Paris (Post-Cruise)- we are doing 4 more nights here at Disneyland Paris, which I’m super excited for. This will be my 3rd visit to Paris and I am finally getting to DLP. We are staying at Disney’s Hotel New York. We are planning to spend 1 full day in Paris itself, we have booked a ½ day tour with Left Bank Scooters, highly rated on Trip Advisor for a fun way to tour the city. There are only 1 or 2 scooters max per tour. After the tour we’ll do a trip down the Seine and ascend the Eiffel Tower. Love Paris!

Love hearing about everyone else’s plans too! Can’t believe we are less than 6 months away!!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #831
pirateluv
Mouseketeer

Wow, Nicole, that's impressive planning!. Our plans are still 'in progress' ! Although I have been doing research on the ports and trying to figure out what everyone would like. I think the DCL excursions look interesting and I was so glad to see that they came out. I imagine we will do a combination of DCL excursions and also touring some ports on our own.
We are also looking forward to being back on the Magic, even after being on the Fantasy for New Year's. I love the Magic!!
This trip seems to be comiing fast now, I am so looking forward to it!! Even though our plans aren't finalized we are super excited!!!!

Joan
DCL Fantasy Eastern Dec 28 2013

pirateluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #832
slg
DIS Veteran

Hi Joan:

I was on the Fantasy for NYE too. Wasn't it wonderful?

I think we are going to stick with DCL. I know they cost more, I know that you can customize, but honestly, I just want the peace of mind and that's worth a lot to me.

We're doing 10 days of Paris on our own and that's enough planning and running around for me.

In Mykonos I think we'll do the delos tour and then hang out in the town for a while. Still need to look what to do in town if we do that.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #833
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
La Spezia- this is my birthday! I have been to Florence and Pisa before so we are doing Cinque Terre on our own. I can’t think of a better way to spend my bday than a day visiting 5 Italian villages and enjoying great food, wine, and a dip in the beautiful ocean! Plus I plan to book Palo for my birthday dinner : )
Nicole -- La Spezia is my birthday, too! We haven't figured out plans yet, but I'd like to do Cinque Terre (and leave my kiddos on the ship, most likely). And Palo is TOTALLY on my wishlist for the day!

Loved reading the rest of your plans -- very inspiring
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #834
happy_momma
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone,

We just booked this cruise two weeks ago, and would love to be added to the Roll Call. We are Tara (42, turning 43 while cruising), Joe (45), Hannah (17), and Ben (6). We've done Disney a number of times, but this is the first cruise for all of us, and we are super excited about the cruise, and taking the kids to Europe. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, and have read through the entire thread. So much information!

We are from Nova Scotia - hello to fellow Canadian/Atlantic Canadians.

Tara
happy_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #835
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post
Hi Everyone,

We just booked this cruise two weeks ago, and would love to be added to the Roll Call.

Tara
Welcome Tara and family.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #836
slg
DIS Veteran

Tara! Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

My husband is from Nova Scotia also! He is from Cape Breton, where are you from?

Our family goes there often...only in the summer though.

Look forward to meeting you. I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old so perhaps they will become friends.

These are great people. Ask any questions you want.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #837
pirateluv
Mouseketeer

Hi sig: Yes the Fantasy was wonderful, We met at Currents, remember the dismeet with Manny's bracelets and then again at Sarah's staircase picture! I know what you mean about the stress free DCL excursions! We are thinking of the Delos one too!
Welcome to all the new Canadian cruisers, there is quite a Canadian contingent. We are from Ottawa, can't wait for that hot Med weather, could use some about now, I am very tired of winter, but thinking of the Med trip is great.

Joan
DCL Fantasy Eastern Dec 28 2013

pirateluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #838
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Barcelona- we are arriving 2 full days pre-cruise. We are staying at Hotel Jazz which was recommended on one of the Med threads on here, and good ratings. First day, we are hitting the beach to relax and catch up to the time difference. That evening (Thursday) we booked a tasting tapas tour with Barcelona Taste, which was very highly rated on Trip Advisor. It is only a small group of 8, and they take you to 4-5 local, authentic places to eat tapas and drink wine. I am a total foodie so this was right up my alley. According the reviews they also give you directions to return to the places at your own leisure for full meals or recommend other places as well, so it is great we are doing this our 1st night and can pick out some reputable restaurants for our 2nd day in the city. If anyone wants to join us for this tour, there are 6 spots left and we’d love to meet up with some of you!
Lurking on your thread for port info (we're on the June 27th sailing) and liked the sound of the Tapas Tour
Just booked it for us for June 25th
Barely got in before it was sold out!
Thanks so much for the tip
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #839
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post
Hi Everyone,

We just booked this cruise two weeks ago, and would love to be added to the Roll Call. We are Tara (42, turning 43 while cruising), Joe (45), Hannah (17), and Ben (6). We've done Disney a number of times, but this is the first cruise for all of us, and we are super excited about the cruise, and taking the kids to Europe. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, and have read through the entire thread. So much information!

We are from Nova Scotia - hello to fellow Canadian/Atlantic Canadians.

Tara
Welcome Aboard! You've been added to the Roll Call!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #840
burma
My Oh My What A Wonderful Day

WelcomeTara

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: