Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #76
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
I agree with the OP. I think it also sounds gross and don't think it has something for everyone. I do agree that the menus are too homogenous at WDW and that its nice to find something different.....But how about ONE boring, simple dish like steak and some form of potatoes so that us plain, meat-and-potato types can also enjoy eating in the castle.
This. Disney seems to think it has to be all or nothing. This would also be my argument for the children's menu at BOG. Yes, people were looking for something other than chicken fingers and mac and cheese for the kids. Fair point, but why not offer both types of food? Some kids like grilled fish or steak and some just want the chicken fingers. Offering one more dish on any of the Disney menus certainly wouldn't be a terrible thing. They're awfully limited compared to many restaurants in the "real" world. Just sayin'.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #77
jltdone
Mouseketeer

I am not a picking eater at all there are some things i like better then other things. I understand about the menu thing and what the person who made this thread is talking about yes there is beef chicken fish veg.dishes and other thing but if meals come with brussel sprouts and u dont like them guess what u r not ordering it unless u can sub something out for something else. Yes it is a treat to eat in the castle and yes that is why most of us would do it or have already done it. it is expensive we all know that and if there is 6 things on the menu and you dont like mushrooms and brussel sprouts then there is not much left for you to order.
I would maybe call the resturant( on a slow time) before going and ask them if you can sub something instead of the brussel sprouts and get carrots or something like that from one of the other dishes it is worth a shot.
jltdone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #78
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
I don't think it's laziness, it's more cost and time efficient for the kitchen to offer fewer choices, a result of the DDP. In culinary terms, that is the very definition of laziness. Cut cost. Cut time. Increase efficiency at the expense of creativity. When one refers to a restaurant as being " lazy", that is what is meant. Not that the workers don't work hard. But that management is cutting corners. The new menu, which I do appreciate and can certainly understand why others may not, is following a new concept for Disney. A concept now quite prevalent, BOG being another perfect example, very few choices, a pork, a beef, a fish, a seafood, a chicken and a vegetarian options and that's it! Offering a pork, beef, chicken, fish and pasta choice is hardly a new concept. Pretty much the formula since the post Edwardian era.

My family and I would enjoy all 6 menu choices available but for someone who only does steak and potatoes or a vegan and a pescatarian the menu would be very restrictive!

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out! Will Disney cave!
It's funny. 15 years ago, magazines were writing feature stories on how WDW was setting the standard for resort and vacation dining. And people rejoiced. Then, a huge downturn in quality and creativity happened and people here freaked out. Now, there is a concerted effort to ramp up the quality and creativity again, and people complain that they want boring food again. Trust me. There is plenty of that to be found at WDW. But let's welcome the fact that the higher priced restaurants are flexing their culinary muscles and challenging the masses to think out of the box and try "exotic" foods such as gnocchi, grouper and Brussels sprouts.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #79
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
It's funny. 15 years ago, magazines were writing feature stories on how WDW was setting the standard for resort and vacation dining. And people rejoiced. Then, a huge downturn in quality and creativity happened and people here freaked out. Now, there is a concerted effort to ramp up the quality and creativity again, and people complain that they want boring food again. Trust me. There is plenty of that to be found at WDW. But let's welcome the fact that the higher priced restaurants are flexing their culinary muscles and challenging the masses to think out of the box and try "exotic" foods such as gnocchi, grouper and Brussels sprouts.
Agree! I think one reason these threads get a tiny bit heated is that folks who are happy to see Disney improve a bit are afraid that with these types of complaints Disney will retreat back to boring menus with the same food everywhere and very limited (and somewhat insulting) offerings for children. I for one am hoping this trend towards more interesting food continues and grows.

My family is taking a year break from Disney to see how so many of these changes play out. Looking forward to many many days at an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean where dining reservations can be made the day before and the menus are diverse.
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #80
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I am always the oddity in the bunch, I think the new CRT menu looks good. I have been to a few upscale restaurants locally, and their menus have always been "Disneyesque" in that there are limited choices.

By offering fewer items, there is a greater chance of having better food. In the same vein, the more items offered, there could be a reduction in quality, not necessarily bad food, but not great food. Case in point, all the opinions on Disney buffets, lots of variety, but many saying the food is not worth the price.

Change is the only certainty
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #81
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
. But let's welcome the fact that the higher priced restaurants are flexing their culinary muscles and challenging the masses to think out of the box and try "exotic" foods such as gnocchi, grouper and Brussels sprouts.
But in welcoming that change, shouldn't a vegetarian have more than one choice on a 6 item menu, shouldn't there be more than one fish dish on the chance that heaven forbid, not everyone likes that type of fish! The change is lovely, I applaud it, great that they are offering better quality on a 6 item menu with only one prevalent side and a butternut puree on near to each dish!

Offering a pork, beef, chicken, fish and pasta choice is hardly a new concept. Pretty much the formula since the post Edwardian era.

Actually it is a relatively new concept for Disney, prior to the DDP the Disney menus offered more than one option of each protein, in simplistic terms, they had more than 6 entrees. They also had other items from which to be able to substitute from, etc. etc!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #82
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids View Post
By offering fewer items, there is a greater chance of having better food.
and you know for my family that works because we eat near to everything and anything, even the kids but what about everyone else? I travel with a vegetarian, and I think it's ridiculous that at BOG and CRT she now only has 1 choice. Vegans, vegetarians and pescatarian are quite prevalent now in our society and I think 6 entrees too restrictive of a menu for many and I can understand their un-happiness even if the change makes me and mine ecstatic!

In the end, for the price charged for that particular experience, some of the population Disney has chosen to exclude, may then choose not to eat there!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #83
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
But in welcoming that change, shouldn't a vegetarian have more than one choice on a 6 item menu, shouldn't there be more than one fish dish on the chance that heaven forbid, not everyone likes that type of fish! The change is lovely, I applaud it, great that they are offering better quality on a 6 item menu with only one prevalent side and a butternut puree on near to each dish! I am not aware of many fine dining establishments that operate like this. While the fish may change weekly or daily, there is usually one fish and perhaps a scallop entree to boot. High end restaurants do not have Applebee's style menus that go on for pages.

[B][COLOR="Red"]
Actually it is a relatively new concept for Disney, prior to the DDP the Disney menus offered more than one option of each protein, in simplistic terms, they had more than 6 entrees. They also had other items from which to be able to substitute from, etc. etc!
New concept? Hardly. I have been dining at WDW annually since 1972 and have been to all of the more upscale places numerous times. Other than places like Shula's or Yachtsman that offer multiple options for beef, most places do not. The California Grill rested on its Oak Grilled Fillet from day one. Other than sushi or other apps, there was only one finned fish per night. And that's just a single example.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #84
plutonic
Earning My Ears

I think the menu looks good!

March 2007 - Off-Site April 2007 - Grad Nite 2007 November 2010 - Coronado Springs Resort / FAWF May 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort June 2013 - Grand Floridian Honeymoon October 2013 - Yacht Club / FAWF April 2014 - Flower & Garden Festival June 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside 1st Anniversary
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #85
Sunny37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geishagirl81 View Post
AGREED! I ALWAYS roll my eyes when someone starts a post with "I have no sympathy blah blah blah..". Like ppl can never put themselves in the OP shoes- and get jollies on pointing that out.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #86
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm

Quote:
New concept? Hardly. I have been dining at WDW annually since 1972 and have been to all of the more upscale places numerous times. Other than places like Shula's or Yachtsman that offer multiple options for beef, most places do not. The California Grill rested on its Oak Grilled Fillet from day one. Other than sushi or other apps, there was only one finned fish per night. And that's just a single example.
I won't rant and/or bore you, nor everyone else for that matter, by dissecting each and every menu Jimmy, it's obvious that my experiences and opinions differ from yours! I happen to befriend/travel with a diversity of diners, not picky eaters, I don't consider vegans, vegetarians and pescatarian to be picky eaters. I don't think they are adequately represented in a 6 item menu. The simple addition of a another pasta and /or a shellfish dish and/or a green bean or a white potato would greatly improve the menu for many!

Even you agreed somewhat,

Quote:
Brussels sprouts are great. But come up with another featured side like roasted broccoli or haricot vert so that they can be swapped interchangeably upon request.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #87
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It looks like pretty much a regular Disney restaurant menu.

Ask for the mushrooms or sprouts to be left off. I'm not sure what the OP eats if they won't eat anything on the menu. They don't eat fish or beef but there is chicken and a vegetarian/pasta dish. I have seen posters who prefer to only eat steak. I do note there is also nothing fried. That appears to be in keeping with some of the restaurants at WDW moving away from the "unhealtiher" offerings.

Gnocchi is pasta. It just may not be the kind of pasta that people are used to. It is made from potatoes.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 01-31-2013 at 11:46 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #88
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
I agree with the OP. I think it also sounds gross and don't think it has something for everyone. I do agree that the menus are too homogenous at WDW and that its nice to find something different.....But how about ONE boring, simple dish like steak and some form of potatoes so that us plain, meat-and-potato types can also enjoy eating in the castle.

That being said, breakfast is when we go. I love a big, delicious breakfast at Disney, which is why we aren't doing the dining plan this trip- just not a good use of your TS credit.
On the Disney website, it's still showing that beef tenderloin w/ roasted fingerling potatoes is an option for dinner on the adult dinner menu. Is that incorrect ??

The kids menu is also showing mashed potatoes and green beans w/ the steak... so couldn't someone substitute (or ask to) the squash or brussel sprouts for that?

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #89
ktlm
DIS Veteran

I absolutely hate brussel sprouts and mushrooms. They are 2 of my most despised food items. To the PP that said something like would you rather have overcooked mushy green beans or carrots- my answer would always be absolutely yes. My DH loves brussel sprouts, and when he cooks them I've been known to leave the house, because the stench of them cooking turns my stomach. I'm not worried about the brussel spouts (unless the whole place smells like them, as I have no doubt that WDW will leave them off the plate upon request). I have more issues with places that have mushrooms in a good portion of the items on their menu, because in my experience very often the mushrooms can not be left off because portions of the dish or sauce have been prepared in advance and the mushrooms are already there. I have had issues with that in multiple places when something that sounds really good is ruined by the inclusion of those yucky things.

That said, I've had the Major Domo's short ribs at CRT, and they are really good! As long as they keep those on the menu, it looks good to me! For those still upset about the loss of the Major Domo's pie a while back, they aren't exactly the same, but the taste is really similar. They are a good enough substitute that I didn't miss the pie that much!
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #90
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

OP- I'm sorry for your disappointment. BTDT on previous trips where I've picked my ADRs based on a menu only to have the item I was after change. As we all know. menus are subject to change, but it doesn't help the disappointment. The need to plan 180 out only heightens the anticipation which makes the drop back to earth even more pronounced when the change hapens. I hope that you can make an adjustment and find an option that works for you. Headed your way for a great ADR to open up for you.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how yet another thread has turned into an all-about-me fest with a touch of superiority thrown in. Seems to be the way of the boards of late.
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: