Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

AK: Boma, Y&Y, or Tusker House for dinner?

I'm trying to choose between Boma, Tusker House, and Yak & Yeti for dinner on our AK day. Just wondering which of these y'all would recommend the most, and why? We currently have an ADR for Boma, but I am considering changing it. If it matters, we will be having lunch at Flame Tree that day. Thanks DISers!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Boma is amazing! The soups are to die for. It was my favorite meal on our last trip. The offerings are also unique - I have no idea where I would get that type of a selection at home. I can't wait to go back this fall!

That said, we almost always have lunch at Yak and Yeti on our AK day. I know it's hit or a miss for a lot of people but we've always enjoyed it (love those fried green beans)! AK is a big park and it is a nice place for a leisurely sit down lunch and a bit of a rest. I'm not sure I would choose it for dinner, though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

We love Y&Y
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post
Boma is amazing! The soups are to die for. It was my favorite meal on our last trip. The offerings are also unique - I have no idea where I would get that type of a selection at home. I can't wait to go back this fall!

That said, we almost always have lunch at Yak and Yeti on our AK day. I know it's hit or a miss for a lot of people but we've always enjoyed it (love those fried green beans)! AK is a big park and it is a nice place for a leisurely sit down lunch and a bit of a rest. I'm not sure I would choose it for dinner, though.
Hm, maybe I should just stick w/Boma then. I've always wanted to try it, but I keep reading good things about TH and Y&Y too. But I can only try one of the 3 on this trip. #disneyproblems
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

Y & Y, get the last reservation time of the day and walk out of the empty park. Priceless!
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Y&Y is just your normal Chinese food. I never thought it was worth getting that when I could just get it here at home. Boma is fantastic, however, it has lost some of its quality over the past year or so. Tusker House is affectionately termed "Boma Light" and very good. The restaurant is so open and well-themed. I actually just made a reservation there a few minutes ago.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

LOVE #DisneyProblems! That made me LOL for real.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the choices - the idea of walking out of an empty AK after a Y&Y dinner is intriguing. We've always been ready to leave AK well before dinner but I know a lot of people can spend multiple days there.

Y&Y is good but a bit pedestrian (sort of like PF Chang's). Boma has no comparison and is probably best for slightly adventurous eaters. I'm not a huge fan of buffets but they used small and frequently rotated platters which made me happy. And it was SO good. I think I tried at least a small spoonful of everything on the buffet except the green salad!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
amym2
DIS Veteran

LOVE Boma! Honestly we haven't eaten at either of the others, but I'd stick with your original plan. AKL is so neat to visit.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Mousin' Around
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor View Post
I'm trying to choose between Boma, Tusker House, and Yak & Yeti for dinner on our AK day. Just wondering which of these y'all would recommend the most, and why? We currently have an ADR for Boma, but I am considering changing it. If it matters, we will be having lunch at Flame Tree that day. Thanks DISers!

In order, I would choose Boma, Yak and then Tusker.
Mousin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Boma, hands down for sure

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Boma, hands down for sure
The soups (Tomato, Ginger Carrot, Curry Cauliflower, Lentil & Sausage ) the salads ( Tabouleh, Watermelon Rind, Tunisian Cous-Cous) The dressings (Chili Cilantro Lime, ? Balsamic Vinaigrette) The African dishes & the meats (Boboti, Durban Roasted Chicken, Roast Beef, Salmon). The little tartletsIt's fresh, imaginative and also includes foods fort he less adventuresome eaters, along with typical kids fare. We love it!

Yak & Yeti, they've overcooked my shrimp twice, done!!!!!!! It's average Chinese food!

Tusker House, love it but we've only ever done the Character breakfast which I think beats them all! Great character interaction, good food, just an all around fun time!

P.S. We also love Sanaa, eating with a possible view of the Savannah, fantastic!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will stick with Boma because it does sound delicious! I still want to try Y&Y and TH, but there's always next trip, right?

Quote:
We also love Sanaa, eating with a possible view of the Savannah, fantastic!
I thought about Sanaa too, both for the view and the menu which looks delicious. I definitely want to eat there someday!

Quote:
LOVE #DisneyProblems! That made me LOL for real.
Haha!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
khmiller
Mouseketeer

Boma is at AKL, not AK.
khmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

Tusker House! Love it!!!

We stopped going to Boma a few years ago because our 2 previous trips we ended up waiting over an hour to be seated because of issues with their "system" Not a huge fan of the food at Y&Y.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmiller
Boma is at AKL, not AK.
I know that, thank you. We want to go to an AK-area restaurant for dinner. Doesn't have to be in the park.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: