Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
mutley251
Earning My Ears

Huntington Beach vs Palm Springs

We have 2 'spare' nights between Vegas and Disney on our up coming trip. I've heard some rave about Palm Springs, however in contrast I've heard it's sleepy and boring.

A friend mentioned Huntington Beach as a great place for a few days.

We are more modern people and less heritage people.

Any thoughts and pros and cons?

Many thanks.
mutley251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Stephanie218
DIS Veteran

I go to Palm Springs to sit by the pool, have some drinks, read a book, and then go out for a nice dinner at night...if that helps to answer your question, haha. Besides going hiking/rock climbing at Joshua Tree (about 45 min away?) or going shopping, I haven't found too much to do. If you want to relax, I'd do PS, otherwise, probably HB.
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
hreshtag
Earning My Ears

Re:

Hi! Palm Springs is, in my humble opinion, a place where Los Angelenos go to swim, soak up (even more) sun, drink, and get away from it all (although everyone they know has decided to go there too). It's honestly NOT a "fun" city unless you want to swim in a pool (and it's cold now, even in PS, unless there's a heated pool) and drink and, heck, you can do that just about anywhere. There is 1 saving grace in PS and that is the Palm Springs Aerial Tram. It's a VERY COOL experience, once in a lifetime sort of thing. Google it. CA beaches are generally nice, but there isn't actually a lot to "do" there. If you're looking for relaxation, I suppose you could choose a beach over PS.

Since you're so close to LA, why don't you do something fun there/here (I live here. I'm not sure where you live, but there are lots of fun things to do here. What exactly are you looking for for those 2 spare days? Fun & adventure, or relaxation, or sight-seeing, or educational-ish stuff like museums or... ?
hreshtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Personally, I've never really seen the appeal behind visiting PS. I lived there for a couple years and there is one thing that defines Palm Springs: WIND! Yes, it's warm in the summer, but it's windy all the time!

I much prefer Huntington Beach (I live there now). There's lots to do within walking distance of the beach. There's a street fair every Tuesday, and an art/craft fair every weekend. Lots of restaurants, some shopping, the surf museum, Surf Schools, and Segway tours. Along with the beach, you could easily kill 2 days here!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
mutley251
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your replies. We have 2 days between Vegas and LA and Anaheim. Not looking for anything too snoozy. We want to go some place we haven't done before. We are from Australia and have done Vegas to LA numerous times, but want to fill a couple of days with somewhere different.

We aren't really museum kind of people.
mutley251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: