Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #46
lsythes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
All that said, I'm still very much in the mode of believing NOTHING from the new website. The moment someone comes back and actually experiences that menu, I'll believe it. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, it's just the IT people playing pranks on us.
Now *this* I can get behind! Thanks for cheering me up!!
lsythes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #47
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

It's unfortunate that you do not like the menu, BOG is experiencing much the same criticism. For one, I've been happy with many of the changes in the WDW menus. Most of the restaurants seemed to offer pretty much the same tired menus over and over for the last several years and gosh, I'm excited at the thought of Brussels sprouts, leeks, parsnips, eggplant, Faro, mushrooms etc. Honestly, I have a bit of an obsession with short ribs..... not much into character dining but this may sway me!

I'm sure it isn't what you want to hear but there are many other restaurants to choose from and/or if you really want CRT, then try to be open to the idea of trying new things just for the experience! You might be surprised!

Good luck!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

That sounds to me like a lovely menu, but then again (well-executed) Brussels sprouts and fish are two of my favorite things to eat. I feel there's a good variety of restaurants at WDW. If one has a menu that is not appealing, why not try a different one? You may find a new favorite.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #49
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I know! When BOG's kids menu came out with new and unusual findings people complained after years of complaints that the menus were all the same and generic kids food
I have to admit, after reading this thread this afternoon, it's gotten me really wanting to make dinner ADR's. Soooooo, after telling my DH, he totally agreed and we just called and cancelled Kona and made a dinner ADR for CRT!! YAY!! (the grouper just sounder way too good to me!!)

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #50
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
The main goal is to eat in the castle, for what is our first, and is probably our last, time. But I"m not going to shell out $150 for 3 vegetarian meals that are nasty, just to eat in the castle.
You havent even tried it yet but youre already saying its nasty??

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I like the look of the new menu and personally think there is something for everyone.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #52
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I think the new menu sounds amazing - we've never tried CRT but those choices are enough to put it on my "must try" list.

I also wanted to give a little love to Brussels sprouts, the universally loathed vegetable. They ARE disgusting when boiled or steamed (the only way I was served them as a child). But when properly roasted or sautéed, they are sweet, nutty, and delicious!

Disney is also usually really good about subbing sides - I'm sure you could come up with a nice plate if you mix and match the courses.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I love brussel sprouts(ccooked many ways), but not the new menu...

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 01-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #54
Disneymama01
Mouseketeer

I have to say it looks delicious! I will be there for the 5th time this August and am actually glad to see a menu change. Dont let things like a menu change ruin your trip the joy your dd will have just being there will be worth "suffering" threw brussel sprouts which are probably cooked to prefection. Enjoy Disney dont let silly things ruin it.
Disneymama01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #55
TexasErin
Loves old Pluto cartoons

I agree with the OP. I think it also sounds gross and don't think it has something for everyone. I do agree that the menus are too homogenous at WDW and that its nice to find something different.....But how about ONE boring, simple dish like steak and some form of potatoes so that us plain, meat-and-potato types can also enjoy eating in the castle.

That being said, breakfast is when we go. I love a big, delicious breakfast at Disney, which is why we aren't doing the dining plan this trip- just not a good use of your TS credit.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #56
MagicalMelissa
Earning My Ears

We actually had dinner there last night and I was suprised by the new menu. I have to say, it was delicious! The grouper was so good. Brussel sprouts are not my favorite either, but I did try them and they had a nice flavor. Paired with the fish and sweet potatoes, the flavors went very well together. Good luck - whatever you decide!
MagicalMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #57
MagicalMelissa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
I agree with the OP. I think it also sounds gross and don't think it has something for everyone. I do agree that the menus are too homogenous at WDW and that its nice to find something different.....But how about ONE boring, simple dish like steak and some form of potatoes so that us plain, meat-and-potato types can also enjoy eating in the castle.
They did have a beef tenderloin on the menu with green beans (and I think roasted potatoes). A few people in our group ordered it and said it was very good.
MagicalMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #58
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
You havent even tried it yet but youre already saying its nasty??
I'm not *saying* that anything is anything. I don't even believe the menu has changed, LOL. After all, this is all from the disneyworld website, which isn't showing the truth a lot of the time during this time of change.

I'm just saying that a gross meal isn't worth $150. See what I'm saying? It's not "it IS nasty", it's "it's not worth it for something nasty". Surely you agree? I'm thinking you didn't read my whole post if you really thought I was SAYING something rather than *discussing* something.

We plunked down nearly 2 times the CRT cost (for lunch for our family) for Club 33 last year, and one of the things they served was, indeed, nasty to me (the truffled mac and cheese, a much beloved thing to others!). Thankfully DH loved it and could give up one of the things on his plate, so we swapped and all were happy. It's just too much money to spend on something you don't like!

Oh, and I was responding to people saying it shouldn't bug anyone. But it DOES bug people to have a menu, that they have looked forward to, change.

And lastly, I would definitely have canceled if the previously rumored change had been made. The vegetarian option mentioned a month or so ago when possible changes were discussed was a ragout if I recall correctly, and in my experience, Disney doesn't do those very well. The ones I've tried were, indeed, quite nasty. The one I had at Coral Reef nearly made me cry*, it smelled and tasted so funky and weird and metallic and just off. Again, DH thought it was decent (this happened before Club 33 so I guess it shouldn't be "again" in this case) and we swapped.

*I have always been sensitive to smells, and then I got pregnant and had maybe two cravings the whole time, but had aversions to nearly everything else, because of taste, smell, and even how it looked. DS is 8, but it's never gone totally away, and I physically cannot eat something that smells funky or tastes weird to me. Just can't. And I *can* get emotional about it. So glad DH is so awesome and can tell immediately when I'm having food problems long before anyone else might come close to noticing, and will swap or whatever is needed.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #59
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

To be honest, this new menu is really not that appealing to me either. I can't stand mushrooms so those dishes are automatically out. I'm not a huge fan of brussel sprouts but could order something without eating them. I find it interesting that they didn't do unique sides/flavorings for the dishes... for example, the grouper and the pork shank are identical in descriptions except for the actual meat. That being said, I still see at least 1 thing there I would eat, but the menu does not sound nearly as good as the old one did to me.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #60
MadisonsMomma
Earning My Ears

I might have to look for a breakfast reservation...I wouldn't eat any of that.
MadisonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: