Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
erineab
Mouseketeer

Undercover Tourist Tickets and Price Bridging

I have read through the "Everything About WDW Tickets" sticky, but I just want to clarify that I am understanding this correctly.
I am looking to buy my tickets through Undercover Tourist. I expect that we will need 7 day base tickets for our upcoming trip (we only have 5 park days planned currently but would like some flexibility to go to the parks for fireworks or Fantasmic, even on our "pool" days).
I'm wondering if we are further ahead to just purchase the 5 day MYW tix from UT (at a savings of 16.00 off the gate price) instead of buying the 7 day MYW (which is only a 6.00 savings). If we are not penalized for price bridging, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a 5 day ticket and price bridge once we have used the tickets?
Has anyone had any recent experience with price bridging? There was a thread a few weeks ago about someone who tried to price bridge to an annual pass, but was only given credit for what was paid for the original ticket (the discounted value, rather than the gate value).
I'm a little perplexed!! Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
erineab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineab View Post
I have read through the "Everything About WDW Tickets" sticky, but I just want to clarify that I am understanding this correctly.
I am looking to buy my tickets through Undercover Tourist. I expect that we will need 7 day base tickets for our upcoming trip (we only have 5 park days planned currently but would like some flexibility to go to the parks for fireworks or Fantasmic, even on our "pool" days).
I'm wondering if we are further ahead to just purchase the 5 day MYW tix from UT (at a savings of 16.00 off the gate price) instead of buying the 7 day MYW (which is only a 6.00 savings). If we are not penalized for price bridging, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a 5 day ticket and price bridge once we have used the tickets?
Has anyone had any recent experience with price bridging? There was a thread a few weeks ago about someone who tried to price bridge to an annual pass, but was only given credit for what was paid for the original ticket (the discounted value, rather than the gate value).
I'm a little perplexed!! Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
You should be able to get the current gate value of the ticket as credit toward an upgrade of any kind even if you purchased the ticket at a discount from UT provided you use the ticket at least once first. There are reports of CMs who don't know or are too lazy to apply the price bridging procedure--I had that problem once myself--but if you run into that problem just ask for a manager or, if all else fails, take your ticket back and try again at another time and/or place. Just make sure you know what you should be paying for the upgrade you want in advance.

Since the five-day ticket represents a larger savings over the gate price than the seven-day ticket, you would "lock-in" a larger savings by purchasing that ticket vs. the seven-day if you decide to upgrade. Also, if you're not sure if you want to add the days or not, it's smarter to buy fewer days, save the money (albeit not much when you're talking five versus seven days) and add one or more days only if and when you need to.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

I had no problem with upgrading my 6 day + hopper to an AP. I just verified with the CM that was how he was going to do it, and I knew how much the price difference was.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

I was planning to do the same thing, but was wondering if there would be any changes/trouble to do this after the price increase. With the phasing out of the non expiring tickets, wondered if there would be additional changes. We aren't going until June, so I am hesitant to buy now.
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
I was planning to do the same thing, but was wondering if there would be any changes/trouble to do this after the price increase. With the phasing out of the non expiring tickets, wondered if there would be additional changes. We aren't going until June, so I am hesitant to buy now.
Unfortunately nobody knows what the future holds as far as any of the current ticket policies. I assume that no tickets will lose existing entitlements, so existing non-expiring tickets will continue to be valid even if the non-expiring option is no longer available on new tickets. Whether or not they will continue price bridging or other current practices that aren't entitlements isn't clear. As long as they continue to support discount resellers it would seem that they might have to but they could make other changes to deal with those issues.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
I had no problem with upgrading my 6 day + hopper to an AP. I just verified with the CM that was how he was going to do it, and I knew how much the price difference was.
That's exactly what I did last visit, and It went very smooth. Shout out... I can honestly say the CMs at MK City Hall were outstanding In dealing with us!....(we can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to handle!)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

just bumping this up to ask again, if UT is still selling NE tickets, will Guest Relations honor them when upgrading to AP's??? Anyone done this recently??
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
just bumping this up to ask again, if UT is still selling NE tickets, will Guest Relations honor them when upgrading to AP's??? Anyone done this recently??
No, I haven't done this myself, but I can't imagine any scenario in which they would not allow you to price bridge and upgrade them, as long as you're within the rules (e.g. the 14-day limit). I would think that if they stopped honoring UT NE tickets, we would be hearing about it (a lot) on the DIS.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
cigar95
DIS weakest link

I upgraded two non-expiring tickets from UT just two weeks ago, and the bridging was handled correctly. One was upgraded to an AP, and the other to a ten-day ticket.

Non-expiring tickets will continue to be accepted for admission - however, it is conceivable that if such tickets are no longer offered for sale, they might no longer be "bridgeable", as there would no longer be a current price to bridge them to.

In the larger picture, nothing prevents WDW from removing bridging entirely. In that sense, it's a bit of a risk to buy from UT, as the price they paid WDW for the ticket is a LOT less than what you pay them for it.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

When tickets went out of style, as did Park Hopper Plus tickets in 2005, historically ...

1. Partially used ones could not be upgraded at all, but could be used as-is*.
2. Unused ones could be traded in and valued at roughly (usually a little less than) what you paid, or used as-is*.

* If they did not fit in the turnstiles, they would be exchanged at no charge for tickets that did fit and with equal (remaining) privileges;
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag

Just hope you get a knowledgable CM when you do the transaction. I was given a hard time at Epcot Guest Relations. He wanted to charge over $100 for three days cause he said my tickets were promotional tickets (bought them from UT). He finally checked with a manager and I was charged the correct price. This happened in November.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: