Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #451
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My son got his Honors College acceptance yesterday to West Virginia University. He was already accepted into their engineering department back in December. The Honors College was a separate admittance. I ended up paying the academic deposit and housing deposit for WVU. It's really my son's third choice school; however, if he is going to go there, I want him to have the benefit of living in the Honors College dorm (new, beautiful) which is first-come, first-serve as far as getting in. Since WVU is rolling admissions, many people already know they are going. Room selection starts on February 1st.

So, darn it, I just had to come off a few hundred dollars. Fortunately, if I notify them by May 1st, I will get all of the academic deposit money back and HALF of the housing deposit.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #452
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez View Post
My daughters BF is in Landis and she has so many friends in there and Gilchrist, those walkways between dorms get utilized constantly. AS far as her dorm location for freshman I don't think she would change a thing. I think the halllways etc in broward seem much nicer than in Gilchrist and Landis. Lovely hardwood carpet and just meticulous. I seriously couldnt believe it when we dropped her off in August, I was just blown away. If she doesnt get an RA position I think she is trying for Traditions first and then Ragans 2nd for the fall.
Traditions wasn't open when my son was in Ragan, but my cousins daughter loves it! Says it is very nice.

What meal plan did your DD have last semester and this one? We got my son the 150 black when he was in Ragan and he had leftover meals, used the Flexbucks. He used his kitchen at Ragan some. DD doesn't need unlimited and will eat off campus some. Probably most bfast in her room! I am thinking 150 or 180 black with the flexbucks. Any advice for a girl that doesn't stuff herself and likes to eat healthy most of the time?

DH me DS DD
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #453
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My son got his Honors College acceptance yesterday to West Virginia University. He was already accepted into their engineering department back in December. The Honors College was a separate admittance. I ended up paying the academic deposit and housing deposit for WVU. It's really my son's third choice school; however, if he is going to go there, I want him to have the benefit of living in the Honors College dorm (new, beautiful) which is first-come, first-serve as far as getting in. Since WVU is rolling admissions, many people already know they are going. Room selection starts on February 1st.

So, darn it, I just had to come off a few hundred dollars. Fortunately, if I notify them by May 1st, I will get all of the academic deposit money back and HALF of the housing deposit.
Congratulations! I sympathize with all those fees though, just went through that!

DH me DS DD
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #454
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Congratulations, Christine!

We can't any deposits until: 1) artistic acceptances are in and 2) financial packages are in. Sigh..I'm so ready to get these auditions going. The waiting is awful!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #455
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Congratulations, Christine! That is great for your DS. When do you find out about the other two (his 1st/2nd choice). We are still awaiting Amherst and Florida, but all of the others are set.

Has anyone particpated in a scholarship competition weekend? DD was invited to compete for Harold Alfond Foundation schloarship at Rollins College in a few weeks and wondering if others have been through a similar process to see what to expect.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #456
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Congratulations, Christine! That is great for your DS. When do you find out about the other two (his 1st/2nd choice). We are still awaiting Amherst and Florida, but all of the others are set.

Has anyone particpated in a scholarship competition weekend? DD was invited to compete for Harold Alfond Foundation schloarship at Rollins College in a few weeks and wondering if others have been through a similar process to see what to expect.
My daughter did! It was a small private school in another state. She just did it a week ago. She flew up there herself so I can't give direct experience. They had already offered her their top scholarship that they award to honor's students. This competition awarded one free ride, one full tuition for one year, plus a dozen plus other scholarships based on many different criteria which awarded from $30,000 down to $500. She won two more scholarships, but the school is just too expensive even with all the money she won.

She said they did one on one interviews, small group interviews, and then they had a dinner where each participant had to speak. They didn't give her anything up front to prepare for so she went in cold. Although we both knew that there was a 99.9% chance that she would not attend this school, they paid for her to go up there so we felt it would be a great learning experience for her. She enjoyed her time up there and felt it was worthwhile. Also, the school didn't end up appealing to her as much as she remembered from when we used to live there. Plus, she discovered she really isn't a cold weather type person anymore.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #457
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

The waiting for financial aid to come through is KILLING my son! And I'm antsy about it too! We really can't decide until we see some numbers. C'mon March!!! (we haven't put any deposits down yet- although the private school will refund us if we bale by May 1. The state school won't refund anything, so we won't send a deposit in to that one until we are absolutely certain).
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #458
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
My daughter did! It was a small private school in another state. She just did it a week ago. She flew up there herself so I can't give direct experience. They had already offered her their top scholarship that they award to honor's students. This competition awarded one free ride, one full tuition for one year, plus a dozen plus other scholarships based on many different criteria which awarded from $30,000 down to $500. She won two more scholarships, but the school is just too expensive even with all the money she won. .
GREAT info ... thanks so much for sharing LisaR! I am thinking certainly a good experience for her to go through, no matter the outcome.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #459
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
My dd was accepted Early Decision. We did the early read and they came up with the money we needed to send her there. She is thrilled beyond belief. She will be majoring in Dance and English. Any suggestions on the dorms? She is thinking of Walz and Brown.

She had applied to Ithaca (accepted early action), Binghamton, (early action - will hear this week) Purchase, Geneseo, and University of Richmond. I know we have to decline all those, but she still wants to know if she was accepted or not lol.
Lovethatmouse: Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful you are not in a holding period any longer. My dd is in Walz and that is the "best" freshmen dorm, according to my dd. It is also air conditioned and I can tell you VERY, VERY, VERY clean, any time I have been there, and that is what my dd and her friends say too. The dorm selection goes by first come first serve and the ED kids are mostly all in Walz since they get first preference. We made sure we sent in deposits right away when dorm selection was concerned (your dd doesn't need to choose a roommate at that time).

My dd made very close friends and my dd enjoys being around fun but smart students. The friends I have met (one from DC stayed over during the break and I have met others Family Weekend and breaks) are all very, very nice.
My dd was on a FB page last year that was made for all the 'Berg kids that were accepted/deposited and they met in the city a couple of times before they started school so they "knew" each other before the first day.

Congratulations and PM me with any questions since this is the first I've been on this thread since I posted in November.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #460
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Thought I'd bump us back up with some good news: my DD finally has her first artistic acceptance! We visited Coastal Carolina this weekend where she did her interview/portfolio review. On Monday she received word of her acceptance. She is beyond thrilled! She really, really loves CCU. It is a truly up and coming theatre program with great talent and a terrific faculty. I'm trying to keep her grounded, though, because she has many more auditions and visits to do. Plus, no decisions can be made until all financial packages are in. I will say, though, that I would be very happy if she ends up a Chanticleer.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #461
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Thought I'd bump us back up with some good news: my DD finally has her first artistic acceptance! We visited Coastal Carolina this weekend where she did her interview/portfolio review. On Monday she received word of her acceptance. She is beyond thrilled! She really, really loves CCU. It is a truly up and coming theatre program with great talent and a terrific faculty. I'm trying to keep her grounded, though, because she has many more auditions and visits to do. Plus, no decisions can be made until all financial packages are in. I will say, though, that I would be very happy if she ends up a Chanticleer.
Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity! (and not a bad place to have go visit).
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #462
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Our son got accepted into the one and only school he applied to, Wake Forest. He was very much like his older sister (she graduates from Cornell this spring): both had their hearts set on one school and one school only. Of course now that he is going off to school his sister is coming home for graduate school (and to work and pay off some student loans!)

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #463
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Lovethatmouse: Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful you are not in a holding period any longer. My dd is in Walz and that is the "best" freshmen dorm, according to my dd. It is also air conditioned and I can tell you VERY, VERY, VERY clean, any time I have been there, and that is what my dd and her friends say too. The dorm selection goes by first come first serve and the ED kids are mostly all in Walz since they get first preference. We made sure we sent in deposits right away when dorm selection was concerned (your dd doesn't need to choose a roommate at that time).

My dd made very close friends and my dd enjoys being around fun but smart students. The friends I have met (one from DC stayed over during the break and I have met others Family Weekend and breaks) are all very, very nice.
My dd was on a FB page last year that was made for all the 'Berg kids that were accepted/deposited and they met in the city a couple of times before they started school so they "knew" each other before the first day.

Congratulations and PM me with any questions since this is the first I've been on this thread since I posted in November.
Thanks! We are very excited. I think Walz will win out over Brown, but we are going there in a few weeks to check them both out. Unfortunately we had prior plans that cannot be changed so we can't go to Accepted Students Day. I called them and they said no problem, just let them know when we will be in town and they will show her around. She did join a FB page for class of 2017 and hopefully will get to know some kids before school starts. I'm going to PM you with some questions - it's so much to take in!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #464
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Congrats to those whose kids have been accepted so far. It must be a great feeling.

We have two acceptances but not exactly where DS wants to go so we are still waiting on a few more. I'm guessing it will all be happening within the next month or so.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #465
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

My daughter got the smallest meal plan with the most flex bucks. I think for someone in a dorm where you need a meal plan but trying to eat healthy that is a good way to go. If she winds up in Traditions or Ragans she won't get a meal plan. She lost weight the summer before college and has lost another 15 pounds since shes been there. She did have weight to lose and she looks amazing. She is eating well but making healthy choices and being diligent about portion control. I think all the walking they do really helps too.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: