Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Peanut
Mouseketeer

I will always choose on site over off site if I can afford it. So, with that being said, I would choose CR or Poly. I do love the BC area though. But since there are kids in your group, CR or Poly would probably work out better. I haven't stayed at CR before, but I' ve always wanted a tower room. I love the idea of not having to leave the building to get on the monorail!! I have stayed at Poly before and it was great! We were in the building closest to the TTC. Took about a minute to walk there! It was wonderful!
Pop Oct '04, CBR Oct '06, CSR Dec '07, POR Nov '08, ASMu Mar '13, POFQ Dec '14
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
AprilJ26
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great advice!

For those who have stayed at CR or Poly, how was the transportation to the parks? I know this can vary, but I want to know your experience. I'm assuming it was fine to MK and Epcot because of the monorail. BUT, was the monorail packed with bottlenecked lines at MK closing time? I know the one time we stayed offsite, the biggest headache was the lines leading to the monorail or ferry after MK closed. Is it like that for the resort monorails? What about busses to AK and HS? Were they PACKED all of the time or just sometimes? Just curious. Trying to make this decision is stressing me out! Haha!
AprilJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
allthingsmickey
Earning My Ears

The monorails will be packed after MK closing, even the resort ones as the savvy travelers know that the resort monorail stops at TTC center as well. So that is a benefit of staying at CR.

Of course from Poly, you can walk straight to the TTC to hop on the Epcot Monorail and you are only 2 stops from MK on the resort monorail. From CR, you take the resort monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail.

We don't usually make it until after closing at MK with a small child, plus if you are staying at the Poly, you can watch wishes from the beach while enjoying a Dole Whip. So much nicer than fighting the crowds in MK.

At the CR, they have an observation area to watch wishes as well, it's just not as nice as watching on the beach at the Poly or from the Marina at the GF.

We never had really crowded busses to the other parks from either the Poly or CR, but lately we've been driving to DHS and AK since we usually drive to WDW anyway. Our car is there and then we know we won't have to wait on a bus. The self parking at both the Poly and the CR are really convenient.
allthingsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilJ26 View Post

For those who have stayed at CR or Poly, how was the transportation to the parks? I know this can vary, but I want to know your experience. I'm assuming it was fine to MK and Epcot because of the monorail. BUT, was the monorail packed with bottlenecked lines at MK closing time? I know the one time we stayed offsite, the biggest headache was the lines leading to the monorail or ferry after MK closed. Is it like that for the resort monorails? What about busses to AK and HS? Were they PACKED all of the time or just sometimes? Just curious. Trying to make this decision is stressing me out! Haha!
If you're going with one room, I would advise staying at the Contemporary. You can walk back after Wishes, which is a huge help with the transportation issue.

We were there in March (busy spring break time) and didn't have noticeable issues with transportation to any of the parks.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
bnk1120
Forget filet and champagne. Give me chicken wings and beer!

OP- you asked about transportation from Poly and CSr, have you ruled out BC? I love the BC, but have had nothing but problems with busses there. I would go with CR. Stayed at BLT this summer and the walk to MK and monorail access were amazing.

Counting down to February!

Aulani in August 2015
bnk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
AprilJ26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk1120 View Post
OP- you asked about transportation from Poly and CSr, have you ruled out BC? I love the BC, but have had nothing but problems with busses there. I would go with CR. Stayed at BLT this summer and the walk to MK and monorail access were amazing.
We haven't completely ruled out BC, but I've read several reports about the bus service being not so great because it shares with other Epcot resorts. Being a walk or boat ride away from 2 parks might make it worth it, though. We're still looking and resort photos and getting all the info we can. I'm a huge planner. I did find out that CSR has availability for 5 nights if we come a day earlier than we had planned, so that might be another option if we decide we need to be in separate rooms. We really loved our stay at CSR in 2011. But I am really wanting to try a Deluxe, and Wishes from the beach at Poly sounds fabulous! Guess I better wait and see the damage after we get our income taxes done this weekend.
AprilJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilJ26 View Post

We have stayed at poly and taken the monorail back to the resort. The key is that instead of taking the boat usually is pretty quick.

The resort monorails are not as bad as the express to the TTC.
I remember we used to take the resort monorails to the TTC since it stops there as well. Or we would get off at poly and then just walk to the TTC or to our car etc.

Sometimes even if we didn't stay at poly we would take the boat to poly or resort monorail, then get off and take the bus to DTD. Then after DTD we would take the bus back to whatever resort we were staying.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: