Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
pandanasbearz
Earning My Ears

Alcohol on Med cruise?

Hi everyone!

"So basically I'm booked on my 1st DCL cruise on August the 24th and since I am 18 and have read the FAQ on the disney cruise web stating:

The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage waiver in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the waivers upon check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice."

Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to make sure since I study in England, I'm allowed to drink at 18 so I could have a little fun on board

Thanks in advance!
pandanasbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandanasbearz View Post
Hi everyone!

"So basically I'm booked on my 1st DCL cruise on August the 24th and since I am 18 and have read the FAQ on the disney cruise web stating:

The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage waiver in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the waivers upon check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice."

Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to make sure since I study in England, I'm allowed to drink at 18 so I could have a little fun on board

Thanks in advance!
Are your parents/guardian sailing with you and willing to sign the form? That is the question. And, since it says the policy can change at any time I would call DCL and ask if the policy is still in effect. They don't always update the website quickly if policy happens to change.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

2 key points - first, assuming you are on the Magic Mediterranean cruise on Aug. 24th. If you're cruising the Caribbean, it doesn't matter where you study. Second, as PP pointed out, your parents would need to be cruising with you to sign the waiver. An 18-yr-old can cruise without parents, but if you want the waiver you need your parents to be there as well.

There are plenty of ways to "have a little fun onboard" without drinking alcohol.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
pandanasbearz
Earning My Ears

Yes my parents are cruising with me. Since I cant go into vibe since the policy changed I'm still at a loss....

I know there's club 18-21 but still no dedicated space
pandanasbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Yes my parents are cruising with me. Since I cant go into vibe since the policy changed I'm still at a loss....

I know there's club 18-21 but still no dedicated space
Your dedicated space is the Quiet Cove pool!!!

Signing the authority makes it real easy ... my nephew was 18 on his last Med cruise with DCL and his mum just signed it. He's a responsible drinker and only actually had a few pints throughout the whole week.

Don't forget you can take your own onboard, so pop to Tesco before you pack .. or, grab something at Barca port (there's a little shop inside selling spirits and beer).
All alcohol must be in your hand luggage though, so if you pack it in your hold luggage for the flight, you'd then need to transfer it to your hand luggage before boarding.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
I didn't know this! Thanks for posting
My DS is 19 and we will be sure to sign the waiver for him
The sailaway drink is delicious and usually not very strong, so after you get your waiver signed have one of those.

I don't recommend binge drinking as not only does it make you look like an idiot it causes doubt as to whether the waiver was a good idea in the first place (and you'll have a hard time getting the trust back let alone your drinking waiver from DCL). Don't be that guy !!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

oh and just FYI, I know there was a Wii game station in one of the adult lounges the last time we sailed the Magic as my DH played wii bowling with some people we met there.
Don't know if it is still there but that looks like something the 18-20 year old age group might like to pass the time away in between ports.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Your dedicated space is the Quiet Cove pool!!!

Don't forget you can take your own onboard, so pop to Tesco before you pack .. or, grab something at Barca port (there's a little shop inside selling spirits and beer).
Bats, you are always so helpful. Didn't know about the Barca port convenience store.

Is there a good wine shop somewhere in the center of town? Or do supermarkets in Barcelona carry a wide selection?

I asked on my Meet thread but got no responses.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Bats, you are always so helpful. Didn't know about the Barca port convenience store.

Is there a good wine shop somewhere in the center of town? Or do supermarkets in Barcelona carry a wide selection?

I asked on my Meet thread but got no responses.

When in the Port of Barcelona for a DCL cruise in 2010, there was a shop in the port that sold wine. We picked up several very good wines there.
DCL Repeaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Where is the best place in Barcelona to buy liquor at a good price? We are flying from the US to Barcelona a few days pre cruise; is there a duty free shop in the arrival area when we land, and if so is that our best bet? If not, where in the city is the best place to buy vodka/rum at decent prices?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The policy you quoted was in effect on the 2011 Med cruises. As noted, policies are subject to change at any time.

I certainly hope that you can have "a little fun" without needing to use brain altering chemicals to do so.

The 18-21 group will meet nightly at 10 or 10:30 with a CM; the most important night is the first one. What will happen from there is totally up to the group. If you want to have activities scheduled, let the CMs know--this can include games and crafts in Diversions, games on the sports deck, etc. Many of the activities that the teens do can be scheduled for the 18-21s if you tell the CM that you want them. If the group just sits there, the CM will schedule a couple of lunches and that's it.

Obviously, all adult activities are open to you. Often the 18-21s wander over to Rockin Bar D after their meeting in Diversions.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Where is the best place in Barcelona to buy liquor at a good price? We are flying from the US to Barcelona a few days pre cruise; is there a duty free shop in the arrival area when we land, and if so is that our best bet? If not, where in the city is the best place to buy vodka/rum at decent prices?
I dunno about Barcelona shops, but if you wanna do Duty Free my opinion is to just buy it as you are departing and the airline gives it to you as you board since you're not allowed to carry it through anymore.

You pick it up as you enter the gangway.

In my experience, most European cities DO NOT have a duty free shop accessible when you land. In fact, most of the time I don't even have to go through immigration since the hours are so limited. I've landed in Italy and France a few times very early or very late and walked right out the door of the airport. All shops are closed. No immigration booth.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

This will make the trip a little more interesting. My son indicated that he wanted to try some of the wines in France and Italy as he knows this is a once in a lifetime trip. (Hopefully not, but at least he is very appreciative) He will turn 19 during the over night in Venice. He looked up the drinking age as he has been with us when we have visited winerys in the past and he tries the different juices. He would like to actually taste what they have and asked if we would be alright with that. He loves to cook and is interested in pairings of food with the wine. My DW and I told him, yes on land, when he is with us. But, the boat????

I'll have to think about this. He leaves for college when we return, and it would be nice to have him experience that drinking is not an end all to be all. Take the forbidden fruit aspect out of the equation.

Hmm, I'm going to have to process this further. That is, if the policy is still in place.

Thank you for the information.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
This will make the trip a little more interesting. My son indicated that he wanted to try some of the wines in France and Italy as he knows this is a once in a lifetime trip. (Hopefully not, but at least he is very appreciative) He will turn 19 during the over night in Venice. He looked up the drinking age as he has been with us when we have visited winerys in the past and he tries the different juices. He would like to actually taste what they have and asked if we would be alright with that. He loves to cook and is interested in pairings of food with the wine. My DW and I told him, yes on land, when he is with us. But, the boat????

I'll have to think about this. He leaves for college when we return, and it would be nice to have him experience that drinking is not an end all to be all. Take the forbidden fruit aspect out of the equation.

Hmm, I'm going to have to process this further. That is, if the policy is still in place.

I like the fact that if this policy is in place I can offer my son a sip of my wine at dinner.
I also think it depends on the individual young adult. Some can handle it and some can't.
My DS is a freshman in college and he says that he has a hard time socializing with the kids who's only goal is to find some alcohol. Not his thing.
He might not even want any alcohol on the cruise but the waiver allows him the option to try a drink if he later decides he wants to
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post

I think it's a great idea for him to try it. Good for you for being open minded. Children in Europe grow up with table wine, etc. I have a good friend who is American but grew up in Italy...according to him there's not much binge drinking there and wine drinking really isn't that big a deal.

I think that anything in moderation is fine. Especially if we're talking about 18-19 YO who is trying wines for purposes of understanding the food. It's not hard liquor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: