Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #1036
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Thoughts on Dining – Table Service Part 2

The Fountain

This restaurant is in the Dolphin, you can’t miss it if you enter the Dolphin coming from the parks, it is just to the left of the escalator which takes you up to the main lobby. It is a modern take on a traditional soda fountain, so similar to Beaches & Cream. However, it has a much larger menu. We went there for dinner one evening – around 7:30 pm and were seated immediately without a wait. I ordered a caesar’s salad and Katharina had a sandwich if I remember correctly. The food was really good and both our portions were very large, I think we could have split just one entrée between the two of us and it would have been plenty of food. One great thing about this restaurant is that it offers a discount for DVC members of 20%, so it becomes a very reasonable option for a table service meal at WDW.

Fresh

Another restaurant in the Dolphin, this is a bit hidden – kind of behind The Fountain. We had a late breakfast here on our last day. It was a very nice buffet with excellent bacon (the best I ever had on Disney property) and the name of the restaurant comes from the fact than many things are being made to order. You could get pancakes, French toast, omelettes, all kind of eggs just as you wanted them. They also had a selection of smoothies made from different fruits and vegetables which were fun to try. I really enjoyed the meal there and think it is a great option for anyone staying at an Epcot resort area resort! It was an excellent buffet and was a good value, too.

Olivia’s

This was one of the places Katharina came up with that never was on my radar. But once I looked at it, I could see the appeal. It just seems so American – an American friend of mine said that it was nothing more than a glorified coffee shop. But I guess, if you are European, that appeals to you!

We both agreed that we liked the look of the lunch menu better, but breakfast worked much better for us. The plan was to eat breakfast there and then continue to Typhoon Lagoon as that park is not very far from OKW. In theory that worked fine, but this was the one time we had really bad bus karma on this trip and we waited for ages for a bus to TL/DTD.

Back to the breakfast. We arrived without an ADR, but that was no problem at all. The restaurant has a very light feeling and we thought that it had a very friendly vibe. We were seated in a booth along the wall and I got the impression that a number of the people having breakfast there were kind of “regulars” as they appeared to know the wait staff. I guess some might have been DVC owners who have owned there since the beginning so have many years of vacations there already.

I had the pancakes with pecans and bacon – I just love pancakes and we don’t have them here in Germany (our pancakes are different and not a breakfast food). I know how to make them myself, but still, they are something I just love to get for breakfast when I am in the US! Katharina had the eggs benedict which came with a key lime hollandaise. The sauce had a very distinct citrus flavour which I thought was too die for! Lucky for me Katharina was not able to finish her dish and left the rest for me! I think I liked it better than she did…

Overall, I really enjoyed eating here very much! We also checked out OKW another day on our way to DTD and really liked what we saw. I think I would not enjoy staying here if I did not have a car as the bus taking ages for the tour around the resort would drive me crazy if I had to take it every day. But otherwise it looks so relaxing and far away from everything. I am sure that I will stay there one day – but I guess I might be back for a meal at Olivia’s before then!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #1037
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I really love Oliva's. They have some multigrain bread that is fantastic. Such a good breakfast and I love the laid back feeling.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1038
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I have to agree the eggs benedict at Olivias are AWESOME!!! I was very pleased with the restaurant !!We took a group there once and the chef was increduble for our special diets. Made special pancakes , customized the potatoes etc !!We were really impressed !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #1039
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
We do have meatloaf in Germany as well, it is called Hackbraten. Which kind of means "ground meat roast". And if you put hard boiled eggs inside, it would be called "fake rabbit". Don't ask why!!!

Some distant memory has me thinking my mom use to put boiled eggs in our meatloaf??? But not all the time....

Quote:
I had the pancakes with pecans and bacon – I just love pancakes and we don’t have them here in Germany (our pancakes are different and not a breakfast food)
I LOVE pancakes too... I could eat them everyday but then I'd probably gain 50 pounds... I love dipping my bacon or sausage in the maple syrup too... YUM..

Hmmm should I have DD bring you a box of pancake mix when she visits??? All you need to do is add Oil, Eggs, Water....

Nice reviews Magdalene... Thanks for sharing..
Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #1040
marvali
DIS Veteran

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Katharina!

Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine ganz besondere und wunderbare Tage mein Freund, gefüllt mit allem, was Sie wollen, um es perfekt!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #1041
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post

Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine ganz besondere und wunderbare Tage mein Freund, gefüllt mit allem, was Sie wollen, um es perfekt!
Wow Marv you are bi lingual!! Well at least I think you areCould be all giberish, but sure looks good although I speak enough to know you are wishing Katarina a Happy Birthday and that it is perfect !!! I second those emotions Katarina
[/B][/URL]
[
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #1042
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wow Marv you are bi lingual!! Well at least I think you areCould be all giberish, but sure looks good although I speak enough to know you are wishing Katarina a Happy Birthday and that it is perfect !!! I second those emotions Katarina
Thank you very much! I had a wonderful birthday: Magdalene was visiting for the weekend and we had High Tea at one of Berlin's very posh hotels yesterday

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #1043
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Happy Birthday Katharina! Hope you had a wonderful day!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1044
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

A bit late (again!), but HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHARINA! I hope you had a wonderful day!

I've been meaning to try some more of the Swolphin restaurants, I just added Fresh and The Fountain to my "WDW List".

We really enjoyed Olivia's for breakfast as well, that whole resort just has this lovely laid-back feeling.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #1045
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Thank you very much! I had a wonderful birthday: Magdalene was visiting for the weekend and we had High Tea at one of Berlin's very posh hotels yesterday
High Tea sounds wonderful
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #1046
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I really love Oliva's. They have some multigrain bread that is fantastic. Such a good breakfast and I love the laid back feeling.

Jill in CO
We did not get any bread as we were there for breakfast. I am campaigning for a meal at Olivias for my next trip, but my friend is not so convinced.

Quote:
I have to agree the eggs benedict at Olivias are AWESOME!!! I was very pleased with the restaurant !!We took a group there once and the chef was increduble for our special diets. Made special pancakes , customized the potatoes etc !!We were really impressed !!!
I think it is a place that has a very homely atmosphere, like the neighbourhood family favourite. That shows in the whole attitude there, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
I LOVE pancakes too... I could eat them everyday but then I'd probably gain 50 pounds... I love dipping my bacon or sausage in the maple syrup too... YUM..

Hmmm should I have DD bring you a box of pancake mix when she visits??? All you need to do is add Oil, Eggs, Water....

Nice reviews Magdalene... Thanks for sharing..
Yes, I better stay away from eating pancakes everyday - even though I guess the breakfasts on the cruise will be fattening anyway, whether they include pancakes or not!

Thanks for the offer of the pancake mix, but I managed to make very nice pancakes with just the basic ingredients in the past. I think one could even buy pancake mix in the "foreign specialties" section at higher end supermarkets.

But I might contact you about some spices between now and June!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
A bit late (again!), but HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHARINA! I hope you had a wonderful day!

I've been meaning to try some more of the Swolphin restaurants, I just added Fresh and The Fountain to my "WDW List".

We really enjoyed Olivia's for breakfast as well, that whole resort just has this lovely laid-back feeling.
I never thought I would like OKW - but we were there twice on that last trip and both really liked it. It just seems so peaceful! When I was at DLP last spring, we stayed at the Marriott Vacation Village at DLP (it is actually on the grounds where the DLP DVC was supposed to be built, but when DLP was struggling so much, they sold the land off to Marriott) and it has a very similar vibe, but French country instead of Florida island. It was so wonderful there!

And, yes, make sure to try the Swolphin restaurants! I thought they were great and came at a slightly lower price point as the comparable Disney places. And they give you a very nice DVC discount! We were not too impressed with the food options at Picabu though, but we did not try anything, just weren't impressed with the menu, but that might have been just that we wanted something different from what they had at that time.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #1047
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
High Tea sounds wonderful
It was quite wonderful! I uploaded a few pictures to share.

Here is the the birthday girl perusing the menu - and deciding that we would go for the one that included a glass of fancy sparkling wine:

The tea included tea obviously, we even got free refills and could have chosen a different type of tea. We were served three courses on a three tiered platter thing. The next picture is of our first course - sandwiches, already served on my plate. They advertise this tea as something special as it is being served on Meissen china. This is one of Germany's oldest and most prestigious china manufacturers. I guess one plate was many times what we paid for our tea!!!

And then I also took some pictures of the other two courses as they were served. First the scones:

Those were delicious and very buttery (which was quite unusual) and we got a generous portion of clotted cream to go with it! Usually I find that outside of England they tend to be far too economical with it!

And then finally the cake course: Raisin bread, raspberry tarts and white chocolate truffles:

I am quite impressed with the quality of these pictures. I used the food setting on my new camera for these and despite very adverse lighting and not using the flash, the pictures turned out quite ok, only slightly blurry. I guess I need to practice a little bit more before my next trip!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #1048
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Conclusion and Outlook:

So that brings us to the end of this TR. All in all it was a wonderful trip with my sister and definitely worthy for a 40th birthday celebration.

The trip was also rather different from my previous trips to WDW. Since I now know that I will be back to make use of my DVC I was less concerned with seeing everything (also since there weren’t really that many new things built by Disney and I knew the old things well enough by now). I also did not have the pressure of making sure that my sister had a really fabulous first trip to WDW.

Meeting people I had gotten to known through the internet certainly added a new layer to the trip. I had done it in the past, but we really got to spend quite some time with Marv and Jonathan as well as our other friends whom we had dinner with at Tchoup Chop. This was different from just a brief meet in the park or at the resort. It was really great and I think Katharina and I made some very good new friends!!

It’s also the first time that I left the “Disney bubble” while staying at WDW. I have had trips that incorporated other parts of Florida, but never any of the other sights in Orlando. I really liked that and I think in the future I will venture out more while I am at WDW.

I am really happy with the choice of my home resort for DVC. I did something which on the DVC board is always something people advise against: I bought sight unseen. I had visited the Boardwalk, but never stayed there, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out well! I truly love the resort and would be happy to stay there on many more trips. But I also want to try so many of the other DVC resorts, so who knows when my next stay at the Boardwalk will be…

I am not so sure whether I like the fall for a WDW trip as much as I tought I would. The many MNSSHPs cause the MK to close early on so many nights that it makes it difficult to schedule evenings there to see the fireworks. I am also not sure I would want to pay for party tickets every time I am there in the fall. I also found the Food & Wine festival much less to my liking than I expected. I mentioned it before that I thought that it cluttered the World Showcase. And I also think that while I enjoy good food, I also enjoy the atmosphere it is presented in. Having difficulty finding a place to eat your tasting from a paper plate with plastic cutlery is not very atmospheric for me.

So, since after the 2010 trip I decided no more trips in winter as it might be too cold and I know that summer is definitely to warm and humid for me – this leaves spring. I really hope that this will be my perfect time for WDW! So this is the plan for this year. Unfortunately, that trip will be without my wonderful sister. But we both hope that we get her to return to WDW sooner than later – somehow!!

As for the new trip: you won’t see a PTR – my travel companion does not like the idea of our travel plan details being publicly known beforehand. But you will be able to find a trip report once I am back. I will be travelling in late spring with a friend who lives in Southern Florida and the trip will consist of three elements: a stay at AKL Jambo House – I splurged and got us a one bedroom villa -, a cruise on the Disney Wonder from Miami and some time in Southern Florida – I am counting on getting in some beach time there! All in all it will be nearly three weeks, so I have no idea how long that TR is going to take me to write!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #1049
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great conclusion to your TR!!! I love October in Disney!!I do however agree that the F & W clutters up the World and makes Epcot super busy!!! I think I would enjoy it if by myself and NOT wi9th8 Individuals !!

The High Tea looked splendid !!
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #1050
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Great wrap up to the TR.

I totally agree on the DVC thing and being able to really slow down after I purchased.

I like F&W but have also been enough times to know when to avoid it becaus of the crowds. I like the variety and only being committed to a small portion so if I don't like it I have not blown a whole meal price on it.

Of course I still need to work out the whole - what is in this question before this year. I think I will email when the food and wine website comes up and try to get out in front of it. I know last year they had a special email to inquire about allergies but I never got around to it.
I just really need to know what is in it and then I can plan.

Have a blast on your next adventure. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: