Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Cinderella bothers me the most. She just looks like Barbie dressed up as Cinderella. I don't care for how they thinned out all their faces, it makes them look older to me. And I know it's silly, but I hate Snow White's bow on the side instead of on top of her head.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I assume that they wanted children to better connect with them instead of just thinking of them as characters out of films that their great (great great?) grandmothers watched.
Those pincurl waves on the new princesses look like the ones we had in 1960. The older straighter hair is more contemporary unless Disney knows that hair styles are about to get curlier.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I assume that they wanted children to better connect with them instead of just thinking of them as characters out of films that their great (great great?) grandmothers watched.
Aww c'mon now, great grandmothers? I saw Little Mermaid and Beauty as a kid and I only have a 7 year old. But seriously I think the changes are a little strange. They slightly changed the face shape, made their eyes way bigger and gave them button noses, then changed the hair slightly. Either way looks "ok" I guess, but why change it from the movie?

11/14 OKW ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Did you see Snow White and Cinderella when they originally made their theater debuts?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
dadddio
DIS Veteran

It occurs to me that one thing that they are doing with this is bringing all princesses into the same animation style. This is important if they are to cross over and appear together. Watching Sophia, again, made me think of this.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle View Post

VS

They all look like they used Taylor Swift's eye makeup artist.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Quote:
It occurs to me that one thing that they are doing with this is bringing all princesses into the same animation style. This is important if they are to cross over and appear together. Watching Sophia, again, made me think of this.

Why are the kids in 2013 dumber than all the kids that went before them that had to deal with different artistic styles?

Quote:
The original artists were employees who drew the characters as directed/approved by management. Their work is not sacrosanct.
This is the one of the most disgusting things I've seen written on these boards.

I'm shocked anyone would have ever considered the work of the 9 old men as simply the work of an employee.

They were and are artists.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
ToddS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The original artists were employees who drew the characters as directed/approved by management. Their work is not sacrosanct.
And while this may be technically true, it doesn't seem to detract from YoHo's point.
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo

Why are the kids in 2013 dumber than all the kids that went before them that had to deal with different artistic styles?

This is the one of the most disgusting things I've seen written on these boards.

I'm shocked anyone would have ever considered the work of the 9 old men as simply the work of an employee.

They were and are artists.
Wow. Overreact much?

Sure they were artists. That fact doesn't change my point in any way.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
YoHo

You let me know when the Mona Lisa gets updated to better connect with modern art viewers and we'll talk.

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo
You let me know when the Mona Lisa gets updated to better connect with modern art viewers and we'll talk.
That's a great analogy. This is why:

Someone could paint a new version of the Mona Lisa. Someone probably has. The mere fact that the new version existed would not change the original one in any way, however. Similarly, these updated characters don't change the original art in any way.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I think most of them look like they are modeling for Frederick's of Hollywood, especially the way their hair is styled.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
YoHo

I would have said VS.

None of them have a neck line low enough for Fredricks.

www.july171955.com

Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

They need a princess of Asian decent. (don't give me "mulan" she's not on par with Belle, Ariel, etc)

Way too many white/blonde princesses. I was thrilled with Princess and Frog and I was greatly disappointed when they came out with Tangled. Another white blonde woman? Seriously? I thought Princess & Frog indicated a new direction.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Quote:
That's a great analogy. This is why:

Someone could paint a new version of the Mona Lisa. Someone probably has. The mere fact that the new version existed would not change the original one in any way, however. Similarly, these updated characters don't change the original art in any way.
Except the Mona Lisa's image isn't used in a da Vinci theme park. If it were, and they decided to change all the current uses of the Mona Lisa to a more modern look, then you would have a good analogy.

And both instances would be equally wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: