Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post
I think dressing up is big thing for kids that age, a lot of the CM will recognize them and point it out making the whole experience that much better. I saw a kid in the Cars racing costume, and he was having a blast and a half. My daughter is already planning on bringing 3 princess dresses next time, she loved wearing hers this last trip. Some suggestions...

- Eat at Blue Bayou...aka eat at the Pirate Ride
- Photopass Plus...order this, buy him a signature and picture book for character greetings and then print out the pics of him and the characters for the book and ride photos are great
- Buy him an official Disney sketch from the Animators Studio in DCA and have it personalized...this is more of a special later versus a special now
- Let him go on the same ride again, and again, and again...you know the drill
- Let him build his own lightsaber
- Jedi Training, wear Disney Star Wars gear and jump up and down to get picked
Great ideas!

I'll have to see what I can come up with as far as something for him to "dress up" as... I have several new Disney shirts for him that he'll be able to wear, but I wonder if he would like to dress up as, say... Buzz or Jack Sparrow or someone else... Maybe I'll show him some youtube videos of kids dressed up at DL, and see what he thinks, without actually giving away what I'm doing.

I ordered Photopass+ last week; just waiting for it to arrive. Can't wait!

I actually just ordered an "official" Disneyland autograph book for him this morning. The Disney Store is having a B1G1 sale on plush today, so I ordered the ones that I needed for his big surprise wake up the day we go, and threw that in the cart as well. Now I just need to get a fatter sharpie that retracts (instead of the ones with lids) for the characters to sign with.

Where do you build your own lightsaber?

We are definitely planning to do the Jedi Training! We've got a star wars shirt already, and we're going to make a sign that can be folded up and stored in my purse until it's time for him to hold it up and jump up and down. Do you think a Disney Star Wars shirt will be better than the regular Star Wars shirt that we already have?
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
hope23
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 70

One of our favorite things to do is give each of the kids their own disposable camera so they can capture what they are interested in. We've gotten some great pictures from this... and it's interesting to see what things look like from their perspective and what they are drawn to. Always a favorite vacation activity.
hope23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope23 View Post
One of our favorite things to do is give each of the kids their own disposable camera so they can capture what they are interested in. We've gotten some great pictures from this... and it's interesting to see what things look like from their perspective and what they are drawn to. Always a favorite vacation activity.
This is on my list, too I've been on the lookout for a Disney-themed disposable. I came across a couple on Amazon, but they have pre-printed borders on the pictures that you take, which I'm not thrilled about. I may end up just realizing that I'm ridiculous and just get a regular old disposable
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Only on month until we leave! I'm getting so excited, it's hard for me to not tell him it's coming so soon! He knows we're going, but he has no idea when, and we've kind of hinted that it's happening later this year. I'm terrible at keeping secrets, so it's going to be huge if I can pull this off

One thing we're doing, that I hadn't thought of mentioning until I was reminded of it when posting on another thread, is that he is earning stickers for doing certain things like sleeping in his bed all night, keeping his room clean, etc. We're putting the stickers on a reward chart, and each sticker is worth ten cents. So he's earning a dollar for every ten stickers. Some things he does are worth one sticker (every day things like picking up his toys without having to be asked more than once), some things are worth more. For instance, he knows if he sleeps in his bed all night for an entire week, he'll get a bonus ten stickers (this is something he struggles with; he's a snuggler, and really just wants to come and get in bed with us, so an entire week of staying only in his bed would be a huge deal).

I have a Disney gift card with $10 on it already, so he'll get that if he earns $10 (he's up to $4 right now, with a month left to go), and if he earns more than that, I'll add to it before we leave.

He knows what he's earning money for, and he's super excited to have his own gift card to use to buy whatever he wants at DL. I think that moment when he gets to hand the gift card to the cashier is going to be really awesome for him
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Cactus girl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16

Starting when DD was very small, we would schedule a birthday party at the Plaza Inn. If you search for birthday parties on the disneyland site it lets you make a reservations. It's only $16.99/pp. You usually get your picture made with Mickey and Minnie (together), get to make an individual cake, have punch in a take home cup and enjoy the humor of Pat E Cake. It doesn't matter what time of the year we go, we just always celebrate someone's birthday. For us, it's also a nice break in the middle of the day. You can sometimes make day of reservations.

Another thing we love is the Discover the Magic family tour. At 4, your child may be a little young. I think our DD was 5 the first time we did it. However, it is super fun for the whole family.
Cactus girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
roobug
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDisneyMama View Post

One thing we're doing, that I hadn't thought of mentioning until I was reminded of it when posting on another thread, is that he is earning stickers for doing certain things like sleeping in his bed all night, keeping his room clean, etc. We're putting the stickers on a reward chart, and each sticker is worth ten cents. So he's earning a dollar for every ten stickers. Some things he does are worth one sticker (every day things like picking up his toys without having to be asked more than once), some things are worth more. For instance, he knows if he sleeps in his bed all night for an entire week, he'll get a bonus ten stickers (this is something he struggles with; he's a snuggler, and really just wants to come and get in bed with us, so an entire week of staying only in his bed would be a huge deal).

I have a Disney gift card with $10 on it already, so he'll get that if he earns $10 (he's up to $4 right now, with a month left to go), and if he earns more than that, I'll add to it before we leave.

He knows what he's earning money for, and he's super excited to have his own gift card to use to buy whatever he wants at DL. I think that moment when he gets to hand the gift card to the cashier is going to be really awesome for him
Love this. I'm doing this now with my boys. We've been trying to get them to take over cleaning the playroom - which is a disaster and I just presented them with the idea that if they clean up the playroom on their own they will get a 10.00 Disney gift card on top of what they have been doing extra for chores. It worked they are busy cleaning up right now. THank you for the ideasaved me a lot of work trying to clean up.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobug View Post
Love this. I'm doing this now with my boys. We've been trying to get them to take over cleaning the playroom - which is a disaster and I just presented them with the idea that if they clean up the playroom on their own they will get a 10.00 Disney gift card on top of what they have been doing extra for chores. It worked they are busy cleaning up right now. THank you for the ideasaved me a lot of work trying to clean up.
Glad I could help!
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows
 
ImarriedGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Do you know the way to San Jose? :) (CA that is)
Posts: 1,961

I haven't done this with my son, but a friend pays her kids' allowance in Disney Dollars for a couple months leading up to their annual trip. They then have their own spending money for in the parks and they love getting the Disney dollars.
__________________
~Bethany


Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
hootey
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greater Northwest
Posts: 584

Be sure to go to Toon Town and get plenty of pictures with Mickey, as well as the other characters that are there. We still have the first pictures of our children with Mickey hanging on the wall. They will be on the wall as long I am alive. :-)
hootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
I haven't done this with my son, but a friend pays her kids' allowance in Disney Dollars for a couple months leading up to their annual trip. They then have their own spending money for in the parks and they love getting the Disney dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootey View Post
Be sure to go to Toon Town and get plenty of pictures with Mickey, as well as the other characters that are there. We still have the first pictures of our children with Mickey hanging on the wall. They will be on the wall as long I am alive. :-)
Great ideas!
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Washington State
Posts: 1,560

Minnie Mouse visits our hotel room each night while the children are sleeping and leaves them each a small (very small!) gift wrapped in red paper with white polka dots. The children love unwrapping it and always are thrilled with their small gift. They've never felt the need to ask for "stuff" in Disneyland because they are happy with their gifts that Minnie picked out just for them.
__________________
plus age 10 and age 8
Disneyland 9/16-20 '08 & 9/13-18 '10 at the DI&S, DLH 9/10-17 '11 and the Grand 2/26-3/2 '13
Disney Wonder to Alaska 8/20-27 '12...Aulani 3/26-4/3 '14 heading BACK to Alaska on the Wonder! 8/24/15

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
Minnie Mouse visits our hotel room each night while the children are sleeping and leaves them each a small (very small!) gift wrapped in red paper with white polka dots. The children love unwrapping it and always are thrilled with their small gift. They've never felt the need to ask for "stuff" in Disneyland because they are happy with their gifts that Minnie picked out just for them.
That is super sweet Minnie is my favorite. I may just adopt a form of this!
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
tdhickey
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 518

Build your own lightsaber is at Star Trader (near Star Tours). It's reasonably priced and you can customize.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: