Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Many times and loved every stay. Great pools, lovely grounds, spacious rooms, many newly rehabbed.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
suz_cute
DIS Veteran

Stayed here 4 times, and we have enjoyed it very much. We wouldn't keep going back if we hadn't had such a good experience there.
suz_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Treehouse Villas and loved them. The pools at SSR were really nice and had good slides (according to my teens). My little ones loved the kids play area!! I loved the boat to DTD. The quick service restaurant was smaller than a regular food court, but it was good and the CMs were very friendly. It was especially beautiful at night. Overall, we had a great time there. We will go back there again in the future. Enjoy your trip.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

We've stayed in the main area of SSR 3 or 4 times and THV twice. Great stays each time. I love taking the boat ride to dinner in DTD. Beautiful grounds. Have fun.

I so agree that we wouldn't return if we didn't have nice stays.

kam1011, nice to hear that the SSR manager came to your rescue after your unfortunate off site stay.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we stayed at SSR last summer for 2 nights, for the first time. (we own there too.. just bought contract last spring.)

The pools were great. lots of games and entertainment
-- the bus stop was right in front of our room but we didnt use the busses. we were the first stop too.

DTD was close by as well as a bunch of other restaurants... there was grocery store near there too.

the employees at the check in were super friendly too.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #21
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

SSR is one of our favorite resorts.

We always like to stay in Congress Park because it's so close to the walkway to DTD.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at SSR 3 times and each time has been super. SSR is an immaculate resort, tremendous landscaping and related eye candy, and the pools are beautiful. I love the "dive-in movies" they offer in the summer, even if its a older cartoon.

We travel as a party of five, including one very young senior (my mom), and a party that size necessitates accommodations that only a few Disney resorts can support - and SSR is among them. We stay in a 2-bedroom villa with washer/dryer and full kitchen, and its almost like staying at home. We eat most breakfasts in-room (which saves at least a little coin) and either walk to Downtown Disney or ride the buses to the parks.

My only real problem with SSR is that the buses to/from the parks are inconsistent.

My family's only hiccup in those three prior visits to SSR was in our last visit (2011), and we had the misfortune of arriving on the *day* Disney was modifying its reservation system worldwide to accommodate its then-new Hawaii offering, and the computers were not happy. As a result, our check-in was a nightmare - we were sent to one room where our keys would not work, then to ANOTHER room that where the keys wouldn't work (again), and then to a THIRD room that was already occupied!!! Yikes!!! We had planned our arrival (we drove) to spend our first afternoon shopping in Downtown Disney, but it took three hours to get checked in, essentially wasting the afternoon. I wasn't very happy, esp. when they suggested I might not get my 2BR villa...and I told the cast member on very firm terms that wasn't an option, and that I expected to get what I had reserved/paid for.

Once the dust settled, and we were (finally) in a suitable room, the manager apologized profusely for the trouble and comped us for that night. Given some of the issues I've read here, I think others with better Disney savvy might suggest I let them off cheap, but oh, well....

Anyway, please understand that was *one* bad data point, and the rest of that vacation was superb, so I personally chalk that one up to "stuff happens." I do think I'll take advantage of early check-in for our next visit, however

We're going back for what's probably a final time this June (kids growing up, sniff, sniff), and we're booked for SSR, and looking forward to it immensely.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
dtauer
Mouseketeer

I agree with the other (most of them anyway) reports.

If you want to be completely Disney engulfed, and in the midst of the action, SSR isn't that resort. It's not close to the theme parks, and doesn't have the Disney theming many of the resorts have. That being said, that's also what we love about it.

When sitting at the pool, especially the quiet pools, it feels like you are a world away from the theme parks. The rooms are very quiet, and we think somewhat luxuriously furnished for a hotel room. Very peaceful and quiet throughout the resort.

However, from Congress Park, you are only a 5 minute walk from Downtown Disney and a bus ride from the theme parks.

Also, if you do want a more typical Disney food court or gift shop, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are a nice boat ride away.

For us, it's a great contrast, very relaxing and peaceful at the resort, but yet still a Disney resort and all of the conveniences and service that go with that. In addition, the nightime view of Downtown Disney across the lake is incredible. We love spending our evenings that aren't in a park, sitting at the Congress Park quiet pool and just gazing at the lights of Downtown Disney.
dtauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
Talli16
Earning My Ears

The new paddock pool is awesome. Great pool, play area for kids, slide, cs is good.
Talli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
henderkm
Mouseketeer

We stayed there twice and liked it. We were in the Springs and Congress Park facing DTD.

To me, there is a calming feeling walking the grounds. Our granddaughter enjoyed the Paddock Pool and could have spent the whole vacation there.

We cooked quick meals in our room most of the time so we didn't use the food court much. If you are going to use the food court often, you may want to request a room that's close.
henderkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #26
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.

One issue we have found out however since booking (way back last year) is that the Spa is closed now for refurb and will be throughout our entire stay. This has not pleased us as we knew there was good gym facililities there, and I also specifically wanted use of the spa, this was part of why we chose SS.

We are intending to request a room in CP so hope they can accomodate us on this. Fingers crosed.

I also thought it a little strange (or a lot strange!) that someone would go back to a place 4 times if it was so bad - maybe it was a mis-type?? :
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
yes and every stay, 4 of them, were not good.
I do wonder why you would keep going back??..this post does not sound honest...JMHO

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #28
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird View Post
You may want to check out the DVC boards. Our home resort is Saratoga Springs, and I love it. We've stayed there many times over the past 9 years, and it has grown to be a favorite.

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Thank you for diecting me here - I'm still new to this site and the masses of info available on here, it's great!! I had no idea this was here - cheers
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
macnodos
DIS FAN

Loved SSR, it is our home resort. Been to Disneyworld about fifteen times and only wished we bought into DVC sooner! SSR is our home resort for reasons of economics, was the cheapest per pt. at the time, $65. Have never looked back. We have also rented our points out twice since owning.

Great location, not necessarily for parents of very young children because of distance to MK. When there, we always request "The Springs" for the great location to all the amenities, food,pool, and check in. When going to DTD, it is a fifteen minute walk to Cirque. A leisurely walk through the golf course.

No reason to be worried, you will love your stay. Dining is also excellent at "The Turf Club"
macnodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

SSR is a very nice resort. We liked it so much we bought DVC there.
The reason you don't see a lot of comments about it here is (as Darren pointed out) it's not in the very heart of the action, and the theming isn't as "fantasy" oriented. It's also probably easier to book reservations at SSR due to the size and (less) demand. But that's not to say it is sub-standard in any way. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: