Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Nicolejean
Earning My Ears

If you could choose 5

What 5 restaurants would you choose for dinner?

3 children, 2 adults. My husband is a pretty bland eater. No dining plan.
Nicolejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Here are my suggestions:

-BOG lunch or dinner
-Via Napoli for the amazing pizza. If you want pasta, Tutto. If you wanna see Remy, then go to Chefs/France. All 3 restaurants are great.
-Crystal Palace or Tusker House breakfast. Both great!
-Plaza lunch, yummy food. Pretty cheap too!
-At Downtown Disney I normally suggest WGPE cause its heaven, but since youre paying OOP i'll suggest Earl of Sandwich. Its cheap (its a quick service). If you want a sit down restaurant thou, i'd suggest TRex. Very fun atmosphere, and yummy food.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

dad who would not like fancy foods.., children...
I would pick some buffets...that way the kids get their food without having to wait...plain dad can get just about anything he wants from the buffets..

Crystal palace...great food and the kids (any age) would enjoy it..

Biergarten....good food and music entertainment is awesome..

Hollywood and Vine buffet.. Fantasmic Pkg good choices..

O'Hana..good food and even kids would like it

T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe would entertain the kiddos too..

LTT...very traditional American Food...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Talli16
Earning My Ears

kouzzina, rose and crown, citricos, kona, ohana
Talli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talli16 View Post
kouzzina, rose and crown, citricos, kona, ohana
For a bland eater, I dont think these are good choices to be honest. Theyre not bad, but not great options in a case like this. But I guess it all depends on the type of food he likes.

I agree with the PP re: picking buffets. Thats a safe choice for everyone. But it can be pricey. Ordering from a menu is cheaper and usually better quality food.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I would start off with Sci-Fi at Hollywood Studios. Very run-of-the-mill food here with burgers. sandwiches, wings, and ribs, but I really like it. It is a family favorite for me, my husband, our daughter, my parents, and my sister. The theme in here is top notch and, at least in my opinion, the absolute best theming on property. It's very fun for the kids and adults.

Biergarten would also be a good choice. It is in the German pavilion at Epcot and is a buffet so it would be likely that everyone would find something that they like. The band makes for a very fun atmosphere where everyone is encouraged to get up and dance. I'm sure you children would love that. And, does your husband like beer? You can purchase it in a liter glass here. That's pretty fun. Make sure to try both the apple strudel and the Bavarian cheesecake as both are quite good.

Crystal Palace is a great choice at the Magic Kingdom. I would likely go for Breakfast, but any meal is good here. Also a buffet, so again, everyone can find something that they like. It is character dining with Winnie the Pooh and friends.

Garden Grill at Epcot might also be a good choice. It is all served family style so there is no getting up to get more food, but still all-you-can-eat. The food is very fresh as much of it is grown right there at The Land pavilion. You will have beef, fish, and turkey with various vegetables, a salad, rolls with homemmade maple butter, and a dessert. The kiddos get their own meal with chicken, macaroni and cheese, and a vegetable of some sort, but they are welcome to eat the adult food, as well. This is also character dining with Chip, Dale, Mickey, and Pluto and the set up is such that they will visit your table multiple times while you dine.

And finally, might I suggest 50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios? The menu consists of homecooking and is very good. But, the best part is all of the antics that go on. You sit at a table that looks like you are in a 1950's kitchen and your waitress is your mom/cousin/aunt. She will remind you to keep your elbows off the table and to eat all of your vegetables. As long as you have a good sense of humor, it is a good time. However, if you are the kind of person who doesn't enjoy these antics, this might not be the right place for you. Try the peanut butter and jelly shake or the smores!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

1. The Wave
2. FF
3. Il Mulino
4. Jiko
5. The Wave (oopps did I say that already )
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

1.) Any buffet. Choices, choices, choices.
2.) Monorail Resorts - Grand Floridian Cafe
3.) Boardwalk Resorts $$$ - Shula's Steakhouse (what's more bland than steak), BlueZoo (or a plain piece of grilled fish), Il Mulino (great Italian).
4.) Boardwalk $ - ESPN Zone and Big River Grill - burgers and wings.
5.) Parks - see #1

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons

2) The only sit-down restaurants, besides V&A, we patronize at WDW (in order)
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Via Napoli
Yatchmans steakhouse
Rainforest cafe
Il Mulino
Artist point

Outside of Epcot, we don't eat in the parks.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolejean View Post

What are you looking for in your meals? Something uniquely "Disney" in the experience? Delicious food? Fun atmosphere? Good value? How you answer these questions would definitely influence how my family would answer this question.

When we go to WDW, we are generally looking for things that we can't find at home or most other places where we travel. That said, our top 5 picks would be HDDR, 'Ohana (dinner), Via Napoli, Biergarten, and Cinderella's Royal Table (we haven't yet tried Be Our Guest, because we haven't been to WDW since it opened).

I have to add that for FOOD alone, the only one above that would make our list of top 5 would be Via Napoli. We have also had spectacular meals at Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Artist Point, Citricos and California Grill...if it's food you're looking for.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

We are same as you...2 adults, 3 children (our 1yo has not accompanied us yet). Hubby is fairly picky. Our top 5 dinners have been...

'Ohana
Boma
Hollywood Brown Derby
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Biergarten

We have always done the DxDDP but this next trip our oldest will be an "adult" so we are not doing the meal plan at all. She will want to order from the kids menu at all non-buffet restaurants. Because no DDP we are not doing any signature restaurants this time and we are doing fewer TS overall, but we are trying 4 new locations for dinner - Raglan Road, Via Napoli, 50s Prime Time and Be Our Guest.

DD1 (12), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

1. Boma
2. Ohana
3. Cape May
4. Yachtsman Steakhouse
5. Artist Point

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Ah my husband's appetite is as bland as they come.

1. Coral Reef
2. Plaza
3. Yachtsman
4. Raglan Road
5. Le Cellier (haven't been yet, but DH is already certain he'll like it)

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolejean View Post

1. Chef Mickey's - a must do for the kids. Food was not great, but I had low expectations and they were met.
2. Via Napoli - great pizza, fun enough for the kids watching the pizza ovens

I can't really make any other recommendations, our ADRs were based on maximizing our character meals and picking what we thought would be good culinary choices. Here is where I won't be returning:

CRT--did it for lunch. Felt much like a dairy cow must feel when she goes to the milking station because we felt so pushed through. I realize it's a business, I realize it's just a routine meal for them. But for me it was my chance to eat in Cinderella's Castle on my very first trip to Disneyworld. They should keep that in mind.
'Ohana -- completely underwhelmed by the food. Have heard that the good sauces are gone now too, just down to peanut and I have a peanut allergy kid.
Chefs de France--did this as a spur of the moment dinner, it was very unfrench. The short ribs were awful, the sauce was supposed to be cabernet based and instead tasted like Heinz canned gravy. Were snotty about my children being there, even though the French bring their children to fine dining all the time.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: