Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
DuckyCurtains
Mouseketeer

Ideas for a Disney topic for class?

I have an english class and we have pick a topic we can argue about. Any ideas about any disney related topics that would fit the bill? It would be good if it was something I could research.
He didn't give me anything more than that to go on to pick a topic.

But since I have a trip coming up at the end of the semester I'd be a lot happier doing papers somehow relating to disney. Anyone have a topic suggestion?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyCurtains View Post
I have an english class and we have pick a topic we can argue about. Any ideas about any disney related topics that would fit the bill? It would be good if it was something I could research.

But since I have a trip coming up at the end of the semester I'd be a lot happier doing papers somehow relating to disney. Anyone have a topic suggestion?
I can think of one topic that was debated pretty heavily right here on the Dis not too long ago. It involved a group of visually impaired guests who had a lawsuit against Disney for not meeting ADA guidelines (specifically for guests with visual disabilities). I'm sure you could research the lawsuit and the findings that were released. I believe parts of this suit may still be up in the air at this time. You would also need to research the ADA and what it requires. I know that there were a lot of valid points on both sides of the argument when it was discussed on here, so it would probably be a good debate topic. That's all I've got right off the top of my head. Good Luck!
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I agree with the other poster that a topic like he/she mentioned might work, but the argument would be more of, do you agree or disagree that the lawsuit was warranted.

The thing about picking a topic like Disney is that you have to consider your audience. How many of them have been to Disney?
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I used to coach debate (even though I teach math).. this is right up my alley!!

How about:
- Disney is known as a family oriented organization. Which should be it's higher priority: providing services at family-friendly prices or maximizing profits for its shareholders?

- People come to Disney to relax, and for adults, smoking is a legal form of relaxation. Should smoking be allowed on Disney property? How about drinking (for adults over the age of 21?)

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyCurtains View Post

School related things to explore at Disney. For example take three items showing how a trip to Disney is educational. The presidential hall, and American exhibit at Epcot. Tomorrow land Carosel of Progress takes a step back in time to yesteryear.

AK the safari and petting area, gorillas.

Epcot there is the behind the Seas hydroponics, the exploration of foods in the lands.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Schminston-Mo
Mouseketeer

Is it appropriate to take children out of school for a family vacation?

Should Disney release Song of the South?
Camping Ft. Wilderness 2004
Off Site 2007
August 2009 POP!
Schminston-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Was Paris the best site for a European Disney park?

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Is this for a high school or college class? Depending on the audience I think you need to be careful about the topic you pick. I would consider doing a specific topic that is not Disney related, but use an example about Disney to support your arguement.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I always like exploring the evolution of gender roles in Disney movies. I wrote a lot of papers on that for my college sociology classes.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Avalon_toon
DIS Veteran

Location: Eastern Canada - its beautiful here, but cold, wet and foggy for too many months - must go back to WDW soon!

There is a video called "Mickey Mouse Monopoly" (pretty sure you can see clips on youtube) that argues, among other things, that Beauty and the Beast teaches women to stay in abusive relationships. You could argue the pros and cons of that...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: