Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Not Disney related-Job seeker vent

I know there are so many people out there looking for a job and have been looking longer than I have but just have to vent. I have been looking since October and have had 2 interviews. The first one...well, without too much detail...was told I didn't have the right "look" for the job. I was interviewing for a Educational Curriculum director position. The next one...I showed up for the interview and was told that they already hired for that position but was interested in a cook position?

And to top it all off today...we have a major issues with our home phone and once it was finally fixed...I had missed a message from another school. When I called back, she already filled the position but told me that if had I called back sooner...I was their top pick! (and yes, she had my cell phone number also!)

Just thought I would share some frustrtation...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditsypixie View Post
I know there are so many people out there looking for a job and have been looking longer than I have but just have to vent. I have been looking since October and have had 2 interviews. The first one...well, without too much detail...was told I didn't have the right "look" for the job. I was interviewing for a Educational Curriculum director position. The next one...I showed up for the interview and was told that they already hired for that position but was interested in a cook position?

And to top it all off today...we have a major issues with our home phone and once it was finally fixed...I had missed a message from another school. When I called back, she already filled the position but told me that if had I called back sooner...I was their top pick! (and yes, she had my cell phone number also!)

I feel your pain, but really 2 (and should have been 3) interviews in that time span isn't actually that bad. DH was out of work for over 2 years. He had 4 interviews in those 2 years. One company brought him back 6 times, even though we didn't think he was qualified for the position they were interviewing him for (he had applied for something different). But, when they keep calling you back, you figure they know what they're doing. Two hour drive each way and about $8 in tolls....Guess what? After the 6th interview, he got a letter saying he didn't have the qualifications for the job. Huh?? Did no one read his resume?? owell....at least he finally found something in his field.

We have another friend who has been out of work for over 4 years. She is basically unemployable as she had a very, very high paying position in a very specific field in the corporate world. She's had 2 interviews in her field and has been told by other prospective employers that they do not want take a chance that she will leave if she finds a job closer to what she was making after they train her.

Sucks to be unemployed...it really does. Hope you have some better luck going forward...although in the education field it can be tough.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Glad your husband finally found something! That is crazy...all those interviews and then to be told he didn't have the qualifications.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

It took me 10 months, I finally took something that I really dislike. But at least I'm working now.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Caradana
Miraculously, Refreshingly Marooned in Anonymity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditsypixie View Post

What did they mean by the look? Was it a weight thing?
Caradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Feel your pain. My DH has been out of work for almost 3 yrs. He did go back to school for a Masters in a new field. He is very connected in the new field but jobs are few currently. Yesterday he go an email from a job he applied to in like November that they would like to do a phone interview Wednesday. Excited but we had pretty much written that job off.

I'm a new nurse and the job prospects suck in the Philly area. I currently work part time in home health care but trying to find something better and full time. I've decided I might have to relocate....

Tough market out there.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
beatlesblonde
When will the madness end?

I feel for you, I've been looking since last May and didn't get any interviews until November. Since then I have had 2 interviews, both of which I thought went well but am still waiting for decisions (cause apparently in my field there are openings out there but companies aren't in a hurry to fill them )

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan
beatlesblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradana View Post
What did they mean by the look? Was it a weight thing?
No, not at all. I am tall, athletic and not overweight at all. I don't want to say exactly what it was because I don't want to start anything here on DIS, but let's just say...it's something you cannot change about yourself at all. I thought I was hearing things or mis-understood what the interviewer said, but my friends and family whom I have told the situation...said its exactly what I thought she was saying to me. Sorry to be so vague!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesblonde View Post
I feel for you, I've been looking since last May and didn't get any interviews until November. Since then I have had 2 interviews, both of which I thought went well but am still waiting for decisions (cause apparently in my field there are openings out there but companies aren't in a hurry to fill them )
Good luck to you ...I hope something opens up for you soon!!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
Feel your pain. My DH has been out of work for almost 3 yrs. He did go back to school for a Masters in a new field. He is very connected in the new field but jobs are few currently. Yesterday he go an email from a job he applied to in like November that they would like to do a phone interview Wednesday. Excited but we had pretty much written that job off.

I'm a new nurse and the job prospects suck in the Philly area. I currently work part time in home health care but trying to find something better and full time. I've decided I might have to relocate....

Tough market out there.
Good luck to your DH in his phone interview! I hope something opens up to you in the field on nursing. I had thought about going back to school for a nursing degree but the programs around me are FULL and have LONG waiting lists.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
It took me 10 months, I finally took something that I really dislike. But at least I'm working now.
I hope your job gets better or something different comes along!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: