Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #31
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

If you have a dietary need and are in TS restaurant you just let your server know and the Chef will come to your table. Servers just write down what the Chef tells them so no running back and forth for info.

Generally you will be asked what your in the mood for. The Chef will let you know what can be adapted to your needs.

Best option is to look over menus, choose a few dishes that you may possibly want and then speak to the Chef to see which ones can be made for you. Truly it's not as difficult as it seems to be and it's never any trouble for the Chef or the server. The only time it's even remotely problematic is when you order and then say no salt.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
If you have a dietary need and are in TS restaurant you just let your server know and the Chef will come to your table. Servers just write down what the Chef tells them so no running back and forth for info.

Generally you will be asked what your in the mood for. The Chef will let you know what can be adapted to your needs.

Best option is to look over menus, choose a few dishes that you may possibly want and then speak to the Chef to see which ones can be made for you. Truly it's not as difficult as it seems to be and it's never any trouble for the Chef or the server. The only time it's even remotely problematic is when you order and then say no salt.
This is what we have done for my wifes diabeties......never a problem!

Frankly trying to print out a giude is NOT a good idea. With 100 restuarents and all the diaiy changes in food available and menus, a printed list is just not a good idea! You can bet if there was a printed menu, then someone would be wining if something on the menu was not available !

The system is in place to handle diet and medical issues andit has proven to be very good. I suggest anyone with the ossue uses it.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #33
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Thank you both for trying to help, I appreciate it! The catch with a menu is that there is no way to determine the sodium content of a dish, no matter how many times you read it or how hard you try. You have a decent shot at guessing the carb count or protein count or etc etc in some dishes, but salt -- no way. Still, I think its GREAT that Disney offers low fat options, vegetarian options, Kosher options, gluten free options, etc. There are commercial kitchens that add salt to raw produce like a tossed salad, before the dressing! With the number of people who are supposed to be on a low sodium diet, whether they choose to follow it or not, this is not an usual category LOL and if anything, could well be the most usual. In all these years and visits, I have never had all my meals at TS and do not want to, certainly don't want to have to. Always split it up! One thought that I had was for Disney to adjust their newer "healthy option line" to reflect low sodium as well as low fat, might be a great solution. One category to cover both major dietary contributors to heart disease. But for now .... Hi Ho Hi Ho
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

I would say that the signature restaurants would be able to handle low sodium requests very well. Flying Fish has already been mentioned, Citricos, Artist Point are two of our favorites.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #35
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra
I would say that the signature restaurants would be able to handle low sodium requests very well. Flying Fish has already been mentioned, Citricos, Artist Point are two of our favorites.
ANY TS restaurant can do low sodium, it just requires a Chef table visit.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I'm sure everyone who has one kind of dietary restriction or another would like the same thing. But do you honestly expect Disney to do this for everyone?. A list for low sodium. A list for gluten free. A list for diabetics. A list for high potassium. A list for low carb. A list for high protein. A list for those allergic to nuts. A list for........... see the problem? You are the one with the restriction. It's your job to let Disney know what that restriction is when you have a TS ADR. And it's your job to do look at menus in advance if necessary. And it's your job to ask for the ingredient book if necessary at the CS spots. Disney already goes above and beyond what most other theme parks do. They cannot possibly cater to every possible dietary restriction out there.
Yup, this. There's constant opsts about people with with allergies (dairy, egg, nuts). People that need to eat gluten free etc. If I am eating a certain way I tend to bring most foods myself and research the menus.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #37
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Yup, this. There's constant opsts about people with with allergies (dairy, egg, nuts). People that need to eat gluten free etc. If I am eating a certain way I tend to bring most foods myself and research the menus.
It's hard to research menus when there is no nutritional information easily available. Even McDonald's offers nutritional lists. Considering all the people who visit WDW, with varying health concerns, it just seems logical that they would as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
No matter how hard I try, I can't imagine having an objection to helping someone else out, especially if it created no problems for me. What, I would be upset that my stir fry is cooked in canola oil instead of peanut oil since Susie is allergic to peanuts and I'm not? If I'm not gluten sensitive, I can't order a gluten free platter and still enjoy it? Or order a roll on the side? And if the description of a low sodium platter appealed to me but I wanted my food salty, I, like most people, could figure out how to use the salt shaker.

Again, again, again, researching the menus does not help with low sodium. Again.

I don't usually bring my own food on vacation and I'm betting most people prefer not to. And I'll bet you the farm that Disney prefers that people don't either.

While low sodium items are just starting to become available in restaurants and packaged goods, the likelihood is that it will only expand just like the availability of low fat items. Both represent a leading cause to the number one killer in America. These things take time and I intend to stay with it. It took a long time with smoking too but it was still the right thing to do.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #39
karice2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
It's hard to research menus when there is no nutritional information easily available. Even McDonald's offers nutritional lists. Considering all the people who visit WDW, with varying health concerns, it just seems logical that they would as well.
This is exactly the point that is being missed by those who post and say ask for a chef's visit. If the nutritional information were made available then people could plan better.

No one is asking for special treatment for their particular ailment, the general consensus is that if Disney made the nutritional information available then people can make smarter choices.

The argument that Disney changes the menu so much is full of hot air. McDonalds doesn't always serve the McRib but they sure make the info available all the time. There are also some standards that never changes. Casey's will always have hot dogs and flame tree will always have ribs. There would be a mutiny if Le Cellier didn't have cheddar cheese soup and lord help us if Mickey Waffles went away. Those standards could easily be made available.

May 2010 -POFQ September 2010 AKL-December 2010 Off-Site
May 2011 BWV- December 2011 Christmas Magic December 2012 Annual Christmas Trip April 2014 Friends and Family May 2014 Star Wars Weekend July 2014 Harambe Nights

I've eaten at 47 out of 240 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 85 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (18%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 70 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (21%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
karice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #40
mom2of2

One of the reasons for asking to speak to the Chef is because although ingredients don't change the name brand might. Although the main ingredient may be the same their could be something additional in it that could possibly be an allergent. Chefs have this info...they ordered it.

Why risk reading something that could possibly be wrong when you could speak to someone who has the current daily info
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #41
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Maybe an example is more helpful than repeating something a thousand times about researching the menu to find info on sodium content. Be Our Guest Restaurant is providing nutritional data and I have found that info but only for one item. It would be GREAT to get it for the rest of the items so if someone has it, please please please post!! The Braised Pork for lunch at Be Our Guest has more sodium in it than a Burger King Whopper. Even more interesting (and hopefully will get this point across already) is that the Burger King Tender Crisp Salad with Chicken has more sodium than the Burger King Whopper. Obviously most people woulld think that a salad with chicken would be a healthier meal than a burger with the works.

Still think that combining low fat and low sodium into one healthy option has a great deal of promise. One option to cover both salt and fat would probably be easier for Disney and might ruffle fewer feathers (even if I can't understand the ruffling) LOL!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...t/menus/lunch/

There's a link at the top for nutritional content. It includes everything on the lunch menu.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #43
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Thank you sooooo much. This is perfect!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #44
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

This link didnt work. It says page not found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...t/menus/lunch/

There's a link at the top for nutritional content. It includes everything on the lunch menu.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #45
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
This link didnt work. It says page not found.
That is the problem with the new site, I just try refreshing a few times and sometimes that works.

Also, nutritional information is not there for all menus and there are menus that are incomplete, but I do think they are trying to improve things by offering a lot more data (easier to find as well). Maybe after a few months the new site and the kinks will be ironed out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: