Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #256
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
I'm catching up on your review and am enjoying it immensely, thanks so much for sharing your family's dining experiences with us!
It's such a pleasure to share. Thank you so much for reading!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #257
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Friday, 8/10/12 - Breakfast - The Writer's Stop

For breakfast on our one day in DHS we decided to use snack credits at The Writer's Stop.

Chocolate Chip Cookie:

Sorry this photo is overexposed. The cookie was really good!

Carrot Cake Cookie:

We loved it!

Here is another view:

Cake so moist and filled with carrots and flavors! Icing deliciously thick and sweet. So good.

These things were huge! These two snacks were more than enough to get us to lunch, which would be at...Mama Melrose (Coming up)!

We also loved the atmosphere in here. There wasn't a whole lot of seating, but it really didn't matter, since there was practically nobody in the place. A great place for a nice rest and treat!

4/5 for breakfast at The Writer's Stop!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-24-2013 at 06:19 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #258
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Friday, 8/10/12 - Lunch - Mama Melrose

So this was our first trip to Mama Melrose, and we were not quite sure what to expect. I think we managed to keep our expectations pretty low for this one, especially after being totally blown away by Via Napoli...we knew we weren't going to be that impressed again. This was one of the places where, as we had agreed in advance, we were to order 3 meals and split them amongst the 4 of us.

The atmosphere in this place is very cute. It reminds me of Little Italy in Manhattan. Our server was Stephanie, and she was lovely and efficient. You won't hear any complaints about the service from this party. We checked in a few minutes early and the waiting area felt quite chaotic. Thankfully we didn't wait more than maybe 10 minutes or so.

We received rolls and seasoned olive oil:

I didn't really care too much for the oil. It was way too peppery for my liking, and I mean black pepper, not spicy pepper. I'm not a fan of lots of black pepper. The bread rolls were soft and fresh, I believe they were served warm.

One of the starters we chose was the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine Ripened Tomatoes:

Very good. The dressing was nice and not overpowering.

We also ordered the Mama's Antipasto for Two:

This was really, really good. It was right up our alley and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think we may have fought a bit over who would get what, because we all wanted more of this. It didn't taste like the same quality as the salami and provolone at VN, but it was very good nonetheless.

For our entrees we chose...

Chicken Campanelle:

This was not gross. It was the least favorite of the pasta dishes on the trip, but there was nothing wrong with it.

Margherita Pizza:

This was fine. A nice brick oven style pizza, which before Via Napoli, might have been very good, but after...it was a bit uninspiring. Again, there was nothing wrong with it.

Charred Strip Steak:

This dish was absolutely delicious and I wanted it all to myself. That macaroni and cheese underneath was rich and creamy and cheesy, the steak was fine quality and cooked perfectly, and the chianti wine reduction was just yummy. But alas...I had to share! No doubt that this was the winning entree!

Spumoni Gelato:

Good.

Mama's Panna Cotta:

No sugar added and delicious!

Chocolate Cake:

We were uninspired by this. So much so that as we look back at the menu, we can't even figure out if this was the Chocolate Cannoli or the Chocolate Cheesecake, though we lean toward Cannoli.

Overall, Mama Melrose was good. We probably won't return and spend our money there again with so many other choices in Disney World, but we wouldn't mind going back for the antipasto, the steak and the panna cotta, if we were spending another mealtime in DHS. One thing is for sure...MM can't hold a candle to Via Napoli!

The meal would have cost $137.44 (including the tip), but we paid 3 credits and $22 OOP.

3/5 for Mama Melrose! Of all our dining experiences on this trip, MM was closest to a 2...but the atmosphere, nice service and really really good steak and antipasto saved it and elevated it to the 3 (barely).

Coming up soon...cocktails at Tambu Lounge (again) and dinner at California Grill!

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #259
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Wow! So many great reviews for some of our favorites and some that we will be trying for the first time like Raglan Road and Narcoosees next month!

I think the baked meringue dessert at RR was pavlova. I hope they have that when we go next month. Em and I will have to try that and of course, Ger's bread pudding! Yum!

We had Jill as our server at Le Cellier and she was great! I may be in the minority for my family but I still love the mushroom filet there.

Your African safari lunch was a unique experience. I was very interested to see what they served. Everything looked delicious.

I can see why you would power through these updates if you have a goal of booking a return trip! Go for it!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #260
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Wow! So many great reviews for some of our favorites and some that we will be trying for the first time like Raglan Road and Narcoosees next month!

I think the baked meringue dessert at RR was pavlova. I hope they have that when we go next month. Em and I will have to try that and of course, Ger's bread pudding! Yum!

We had Jill as our server at Le Cellier and she was great! I may be in the minority for my family but I still love the mushroom filet there.

Your African safari lunch was a unique experience. I was very interested to see what they served. Everything looked delicious.

I can see why you would power through these updates if you have a goal of booking a return trip! Go for it!!
You are so lucky you will be back in WDW next month! I can't wait to read Emmy's report. You two are too cute!

You are right, the dessert at RR was Pavlova. I remembered the name after I did the report...I suppose I should go back and edit that in. Belle enjoyed it a lot, she tends to really like fruit-flavored desserts. We have had the most luck with simple foods at RR; Hercules really loved his burger there in 2011, and the steak was good except for the basil dressing, which I believed they have swapped out for something else. Fish and chips were great!

I'm betting you will really enjoy Narcoossee's. I'm sure our weird service there was an anomaly, and the atmosphere in there is really amongst the best in Disney!

Oh, that mushroom filet at LC!! So, soooo yummy! But yeah, the rest of my family just isn't that into it, which makes no sense to me?!

The African safari was a fabulous experience overall, and we really highly recommend it. The "lunch" was a few bites of a variety of things, all very fresh and good. We have done a lot of the safaris available at AK and AKL, and this was right up there in quality and value. We have been kind of spoiled by these experiences; it will be hard for us to go back to doing AK the "regular" way!

Each day I'm getting closer and closer to my new ticker. This DR is winding down...stay tuned! ETA: Aladdin says I'm plowing through too fast...I think he's starting to get a little nervous about actually producing the ticker.

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #261
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Friday, 8/10/12 - Cocktails - Tambu Lounge

This would be our last night in WDW, and why not kick it off right with a little relaxation at the Tambu Lounge?!

Aladdin and I left Belle and Herc to have their last swim in the volcano while we went off in hopes of tropical deliciousness and the promise of maybe meeting some other DISers.

We had to wait a little while for seats at the bar, as the place was pretty busy (around 5:30?). We didn't mind, because we had the time. Our bar tender was Walter and he is apparently a master mixologist, and also very friendly!

For our first round, we chose a Pina Colava and a Malibu Macaw:

Aside from the gorgeous presentation, these drinks tasted amazing! Aladdin and I were in tropical paradise with an amazing view of the castle!

At some point, Dani (disneydreamin247) came over and introduced herself and her little guy. So nice and it was great to meet another DISer in person! She and her family were dining at 'Ohana that night, so sadly they couldn't hang with us for long, but it was a terrific few moments!

Aladdin and I weren't quite ready to tear ourselves away from Tambu just yet, so we ordered one more drink to split, the Island Sunset:

Delicious! We can't even decide which of these 3 drinks we preferred. They were all truly amazing.

You see Hula Eeyore in these photos because he was my TR mascot, and we wanted other DISers to be able to ID us when they saw Eeyore at the bar!

Our total bill came to $29.77 for these 3 drinks, $24.77 + $5 tip. This was $30 well-spent, folks.

Hands down:

5/5 for Tambu! The only thing wrong with this place is that we ever have to leave!

After drinks it was time to go back to the room and finish packing and prepare for our last dinner at California Grill!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #262
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up wouldn't mind if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Hands down:

5/5 for Tambu! The only thing wrong with this place is that we ever have to leave!
...we were there right now. Seriously though, I could go there every night. Easily!

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #263
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
We have never tried 'Ohana for breakfast, which is kind of inexcusable, because we adore the Poly and we are big fans of Lilo and Stitch (cats' names? "Lilo" and "Stitch"). We never seem to find a way to fit it in. In general, we prefer to concentrate on getting to the parks in the am, and don't have a whole lot of motivation for sit-down breakfasts.

I like the pot stickers at 'Ohana a lot (the ones at Kona are even better, have you tried those?), but I just LOVE those noodles. What is it about those noodles?!
That's too funny that you named your cats and have never been to their character meal! No, I've never eaten at Kona. It's on the list of places to try, but 'Ohana always seems to win out. Probably because of the "all you can eat" aspect, even though I've never asked for seconds of anything!

I agree, the noodles are really tasty as well. I could make a meal of the potstickers, noodles and salad and forget everything else.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #264
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreetFireman View Post
...we were there right now. Seriously though, I could go there every night. Easily!
Me too!!! Seriously, no matter where we stay, Tambu is worth the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
That's too funny that you named your cats and have never been to their character meal! No, I've never eaten at Kona. It's on the list of places to try, but 'Ohana always seems to win out. Probably because of the "all you can eat" aspect, even though I've never asked for seconds of anything!

I agree, the noodles are really tasty as well. I could make a meal of the potstickers, noodles and salad and forget everything else.
We have asked for more salad, wings, noodles and shrimp...but not at the same seating .

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #265
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Friday, 8/10/12 - Dinner - California Grill!

Sadly, we were packed and ready for our last dinner!

But we had such a magical experience at CG last time we dined here (summer 2010) that we were really excited about this meal, despite all the gluttony of the week leading up to it.

We were lead to a table to the left of the entry way, around the kitchen counter and in the middle of the room (close to kitchen, not windows). This area had a completely different feel to it than where we had sat before, which was nearer the windows on the MK side of the restaurant. Our table this time made us feel like there was nothing particularly special about the setting or the atmosphere of the restaurant. If we hadn't had such a great table last time, we may not have known the difference.

As soon as our server came over and introduced himself to us, we explained that we wanted to go outside about 10 minutes before Wishes so we could see it well. We explained that it was our last night and we really wanted to enjoy our last fireworks. He said "Don't worry, I know a secret place where you can watch it and you don't have to leave 10 minutes early...I'll take care of you."

Let me say, there was something about our server that really put us all off. He was outwardly friendly and smiley, but...we can't quite put our finger on it, he was...edgy? sarcastic? We didn't talk about it when we were there, but when we left, we all shared that we all got the same feeling. Like he was resentful or angry toward us, though we know there's no reason for that, so it doesn't really make any sense. Anyway, I can't really say he was bad or our service was slow or bad in any way...it was just something under the surface of his attitude. Maybe he was fighting with someone else and trying to cover it up?

Anyway, so the server, combine with the seating, kind of started us off on the wrongish foot. No matter, onto the food!

Delicious sour dough bread with butter:

Hercules went with the artisan cheeses:

This was gorgeously presented and a beautiful selection as well. It was our second favorite cheese plate of the trip (after Yachtsman), and I ended up ordering another for dessert!

Triple Cheese Flatbread:

This was so good! We all love pesto, and this had just the right amount!

Crispy Rock Shrimp Salad:

This was disappointing. I had read such rave reviews about this salad, but mine was just OK. The shrimp were not that freshly fried, meaning they weren't hot or crispy, and the greens were a little bit soggy.

Spicy Kazan Roll:

This is was very very good, but we felt it wasn't as magically delicious as last time. It is one of my favorite sushi items on the planet, though I have to say my local sushi place makes some awesome specialty rolls that are about as good.

Now, our menu says we also had a Goat Cheese Ravioli appetizer, and Hercules says he remembers it and it was delicious, but I don't have any photos. It's possible that this cheese plate was the only one we had and it was dessert...now I'm not too sure. I don't know why I wouldn't have a photo of the ravioli?

After our appetizers, it was getting really close to 10 PM, and I was getting nervous about our view of Wishes. I flagged down our server to tell him we were going out, and he was like "trust me, you have plenty of time..." He told us where to go, around the elevators and down the long hall "I promise, no one else will be there, you will have a private view, you can wait another few minutes..." Well, good thing we didn't wait until the last minute...we went out at around 5 minutes to 10, and let me tell you, that balcony was CROWDED, and our view was not very good. I felt sad for the people who came out after us, because I doubt they could see the castle at all. We enjoyed Wishes, but were feeling a little duped.

We went back for our next course, the entrees.

Belle ordered the Seared Scallops with Risotto:

She really loved these. The scallops were cooked perfectly, so tender and buttery. It wasn't her favorite preparation of scallops ever (this honor goes to Artist Point), but the preparations are always changing seasonally anyway. This was one of her favorite meals of the trip!

Hercules went with the Veal Chop:

He enjoyed this, but wasn't completely wow-ed. It didn't live up to his expectations based upon his last meal here, which was a seasonal salmon preparation and was heavenly, possibly the best thing he's ever tasted.

Aladdin chose the Oak-fired Filet of Beef:

He enjoyed this, but it "didn't even come close" in his words, to his meal at Yachtsman. He says the filet was "on par" with the filet part of his Surf & Turf at Narcoossee's.

I ordered the entree I had been dreaming of for two years, the Grilled Pork Tenderloin:

Again, a delicious dish, but not quite as magical as before...is it because it was prepared slightly differently? Sitting on the counter under a lamp for a few minutes? Or was I jaded from the week of gluttony...the bad table...the weird server...or having had this before? I honestly wish I could answer this question...

For dessert, we ordered one Banana Caramel:

This was truly delicious!

Cheesecake:

I don't remember anything about this! Don't know what flavor it was. The menu on Allears says Mango Goat Cheesecake, but I can't imagine anyone in my family ordering this!

Finally, the amazing Valrhona Chocolate Cake:

This is the best of its kind. Absolutely decadent!

I had a glass of wine and our tip was $65. OOP we paid $84.17, and it would have been $412.01 without DxDP.

Even though our meal wan't as magically on par with our first experience here, it still earns a:

4/5!

Coming up...breakfast at CP!

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-28-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #266
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

I am joining along and all caught up now.

Sounds like you really had some pluses and failures. Too many to comment on, but I have enjoyed your reviews.

Thanks for sharing!
WDWaddictt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #267
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
I am joining along and all caught up now.

Sounds like you really had some pluses and failures. Too many to comment on, but I have enjoyed your reviews.

Thanks for sharing!
Oh, thank you so much for reading! I'm glad you've enjoyed my report.

You LUCKY DUCK!! I am so jealous of your ticker!!! Have a magical stay at AKV!!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #268
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Saturday, 8/11/12 - Breakfast - Crystal Palace!

This was our departure day, and we were feeling really bitter sweet, happy to have had such a wonderful trip, but so sad to leave! Last time we were in WDW, we talked about the idea of starting our departure day with an early entrance into MK and a nice character meal...hence our ADR at Crystal Palace.

Our only other experience at CP was a great one in 2001, dinner before MNSSHP. We had been so busy trying out other restaurants for dinner, and very rarely, if ever, find the time to schedule a breakfast ADR, so we just hadn't made it back. But our last few trips we have been noticing how hard it is to find Eeyore in the parks anywhere. We...well...Hula Eeyore and I...really wanted to see Eeyore, so we went for it!

We entered the park a little before 8 and made our way up an almost empty Main Street to CP. We were seated shortly at a lovely window table.

Hula Eeyore met Eeyore:

He was not disappointed. The long-awaited meeting was everything he dreamed it would be!

I only have a few pics of the food here. The sun was streaming through the gorgeous windows, which made for a beautiful setting but made it really tough to take photos! These are the best I've got.

Sorry, this one is really overexposed:

This is a biscuit with gravy (nothing special but hot and fresh), Mickey waffle, and some kind of pre-made egg concoction that was good.

The famous puffed french toast, which was so scrumptious, but more like a doughnut than french toast:

Also red grapes, breakfast potato casserole and ham and cheese? fritata.

Breakfast Lasagna:

When I hear the words "breakfast lasagna" my mind imagines a savory dish with eggs, potatoes, cheese, maybe some veggies. But this is really a fruity bread pudding. Not what I would expect, but being the bread pudding fan that I am, I really enjoyed this. I think I had another spoonful!

Quite a few servings of the lasagna and puffed french toast were enjoyed by my family, and many more Mickey waffles than necessary for 4 people. But heck...we were nearing the end of our gluttonous adventure, without any return trip in sight. We owed it to ourselves to make the most of this!! Made-to-order eggs and omelettes were available, as well as all kinds of meats and pancakes. We just focused more on the unique items.

I have to give a shout out to our amazing server Eneida, who made sure our coffee mugs were filled and our plates cleared in a timely manner (we surely put her to work on this tall order ), and she even filled our refillable mugs before we left. The coffee was good here, too, we thought, better than typical Disney coffee, so we thought. Maybe it was just the beautiful setting!

We saw all the characters, ate ourselves puffed-er than the french toast, and when we exited the restaurant at 9:05, we were already at the castle end of mainstreet, pretty much ahead of the throngs.

Our bill would have been $136.98, but we paid $22 OOP for the tip.

Rating for Crystal Palace:

4/5! I think if this had been our FIRST morning instead of our last, our spirits might have been just high enough to give it a 5, even! We will happily return to CP again, and we especially loved the breakfast, since it enabled us to enter MK before RD.

Next up...some snacks in MK and our final meal at Kona Cafe

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-30-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #269
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

I like CP, but I don't find anything really special here. This will be the first time we are not going there, on our upcoming trip because we are going to try BOG for supper instead.

Yah! Tomorrow we are surprising the kids and leaving for Disney! Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing in your review, it has made me look forward to a few. Can't wait to hear about Kona, because we are going there for our first time.
WDWaddictt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #270
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh no! Sorry your CG dinner was not as spectacular as before. It definitely sounds like from the waiter to the table location to the food something just wasn't right. I agree with you about the pork. I've ordered that the last 2 or 3 times and I'm ready for something different. (I suppose with the restaurant rehab and menu changes there should be some great choices.)

We've viewed Wishes from the back terrace before and it hasn't been crowded... I suppose the secret it now out and more and more people go there. Darn that waiter for holding you back from going sooner!

Oh, and I loved the caramel banana dessert - one of the few that I have really enjoyed at CG.

Glad to see that hula Eeyore met Eeyore at CP!! That is an adorable photo!!

Now that your TR is winding down I see another trip in your future.... Yes?
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: