Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

You have to wonder if Bob Iger felt intimidated by Congress' whopping 14 percent approval rating.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

The problem now is Disney owns the privacy issue. Let one persons private information be leaked, god forbid a kid or 1 cast member abuse some of this information and Eiger is not going to look very good when his reply gets read at the civil suit.. oh wait during the settlement hearing

webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com
No Tag, No Signature.....no Need
WebmasterAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #33
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

What is this letter about? I'm sorry I've been out of the loop and haven't been caught up to date with things yet lol. I just want to know what everyone is talking about.
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #34
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
What is this letter about? I'm sorry I've been out of the loop and haven't been caught up to date with things yet lol. I just want to know what everyone is talking about.
Terri, take a look at the information in the first post.

So, I haven't listened to all of the show yet, but I about busted a gut at the intro. It's related.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Well done Bob Iger !!!!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #36
thbath77
Earning My Ears

That's Awesome!! I love listening to the Podcast conversation this week about privacy. Pete is right. The fact that when I look something up online I then have ads about it for the next few days because they are tracking what I am looking at, scares me more then anything else.
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney
thbath77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbath77 View Post
That's Awesome!! I love listening to the Podcast conversation this week about privacy. Pete is right. The fact that when I look something up online I then have ads about it for the next few days because they are tracking what I am looking at, scares me more then anything else.
It would scare me, too, except half the ads are for Disney products!

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Interesting response. I agree with others it is not the tone of letter you would expect from a CEO but I concur with its' sentiments.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I love it! I would bet that Iger doesn't give two hoots about what Markey thinks of him or the Disney Company, as a whole. And Iger must not think he will get in hot water with his shareholders or guests by saying it. It's akin to a baseball team's manager getting in the umpire's face to challenge a call. It usally gets the team, fans and audience behind him. I might be reading too much into the letter, but it's a possible strategy - one which seems to be working based upon this thread alone I'm behind you, Bob!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #40
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
I might be reading too much into the letter, but it's a possible strategy - one which seems to be working based upon this thread alone I'm behind you, Bob!
Ha! That's a good point. When's the last time there was a thread here that was Universally behind a decision made by the Disney CEO? Most likely never.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #41
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Ha! That's a good point. When's the last time there was a thread here that was Universally behind a decision made by the Disney CEO? Most likely never.
I think I'll have to visit this corner of the board more often!! Same as above cannot be said of the other sections of DIS...

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #42
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Interesting response. I agree with others it is not the tone of letter you would expect from a CEO but I concur with its' sentiments.
I think it was a response that had to be given bluntly. Markey had essentially called Disney out, in public, with lack of information. What Markey did is cause unneeded concern in the public eye and couldn't even tell the public what the issues really were. Iger had to smack it down and put out a fire quickly and to the point to protect the company.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #43
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
I think it was a response that had to be given bluntly. Markey had essentially called Disney out, in public, with lack of information. What Markey did is cause unneeded concern in the public eye and couldn't even tell the public what the issues really were. Iger had to smack it down and put out a fire quickly and to the point to protect the company.
Good point but what I don't get s why did this Congressman have to do this publicly in the first place. If he was truly concerned why didn't he just send a letter in private to Disney? Instead he wants to make a show of it and then we have Bob Iger give what I would say i the greatest response from any CEO.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Good point but what I don't get s why did this Congressman have to do this publicly in the first place. If he was truly concerned why didn't he just send a letter in private to Disney? Instead he wants to make a show of it and then we have Bob Iger give what I would say i the greatest response from any CEO.
Politicians grandstand. Attacking Disney will ensure publicity. It is not uncommon for politicians from both sides to attack without first trying to ascertain the facts.

This isn't the first example nor, sadly, will it be the last.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #45
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Power. At least that is how I see it. He wanted everyone to know how much power he had because he had the right to do this. I bet he expected Disney to "bow down" and take it. However, he got more then he bargained for when Iger stood up for the company and called him on it.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: