Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
kalel29
Dis Dad #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I don't think it's an uncommon feeling at all, to be thinking about something being finished before it's even started.

I started my online "life" when newly engaged, and after all the planning that brides (and some grooms) do for their weddings (and remember, this is somewhat new, because the mother of the bride was generally the planner just a couple generations ago) it is EXTREMELY common to start a "and then the wedding will be over" line of thought that makes you sad. Of course you've got married life to look forward to, but "married life" isn't different to *everyone*, so you never know if it will feel new or just the same. And then there's the honeymoon you plan and look forward to, etc.

And with the intense Disneyland/world planning we do here, same thing.

So it's no surprise to be counting down and sort of already living in the last few days of the cruise. If it's any consolation, at least you're not alone.

As we are leaving DLR, WDW, or Universal Orlando, we are sad, but now we are happy for those arriving! Soon enough they will be sad like us, so it's happier to be happy for what we had and what they are about to have.
Its nice to know that I'm not alone in this. I agree, there's the planning, then the wedding, then the honeymoon, then the marriage itself right? So in Disney terms there's purchasing of trip. Then arrival to destination. Then the fun of the park, cruise, etc... And finally becoming a lifelong super fan of anything and all Disney. There is no shame in being sad if it means happy memories were created and many others will now enjoy the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post
Wow, I did not see where this thread was going from the title ...

The "Walk of Shame" meant something ENTIRELY different in my college years. Way different.
Lol...which is the reason I had to explain myself in red font. Being that we were either going to college at the time or having already graduated, the term came naturally if you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
You need to become DVC owners... no more walk of shame, as you'll be "home" again soon!

It's great for those of us who compulsively plan Disney trips... can feed a year round obsession!
Yeah, it will be a while before I join, but I do plan on joing DVC. Even if I don't get to use is as often as I want I still can pass it on to my extended family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post

I was thinking the same thing!! I thought someone was going to start telling tales and quickly clicked on it!!!
How un-Disney would that thread be?
Yeah, I figured it would grab peoples attention. I posted this earlier but, how about renaming it "walk of sorrow" or "walk of sadness"? Uh oh?! Have we come up with a new Disney saying to start using on the boards? With the acronym WOS? Looks like I'm now a pioneer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
It took me 5 seconds to get this. I mean...I just heard about it.

Dis Dad Member #101
June 2002 - WDW, USO (Offsite), June 2004 - WDW, USO (Offsite), Feb 2007 - Disney Cruise (Wonder) & POFQ *Disneymoon*), July 2010 - POR, June 2013 - Disney Cruise (Fantasy)
kalel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

At London Gatwick airport, there's 2 walkways going in opposite directions.

One goes towards the departure gates and the other, well, you can guess ... straight to the arrivals hall.

We love walking toward the gates and looking at those sad faced people .. mwahahahaha
Weeks later, we don't like the walk
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Hmmm . . . I like walk of sorrow, but as to the other interpretation - I'm not sure it would be so "un"Disney. After all, if you remember their one commercial when the parties refer to the littlest as their "cruise souvenir."
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
kalel29
Dis Dad #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
At London Gatwick airport, there's 2 walkways going in opposite directions.

One goes towards the departure gates and the other, well, you can guess ... straight to the arrivals hall.

We love walking toward the gates and looking at those sad faced people .. mwahahahaha
Weeks later, we don't like the walk
LOL ...thats exactly what I'm talking about. The "Walk of Shame" is a double edged sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Hmmm . . . I like walk of sorrow, but as to the other interpretation - I'm not sure it would be so "un"Disney. After all, if you remember their one commercial when the parties refer to the littlest as their "cruise souvenir."
I just got done googling it. Thats hilarious! I had never seen that commercial before. Priceless. For those who haven't see it..here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrSX0gHX_8

Dis Dad Member #101
June 2002 - WDW, USO (Offsite), June 2004 - WDW, USO (Offsite), Feb 2007 - Disney Cruise (Wonder) & POFQ *Disneymoon*), July 2010 - POR, June 2013 - Disney Cruise (Fantasy)
kalel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #35
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

I am guilty..

the second we step through the Mickey Ears tunnel, over the gangplank and onboard for the greeting, I internally hear myself whispering, "the beginning of the end'. Makes me sad for a moment and then I refocus and move on. Getting off is a different story, I never look back...it would only bring tears to my eyes. The cure....plan another Disney trip ASAP!
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura24 View Post
the second we step through the Mickey Ears tunnel, over the gangplank and onboard for the greeting, I internally hear myself whispering, "the beginning of the end'.
I can't believe the comments I'm reading! Whatever happened to enjoying the moment? Happiness doesn't last but neither does misery.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
CindyFooWho
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post
Wow, I did not see where this thread was going from the title ...

The "Walk of Shame" meant something ENTIRELY different in my college years. Way different.
Yep, I thought, "someone had way more fun on their Disney cruise than I did!"
CindyFooWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #38
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Yes, but they are a married couple in the commercial. The definition, from my college years, umm...they weren't married and someone needed to walk to their dorm room in the same clothes from the night before looking a little ... unkempt. That's as Disneyfied as I can get it.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

In cruise terms, the walk of shame is also known as what people do walking (or running) up the pier because they are late in getting back to the ship
Leaving isn't the walk of shame, but the walk back to reality.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #40
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Having done the last 4 years WDW in December (and those bonus trips due to work), last year we switched instead to our first DCL - originally for November, was fast tracked to August. Planned ahead for WDW in December 2013, and DCL in December 2014...

So this xmas was miserable - "We miss Disney" was the norm... So before the year ended, and seeing Kids Sail Free out of Miami, two words to DW, and we are set to go on a 5n on the Wonder in 13 days!

Plans for 12/13 and 12/14 are still on - maybe scaled back a bit, but still on!

And YES! I feel that 'walk of shame' and see it. EVERY trip.
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #41
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

As we left Disney World at the end of our last trip my children were clutching each other and sobbing. I can't imagine how they'll be at the end of our upcoming cruise. If you're on the March 1st sailing of the Magic be sure to wave to the nice family doing the saddest walk of shame/sadness/sorrow ever.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #42
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
I can't believe the comments I'm reading! Whatever happened to enjoying the moment? Happiness doesn't last but neither does misery.
i agree...i am usually pessimistic by nature and while i'm sad the last day of the cruise i don't count down the days upon arrival...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #43
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

It happens at WDW too. :(

The day: Our departure day after 8 incredible days at WDW
The place: In front of the Animal Kingdom Villas
The players: Me and DH along with a family of 5 we have never me and probably never will

The moment of pain: Having checked our bags through AKV's airport service, we had our carry-on bags in hand as DH and I walked to the curb in front of the AKV lobby. DH gave our taxicab voucher to a cast member. I am watching as people are going various directions.

A car pulls up. The family gets out. A CM greets them. Discussion takes place I cannot hear. The mother/wife then says to the CM assisting them, "I wonder if you could check if our room is ready early by chance. I was given the room number when I called from the airport. I was told we would be in 7808."

- wait for it -

Our room we just checked out of after it being home for the last 8 days. And now it was going to be theirs. Waaaa-aaaaaaa!

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #44
allaboutdisney1967
Mouseketeer

Walk of Shame / Sorrow/ Sadness

Yes, upon receiving our last room service delivery on the last night of the 5 day/4 night cruise, reality starts to creep upon us.

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly it is a WOS. I feel a little Eeyore-esque as we walk back down the gang plank. Even though I love Eeyore and he is my idol, I still frown at the WOS.

I am a DVC member and WDW is "my home away from home". Unfortunately, not quite as often as we Disneyfiles would like.

Donna
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
I do believe it is the booking, the planning, the countdown, the anticipation and the excitement during the journey to get to that day that hits me for a few seconds and as I said then I refocus and enjoy every moment.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: