Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #136
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfionasmom
I registered with my son and my bestie and my sons best friend too. I have my son on a team with me and we are the Mighty Mellings and my friend and my sons friend are the Zippity Do Da Zuckers. I wanted to put my son and his friend together but the are both only 12 so he have to be with an adult. I think we'll probably all end up running together anyway. We are all so excited for this trip. DH and DD10 are staying home and not happy about it. This is my sons friend's first trip to Disney and the trip was both of their Christmas present. I sent them on a scavenger hunt to collect clues for their present. It was awesome. They were jumping up and down and yelling when they put all the clues together and figured out what they were doing. Now I just have to get them out running!!
I love that you did a scavenger hunt! That is very cool!

luvmygrljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #137
jaws2577
all ears

Im in

Just signed up for it on, Kinda nervous but really looking forward to it!!!!!
jaws2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #138
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Tell me about this race

I'm running the Princess Half Marathon next month and now I'm thinking about do the Everest Challenge but I'm not if I understand it. Can someone who has done this race please answer some questions.

1. What does the medal look like?

2. What does the tech shirt look like?

3. What are the obstacles?

4. Are they through the whole race just in one area?

5. What about the clues? Do you answer them along the way?

Thanks for any info.
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #139
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink2007 View Post
I'm running the Princess Half Marathon next month and now I'm thinking about do the Everest Challenge but I'm not if I understand it. Can someone who has done this race please answer some questions.

1. What does the medal look like?

2. What does the tech shirt look like?

3. What are the obstacles?

4. Are they through the whole race just in one area?

5. What about the clues? Do you answer them along the way?

Thanks for any info.
It's so much fun-- and I'm a not a serious runner! The medal is really nice-- it's a goldtown compass with the race logo embossed on the front and then you open it for the working compass. The nicest runDisney 5K bling by far. Last year it was a dark short-sleeve tech shirt with the race logo on front and the list of sponsors on the back. The obstacles are spaced throughout the course. If I remember correctly, there are 3 that are spaced about a mile apart. Last year, the first one was "hurdling" (or stepping over) a line of hay bales (only 1 bale high, and about 3 of them in a row, I think). The next was running/high stepping through tires (think football player training), and the last was as net over a sand pit that you had to shimy under-- which was purely optional. Since I was sweaty and didn't want sand sticking to me, I went the slightly longer way around the obstacle. After you finish this run portion, you are given a card with clues and you head to where it tells you to go (i.e., which land in AK). There is a cast member there who checks your answer or-- if your're particularly stumped-- will give you the answer. Once you're done with the last clue, you cross the finish line and get your medal. The run portion is timed separately, and then you get a cumulative time combinging both the run and scavenger hunt portion. Hope this helps!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #140
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Okay, so I have a few questions. My hubby and I are trying to plan our meals for that day... having a bigger than normal breakfast... and then not eating anything big after 4 or 5pm... I heard there were going to be some places open to grab food... We are new to this whole running thing and that was the suggestion of our friend who is a runner.

Any idea what is open and if our dining plan would work...? We will have a QS left to use that day and was thinking about grabbing something to eat after the race.

Saratoga Springs October 2011
Old Key West June 2012
Expedition Everest 5k May 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014 & Disneyland 2014 Avengers 1/2 Marathon
Carissa 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #141
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa 80 View Post
Okay, so I have a few questions. My hubby and I are trying to plan our meals for that day... having a bigger than normal breakfast... and then not eating anything big after 4 or 5pm... I heard there were going to be some places open to grab food... We are new to this whole running thing and that was the suggestion of our friend who is a runner.

Any idea what is open and if our dining plan would work...? We will have a QS left to use that day and was thinking about grabbing something to eat after the race.
Everyone's system and routine is different. That being said, having dinner at 4pm and then not eating again until possibly midnight is a long stretch. In reality you will be doing almost 10K--5K as a race and 5K as a scavenger hunt. I would use the same suggestions and tips as I would for a longer distance event.

"Don't try new things on race day. 5K isn't a terribly long distance, but if you are wearing brand new shoes for the event because they look nice and you get blisters or they rub your feet raw, you'll be miserable. Same goes with a costume. Giant Mickey hands and ear are a cute costume; but, will you be saying that after the race?
"Don't eat too out of your 'zone'. If you are used to eating an hour before you go out for a run, try to stick close to your schedule. Also on race day, try to eat familiar foods, or food that will not upset your stomach. I eat Thai food regularly before I run. If I eat oatmeal or yogurt, I end up heaving on the side of the road after a couple miles.
"Remember to refuel. Stay hydrated and rebuild your nutrients your used during the race.

I want to say Restrauntasaurus was open after the race last year? I ate my banana and drank my water and rode Kali River Rapids four times to cool off. It was HOT. If a restaurant accepts the dining plan during normal park hours, it should accept it after park hours for a Disney event/party.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #142
sjlupin
Mouseketeer

Restaurantasaurus was definitely open - DS and I ate there after the race the last 2 years. I'm sure we will again. He is STARTVING after the race.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #143
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Don't forget that the first price increase goes into effect tomorrow. If you're on the fence save some cash and register now.

I finally did.

Race is showing at 65% full.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #144
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
Everyone's system and routine is different. That being said, having dinner at 4pm and then not eating again until possibly midnight is a long stretch. In reality you will be doing almost 10K--5K as a race and 5K as a scavenger hunt. I would use the same suggestions and tips as I would for a longer distance event.

"Don't try new things on race day. 5K isn't a terribly long distance, but if you are wearing brand new shoes for the event because they look nice and you get blisters or they rub your feet raw, you'll be miserable. Same goes with a costume. Giant Mickey hands and ear are a cute costume; but, will you be saying that after the race?
"Don't eat too out of your 'zone'. If you are used to eating an hour before you go out for a run, try to stick close to your schedule. Also on race day, try to eat familiar foods, or food that will not upset your stomach. I eat Thai food regularly before I run. If I eat oatmeal or yogurt, I end up heaving on the side of the road after a couple miles.
"Remember to refuel. Stay hydrated and rebuild your nutrients your used during the race.

I want to say Restrauntasaurus was open after the race last year? I ate my banana and drank my water and rode Kali River Rapids four times to cool off. It was HOT. If a restaurant accepts the dining plan during normal park hours, it should accept it after park hours for a Disney event/party.
Thank you SO much!!! I am really new to all of this... so I'm glad that I have plenty of time to figure out my eating and get my shoes broken in too!

Old Key West June 2012
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #145
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa 80 View Post
Thank you SO much!!! I am really new to all of this... so I'm glad that I have plenty of time to figure out my eating and get my shoes broken in too!
I forgot the most important one:

Have Fun!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #146
jaws2577
all ears

Came up with our team name so if ya see us say hi

TEAM Are We There Yeti?
jaws2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #147
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws2577 View Post
came up with our team name so if ya see us say hi

team are we there yeti?
love.it.

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #148
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws2577

TEAM Are We There Yeti?
That's awesome!!
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D
princessfionasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #149
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws2577

TEAM Are We There Yeti?
Awesome!!!

luvmygrljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #150
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws2577 View Post

TEAM Are We There Yeti?
Nice!!!

We are a group of 5 maybe 6.... but we are all signing up as individuals... but we are planning on matching shirts... (I hope that's okay!?) We aren't in it to win... just to get healthy and motivate one another. I believe we will be wearing blue tanks that say Calvary on the back! I am so excited.... although training is slow and steady for a big girl. BUT I'm doing it!!!

Old Key West June 2012

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: