Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Also, you have to be 10 for the Edge, right? DS will turn 10 on April 24, but our cruise is April 16-20th so he will be a tad shy of 10, so he CAN'T go with his big sister, right? Thx.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Has this changed? Because shoreside concierge told me my DD could go back and forth? She turns 11 in Feb (our cruise is in April). I was told that DD could go with her 3 siblings one day and to the Edge the next. I really hope so. I don't know how much she is going to want to be in the Edge, but I would love it if she could keep an eye on the younger set as I have one who will probably cry at drop off if her big sis isn't there with her. (Of course I could not have her go, but I think she would be happy if big DD was there and that would allow DH and I to at least have dinner at Palo one night!)
Unfortunately there is mis-information provided shoreside. While it MAY be allowed for a child in the overlap to utilize both club spaces (in this case, Lab and Edge) - it is not guaranteed. For every poster who has indicated their child was allowed back-and-forth, there's a poster who will report their child had to make a choice and stick with it. The recommendation is that if your child MIGHT like the Edge, then he/she should attend the meeting on the first night when the programming for the cruise is discussed and planned. After that, if he/she doesn't like what was discussed/planned, he/she can opt down to the lower Club/Lab. If they miss this planning session, they may feel left out and not make good connection with the others.

Essentially, don't expect any age child will be allowed access to multiple kids clubs. It may be allowed based on the capacity and demographics of your particular cruise, but it may not.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Also, you have to be 10 for the Edge, right? DS will turn 10 on April 24, but our cruise is April 16-20th so he will be a tad shy of 10, so he CAN'T go with his big sister, right? Thx.
Officially, the EDGE is for 11-14. There are reports of 10-yr-olds allowed to move up but don't expect it to happen, particularly if not quite 10 yet.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
NurseAmyD
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
REALLY hoping that they have too many kids on our spring break cruise to let the 10 yos in the Edge!!! DS14 really wants to go to the Edge, and he is in the posted age group for it, but if there are a bunch of 10 yos running around that will probably change.
Unfortunately, my 10 year old feels the same way about the Lab -- doesn't want to be in a place where a bunch of 3 year olds are running around (much bigger age difference than 10 to 14). So, he will probably be asking to move up into the Edge so that he can be with kids closer to his own age. His 12 year old sister will also be in the Edge, which will help at the beginning, though I am sure they will make their own friends and move in different circles once things get going.

Hopefully, your 14 year old will find friends his own age and be able to ignore the fact that younger kids are there too.

Amy
NurseAmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Unfortunately there is mis-information provided shoreside. While it MAY be allowed for a child in the overlap to utilize both club spaces (in this case, Lab and Edge) - it is not guaranteed. For every poster who has indicated their child was allowed back-and-forth, there's a poster who will report their child had to make a choice and stick with it. The recommendation is that if your child MIGHT like the Edge, then he/she should attend the meeting on the first night when the programming for the cruise is discussed and planned. After that, if he/she doesn't like what was discussed/planned, he/she can opt down to the lower Club/Lab. If they miss this planning session, they may feel left out and not make good connection with the others.

Essentially, don't expect any age child will be allowed access to multiple kids clubs. It may be allowed based on the capacity and demographics of your particular cruise, but it may not.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you for the heads up on that and for letting me know about the almost 10 year olds! I am thinking I might just have her pick OC/OL this time. That way they are together. I am not sure how much time any of them will really be in there but I would hate it if she wanted to be with her siblings at some point during the trip, and then couldn't because she picked the Edge to be in. Luckily she is pretty mellow and likes most younger kid stuff. I just thought it sounded nice to know she could choice on a given day but that sounds like I probably got misinformed. OR that it COULD happen but also could not. I am thankful to know that now so we can be prepared. Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post

Enjoy your cruise!
Last August on the Dream, my then DS11.5 wasn't sure about Edge (nor were we). So we went in steps - First Lab, then added check in/out. By the 2nd day he wanted to try Edge, so he did, and he enjoyed it and had a blast.

All this time, he kept his wristband in case he wanted to go back to Lab. We asked about this, and were told there was no problem.

He never went back to Lab in the end, except for the last day to return the wristband...

My .02...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
collsander
Earning My Ears

I am new to the boards and this is my first post. We were on the Jan 12 sailing of the Fantasy. I have two boys age 9(almost 10) and 11 (almost 12). I was concerned that my sometimes shy 11 year old would not want to go to the Edge since he would not know anyone there. I thought he might want to stay with his brother. When we arrived at check-in, I spoke to the CM at the youth activities desk and I was told that my son could do both, but he would have to remove his Mickey Band (required for The Lab) before entering. We went ahead and registered him, got the Mickey band and once we were on board went to the open house at The Edge. I was so wrong, he loved The Edge removed his Mickey Band and spent many many hours there.

My 9 year old enjoyed his time in the Lab but was disappointed he could not go to The Edge. There was another family that inquired about having their son who would be 11 in 2 weeks go to the Edge and he was told no.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
collsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

My 11 year old loved the Edge. We were on the Magic in June and he had just turned 11 at the end of April. He went to the meeting on the first night and made some friends and he hung out with them all week.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
A 9 yo will not be allowed to go to the Edge at all by any reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collsander View Post
..... When we arrived at check-in, I spoke to the CM at the youth activities desk and I was told that my son could do both, but he would have to remove his Mickey Band (required for The Lab) before entering. ....My 9 year old enjoyed his time in the Lab but was disappointed he could not go to The Edge. There was another family that inquired about having their son who would be 11 in 2 weeks go to the Edge and he was told no.
Just one example of the inconsistency of rules being applied based on which cruise you are on.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran

While I know it's not popular on these boards, I do have my fingers crossed for an age-up on our upcoming cruise. We have a 12-year-old boy, an 11-year-old DD, and her almost 11-year-old BFF going with us on this trip. All three have made friends with other kids going on our cruise that range from 11-13 years old. We will be very disappointed if DD's BFF can't stay together with her in the Edge. They are in the same class at school, and clearly are not having trouble connecting with the 12 and 13 year olds on our cruise meet board.

We have told DD that if her BFF is not allowed to go to The Edge, they will both stay in the Lab. But then they won't really be able to hang out with their new DisMeet friends. I imagine they will do a lot more hanging out by the pool or the cabin, instead of in constructive activities in the Lab or Edge if they are not allowed to go to the Edge. We'd definitely be disappointed, but they'll survive.

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
momto2girls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAmyD View Post
Unfortunately, my 10 year old feels the same way about the Lab -- doesn't want to be in a place where a bunch of 3 year olds are running around (much bigger age difference than 10 to 14). So, he will probably be asking to move up into the Edge so that he can be with kids closer to his own age. His 12 year old sister will also be in the Edge, which will help at the beginning, though I am sure they will make their own friends and move in different circles once things get going.

Hopefully, your 14 year old will find friends his own age and be able to ignore the fact that younger kids are there too.

Amy
My younger DD turns 10 on our cruise in April. If offered the opportunity, she would jump at the chance to go to the Edge with her 12 year old sister. I am not expecting it though and understand that they have to cut the age limits somewhere. There is no way that she will go into the Lab though, and I can't blame her! I understand that it is way too babyish for her, so she is in the limbo right now as there is no kids club right for her.

On our last cruise in September 2012, DD9 absolutely refused to go into the Lab. It was our 5th Disney cruise and by then she realized that she had definitely outgrown it. Actually, she figured it out on the cruise prior (February 2012). We convinced her to sign up for the Lab, but she went twice for about 1/2 hour each and immediately signed herself out and said she was done.

It's a bit of a bummer that she doesn't "fit" anywhere this time, especially considering it is her birthday cruise, but I'm sure she will still have fun.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
My younger DD turns 10 on our cruise in April. If offered the opportunity, she would jump at the chance to go to the Edge with her 12 year old sister. I am not expecting it though and understand that they have to cut the age limits somewhere. There is no way that she will go into the Lab though, and I can't blame her! I understand that it is way too babyish for her, so she is in the limbo right now as there is no kids club right for her.

On our last cruise in September 2012, DD9 absolutely refused to go into the Lab. It was our 5th Disney cruise and by then she realized that she had definitely outgrown it. Actually, she figured it out on the cruise prior (February 2012). We convinced her to sign up for the Lab, but she went twice for about 1/2 hour each and immediately signed herself out and said she was done.

It's a bit of a bummer that she doesn't "fit" anywhere this time, especially considering it is her birthday cruise, but I'm sure she will still have fun.
DD had a lot of bad cruises at lab age, and that was before the tween group or any overlap. It's a tough age for them to quickly make friends However, part of the problem of a 10 year old not "fitting" is the issue of moving them up. The more they allow move up of kids who aren't totally at the overlap age, the more their correct age program becomes "dummed down." And then the older kid program gets too babyish for the correct age kids there.....Oh well......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

What's wrong with playing by the rules? If you have a kid in the overlap age area, choose a club. If they don't meet the age requirement, they go in the club they are eligible for.

Life ain't fair, sometimes.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
What's wrong with playing by the rules? If you have a kid in the overlap age area, choose a club. If they don't meet the age requirement, they go in the club they are eligible for.

Life ain't fair, sometimes.
I don't have a problem "playing by the rules" and picking a club but that isn't what I was told. I think that is where the confusion is coming in. A CM actually told me over the phone that my DD was lucky because she could go back and forth. I didn't ask. It was unsolicited advice. If it isn't true, that is fine, but then it really should be black and white for those of us who are easily confused by CMs telling us conflicting information.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't have a problem "playing by the rules" and picking a club but that isn't what I was told. I think that is where the confusion is coming in. A CM actually told me over the phone that my DD was lucky because she could go back and forth. I didn't ask. It was unsolicited advice. If it isn't true, that is fine, but then it really should be black and white for those of us who are easily confused by CMs telling us conflicting information.
Sorry for the snippy post.

But, one of the first things that we learn here is that the CMs on the phone really don't know about how things work on the cruises, indeed, some of them have never been on any cruise, much less Disney. If you call and ask the same question of 4 different CMs, most likely you'll get 4 different replies.

I would set my (whatever age) child up with the information as to what the ages are for each club and which one(s) they would be able to check out the first night. IMO, it's a good time to make the point that growing up involves choices. "You can go into Edge or Lab because you are 11, but you must pick one". That way, if the CMs onboard are allowing crossovers, all the better, if that's what your child wants.

I agree allowing younger than specified ages to "go up" is making the various club levels not as attractive to those on the higher end of each club.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: