Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World > Camping Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Williamsburg Campground Recommendation

Anyone know a good campground in the Williamsburg, VA area?
We're hoping to head down there over July 4th. Hope we're not too late!
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
PolynesianPixie
Creating my own fairy tale reality, one day at a time! I'm a freakin' carnival!
I'll even call you a slob or a butt head or something if that helps!

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want trees and nature, then I recommend the Newport News Campground. It has a stocked lake for fishing, boating and such. Lots of trails, archery, playgrounds...that kind of thing. The sites aren't especially level and the bath houses aren't as clean as the fort, but we like it. I'd prefer to be surrounded by green and parked near the lake myself.

http://www.nnparks.com/parks_nn.php

If you want level, paved sites then check out American Heritage RV park.

http://www.americanheritagervpark.com/

Both of these campgrounds are close to the historic triangle and bush gardens. Anyplace you go though, you may have some train noise to contend with. Neither of these is as bad as the Anvil campground which sits a bit too close to the tracks, so I'd stay away from that one.

Hope this helps! Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to visit! In fact, I'll be there in a couple weeks, so if you want any info I can try to get it for you!

Writer for The Disney Driven Life http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/author/ndm381/

Check out my blog: http://faithtrustandpixiedusted.blogspot.com/ and Disney Goddess
@DisneyAmiBE on Twitter
PolynesianPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPixie View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want trees and nature, then I recommend the Newport News Campground. It has a stocked lake for fishing, boating and such. Lots of trails, archery, playgrounds...that kind of thing. The sites aren't especially level and the bath houses aren't as clean as the fort, but we like it. I'd prefer to be surrounded by green and parked near the lake myself.

http://www.nnparks.com/parks_nn.php

If you want level, paved sites then check out American Heritage RV park.

http://www.americanheritagervpark.com/

Both of these campgrounds are close to the historic triangle and bush gardens. Anyplace you go though, you may have some train noise to contend with. Neither of these is as bad as the Anvil campground which sits a bit too close to the tracks, so I'd stay away from that one.

Hope this helps! Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to visit! In fact, I'll be there in a couple weeks, so if you want any info I can try to get it for you!
This is perfect! Thanks. I'll look into them this weekend with the hubby. If I have any questions, we'll definitely ask.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
LarryJ
Dedicated FW 1600 "Looper"

We're going there from May 19th to June 3rd and have ressies at American Heritage. There is one closer and a little cheaper and I can't remember it's name, but it evidently backs to train tracks and is really a bad choice if you want to sleep. Ah yes that one is the Anvil CG.

If you're going over the 4th make ressies now for American Heritage since it's not that large of a CG.

Larry

DL-73,75,76,78,80,81,04; WDW-71,77,FW-85,86,87,89,90/91,91,93/94,94,95/96,96, 98,00/01,04/05,07/08,08,09,10/11 Next trip Dec 10, 2014 to Feb 2015 -Premium site all the way Our Rig: 2001 E350 w/7.3 PSD/4.10 rear towing a 2007 HR Aluma Lite 8306S. CLICK HERE FOR MY TRAILER MODS
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
We're going there from May 19th to June 3rd and have ressies at American Heritage. There is one closer and a little cheaper and I can't remember it's name, but it evidently backs to train tracks and is really a bad choice if you want to sleep. Ah yes that one is the Anvil CG.

If you're going over the 4th make ressies now for American Heritage since it's not that large of a CG.

Larry
That's what I'm thinking too.
I'll definitely check out American Heritage on line tomorrow! Thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
MandMLUVMMandDVC
DIS Veteran

I'm agreeing with Larry. Went to Anvil a few years ago & didn't get much sleep. It was a pretty place, but noisy.
MandMLUVMMandDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
JCJRSmith
US Navy Veteran

When we lived down in the Tidewater area we used to camp at the Newport News City Park campground. Absolutely wonderful place.

Our first excursion after we got our motorhome was to Williamsburg and we stayed at the KOA. We were very happy with it.

Here is our site there:

It made for a great base camp for trips to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
rapriebe
Guess nobody is safe!!
Not really so quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post

Larry
Larry,
We will probably see ya there. We usually try to go over the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. We are also going to head over at the end of the month. Gotta get one more trip in while they still have the Winter rate special that ends March 31.

First visit to WDW 1989 and then discovered FW in 2001.
Many, many visits to FW since then.
rapriebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
LarryJ
Dedicated FW 1600 "Looper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapriebe View Post
Larry,
We will probably see ya there. We usually try to go over the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. We are also going to head over at the end of the month. Gotta get one more trip in while they still have the Winter rate special that ends March 31.

Stop by and say hi. We were going to do the 45 day Fl. trip, but decided to do that next spring. We just got back from FW on 5 Feb and head out again in early Oct again for FW and trying to do another 45+ day trip between those two was pushing it a little

Since we've now lived only 4 hrs from Williamsburg for the past 26 1/2 yrs. and have never gone we thought it was about time. .

Larry

DL-73,75,76,78,80,81,04; WDW-71,77,FW-85,86,87,89,90/91,91,93/94,94,95/96,96, 98,00/01,04/05,07/08,08,09,10/11 Next trip Dec 10, 2014 to Feb 2015 -Premium site all the way Our Rig: 2001 E350 w/7.3 PSD/4.10 rear towing a 2007 HR Aluma Lite 8306S. CLICK HERE FOR MY TRAILER MODS
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
shafke
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJRSmith View Post
When we lived down in the Tidewater area we used to camp at the Newport News City Park campground. Absolutely wonderful place.

Our first excursion after we got our motorhome was to Williamsburg and we stayed at the KOA. We were very happy with it.

It made for a great base camp for trips to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA.
We stayed at that KOA in 2008 in one of the cabins. It was nice but the cabins are starting to show some age... AC not as good as it could be. I would stay there again if we were in the area.
Wilderness Lodge: Oct '02
Carribean Beach: Apr '05
Polynesian Resort: Aug '07
Fort Wilderness Cabins: Aug '10
Paradise Pier: Feb '13

My Disney Pics on SmugMug

The sky is blue because any other color would be stupid.
shafke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Serene1
Earning My Ears

Another vote for American Heritage. We stayed there last Spring Break and went to Busch Gardens. We're staying there again this year for Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, and Jamestown.
Serene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Finally got around to making reservations. We are all booked for American Heritage. I was willing to go for the state park in Newport News but DH decided on American Heritage.
Price wasn't took bad and we get an AARP discount. He joined at 50 and we're saving a bundle on certain things. At first he was embarassed and now he is like "Make sure you get the discount!!"

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
DaveInTN
I'm Not The Castle Guy

Hey Eeyore'sthebest....I have several photos of American Heritage in my webshots page per the "Our Travel Photos" link in my signature. Nice campground.
DaveInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInTN View Post
Hey Eeyore'sthebest....I have several photos of American Heritage in my webshots page per the "Our Travel Photos" link in my signature. Nice campground.
Oh cool. I'll take a look when I get home. Dang work filter doesn't let me do the fun stuff while I'm here. Guess they know me too well.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
kazlac4
Mouseketeer

Last September we stayed at the Williamsburg KOA and were very pleasantly surprised. We didn't hear any trains at all nearby. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The place is older but well kept. There were go-cart type bikes available for kids to ride, the pool was still open and there is a free pancake breakfast on Sunday a.m. Our dog loved the dog park. FYI, there are two parts to this campground I believe they used to be two separate CGs but then merged. We stayed on the Colonial side. We would return again! Check out Tripadvisor for reviews if possible.

This is a pic of our site:

This is looking towards the pool:
2006 - All Star Movies
2009 - Fort Wilderness
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - All Star Movies
2013 - Fort Wilderness
kazlac4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: