Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Expedition Everest Challenge?

Has anybody ever done it?
Can a 40 something, out of shape, but wants to get in shape survive it?

My company's health insurance offers incentives for "being healthy". In the past we have just participated in online seminars, quizzes, and honor system get healthy challenges.... but this year... to earn your $$$ you have to meet certain criteria. One of them being a BMI in the healthy range or a 2% change with online/phone coaching..... its worth $200 into my HSA

So... I gotta make some changes but needed an incentive.... and I stumbled across the Expedition Everest Challenge..... OK... combine my love of DISNEY and get healthy.... HUMMMM.... seems like a good plan, but I am REALLY out of shape and my BMI, well I am past "morbid obesity" so I think I must be dead and just dont know it..... no really, I know I need to try harder to get healthy. (but just saying for a 40 something, mother of 3, who works night shift, and is 5 feet tall..... 95-110 lbs is unrealistic to maintain)

The run sounds fun but I dont want to kill myself on my first attempt....

So how about it.... Any runners out there? Anybody else think I've lost my marbles?
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
missmary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Has anybody ever done it?
Can a 40 something, out of shape, but wants to get in shape survive it?

My company's health insurance offers incentives for "being healthy". In the past we have just participated in online seminars, quizzes, and honor system get healthy challenges.... but this year... to earn your $$$ you have to meet certain criteria. One of them being a BMI in the healthy range or a 2% change with online/phone coaching..... its worth $200 into my HSA

So... I gotta make some changes but needed an incentive.... and I stumbled across the Expedition Everest Challenge..... OK... combine my love of DISNEY and get healthy.... HUMMMM.... seems like a good plan, but I am REALLY out of shape and my BMI, well I am past "morbid obesity" so I think I must be dead and just dont know it..... no really, I know I need to try harder to get healthy. (but just saying for a 40 something, mother of 3, who works night shift, and is 5 feet tall..... 95-110 lbs is unrealistic to maintain)

The run sounds fun but I dont want to kill myself on my first attempt....

So how about it.... Any runners out there? Anybody else think I've lost my marbles?
I just finished the Goofy Challenge two weeks ago. 39.3 miles plus a 5k over 3 days. Lots of fun.

But, I started running last February, so I only trained for 11 months. I say do it. There's nothing like a looming race in your future to get you motivated to train. Look on the runDisney Web site, there are lots of free training programs by Jeff Galloway. He uses a run/walk method that is great for beginners. Get a "Couch to 5k" app and start there.

Also, I would highly recommend a training buddy, even if they are far away, who can keep you motivated either in person or online. Doing a race with a friend is much more fun than alone.

Everest looks so much fun! If I could swing another trip to Disney I'd be signing up for that one or the Tower of Terror 10 miler!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
loislane
DIS Veteran

You haven't lost your marbles at all! I went from 225 pounds to 145-150 and have maintained the loss for 1.5 years so far. And went from never exercising to running four 5Ks that first year. Very do-able. And once you get out and do an event, you will see there are athletes of all sizes and speeds. No one cares how you look. No one cares if you're fast or slow. Everyone will support you because you are out doing it!

A program like Couch to 5K is a great way to ease your way into running. And you can repeat weeks to stretch out the program as long as you need to.

8/18/13-8/29/13 Fort Wilderness
8/21/11-8/27/11 Pop Century
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

I am so with you! I just turned 31... and I am also in the morbidly obese category! We have two friends who are running this 5k. We realized we had a family wedding to go to that week, so decided that we could get the wedding in AND do the 5k!!!! So we are signing up! (DH is all ready... I'm signing up soon!) I have started training using a couch to 5k... I feel a little stronger, but there are days that self-doubt definitely creeps in!!! I hear that there are a lot of walkers... but I don't want to walk the whole thing. I figure that the 16 minute mile pace isn't too hard to keep. I'm going to train for one more week and then go out and time myself doing a 5k... just to see what my pace would be. You can do it!!! .....You are SO right... what is better than combining getting healthy with a love for Disney!!!

Saratoga Springs October 2011
Old Key West June 2012
Expedition Everest 5k May 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014 & Disneyland 2014 Avengers 1/2 Marathon
Carissa 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
jpolak
DIS Veteran

Do it!! Dw started running using the couch to 5k app so I gave it a try. Now I'm training for for first 1/2 marathon in may.
7/77-Fort Wilderness Campground, 10/96-All Star Sports, 6/98-Dixie Landings, 6/99-All Star Movies, 8/01-Port Orleans FQ, 4/04-Pop Century, 10/05-Beach Club Villas, 8/06-Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, 2/07- Saratoga Springs, 9/07- Boardwalk Villas, 2/09 Old Key West, 12/09 Boardwalk Villas,8/11 Bay Lake Tower,8/12 Bay Lake Tower,8/13 Bay Lake Tower
MeDWDDDS DD
jpolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the encouragement. Once upon a time I was a competative gymnast so I know I used to be in shape and there are muscles under there somewhere- lol- So... training begins

PS.. I called myself a 40 something but I am actually closer to 50 than 40...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
SwimBikeRun
Mouseketeer

Absolutely doable. Use the C25K program and don't be afraid to repeat a week or two if it's too hard. Week 4 is especially challenging. You can get free podcasts to help you with the timing. Galloway is great. I like the psychological impact. Running 1 mile 13 times seems FAR easy then running 13 miles straight.

You can do it!
SwimBikeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Loralei
Earning My Ears

I did this race last year & it was a lot of fun. My husband got into running a couple of years ago & has been trying to motivate me to join him. As of last January, I didn't run at all. I would walk a couple of miles every few weeks, but that was about it. We signed up for the Everest Challenge as motivation for me, & I started Couch to 5K to prepare for it. I didn't stick with the full program, but found the intervals that worked best for me & kept going at that and adding more & more distance...and a couple of weeks ago I completed my first 1/2 marathon (Disney of course!). So, I say, if this race would give you the incentive you need to get in better shape, then go for it!

One thing to note...if it is the same format this year, you'll end up walking/running about 4-5 miles by the time you complete the 5K & then go back into the park for the scavenger hunt. So, plan for that in your training.

When I did it, the obstacles (at each mile marker) were hay bales on sand that you had to step/jump over (came up to about mid-shin). Tires to walk through & a cargo net to crawl under (over astroturf...which was not kind to the knees!). They try to corral you with other people who will be doing a similar pace. So, you can take your time with the obstacles if you need to.

One tip, if you can avoid it...don't check a bag. My husband & I didn't take anything we couldn't carry with us on the race so that we didn't have to bother with it & were so glad when we finished the race, rode everest a few times & wandered around the park for about an hour or so before we headed back to the resort & the bag pick up line was HUGE & slow moving the entire time.

Congrats on taking the first step and good luck!
Loralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Good for you for wanting to get fit and start running!!

Come join us over here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2370270. We are all in varying stages of the C25k program and are a very supportive little group right now!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Day 1., Workout 1 couch to 5k, complete..... who knew 30 seconds was so long. I did get tired at the end and had to walk more than jog. But, hey its a start. My lower legs were tired and muscles were tight but I didnt feel winded so thats good I think.

This is also a trial run for my "boo-boo" foot. For about a year now I have been trying to heal a broken big toe... It is better but just hurts from time to time. So far, seems to be holding up pretty good.

So I am going to jump over to the above mentioned thread. Thanks for all of you support.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: