Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #3181
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
ETA: also any suggestions post dinner? Yeehaw bob sounds great - just not sure if the kids are too young?
Pool sounds like a plan. The main pool can be a bit noisy in the afternoon - but it's great for the kids though! How about a boat or cycle rental if it's not too chilly?

Don't forget Bob only plays Weds-Sat, if you're planning on going to see him.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #3182
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus
2 more sleeps
Forecast for here tomorrow is 3-5cm of snow, followed by freezing rain & ice pellets followed by rain. Forecast for Orlando on our arrival day: 82 & sunny
Yes! It's beautiful here!!! You're going to have a blast!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #3183
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

The more I read from Andre and Venom, the more excited I get for our first trip to POR. We have stayed at the French Quarter in the past, but the Riverside will be a new experience for us. June cannot get here fast enough. Thank you guys for the wealth of informantion presented here!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #3184
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus
Assuming no flight delays, we should be @ POR tomorrow around noon-ish?? So what should we do on our 1st day there? We have dinner rez @ Chef Mickey for 5:15 (we are driving ourselves) so for the afternoon?? Assume hit the pool?

Also have to figure out a way to get to the rooms before DH & the kids so i can put some little gift bags in there for everyone

ETA: also any suggestions post dinner? Yeehaw bob sounds great - just not sure if the kids are too young?
Our first night (Friday) we hit DTD and walked around, shopped a bit and it was fun! Nice way to start the vacay.

Jan/Feb 2013 at POR

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #3185
JStiffler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgenew1
We are staying in a Royal Room for the first time for our anniv. Does the resort offer anything I could have delivered to the room for husband? In the past I have done the chocolate monorail at the Contemp, a box of chocolates at Wilderness. Something along those lines. The whole cake thing is too crazy for me and Disney Florist doesn't seem to have manly options.

Thanks for any suggestions.
One of my g/f's sent me a box of chocolate covered fruit from Edible Arrangements when we stayed at POR this past Oct. It had chocolate covered bananas, apples, and strawberries in the box. Fit perfectly in the fridge.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3186
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

So, this isn't a POR-specific question, but... any ideas about places to AVOID while the Super Bowl is on (we arrive this Sunday). We have no interest in watching it and don't want to get caught up in a football crowd. Would DTD be somewhere to avoid, or do you think most people would be at ESPN Club on the Boardwalk?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3187
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

Staying at POR mid May for my sons birthday, celebrating my daughters from April as well. We will most likely exclusively use our big double stroller. Both my kids are small in size, my daughter will be 4, and even though my son is 7 he gets worn out easily due to a blood thing he has (his body stays busy destroying blood cells and remaking them to keep up). I wasn't going to make a request, hoping for birthday magic I guess! LoL but one thing i think we'll find difficult is top floor in AB (large stroller+stairs+2 tired kids=camping out in the bayou! Lol) So should I wait and see if we get top floor at check in and then request bottom or mansions or make a pre fax request of just no top floor in AB? There are only 4 of us (my moms traveling to help me) so I assume we might be in mansions anyway? 1 reason I didn't want to request (other than hoping for magic) was during our last trip I requested things at "Sports" and didn't get that but got upgraded to preferred instead and had a wonderful so very convenient location! Better than my request ever dreamed of being! LoL
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #3188
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

To the PP who asked about Anniversary surprises...

go to www.disneyflorist.com

They have GREAT gifts they can deliver to your room for you. Often, you have to call and give them your room number once you check in (I always try to in secret so it's still a surprise.) I LOVE to order Mickey's Kool Snack when we go. It's a surprisingly large amount of snacks + the cute cooler, and it's not that pricey! (At least for Disney standards ) I think you can only place your order online if you're 30 days out from your delivery date.

On this same note......
In the past when we've stayed for our Anniversary I've ordered Disney cakes to be sent to our room. We had a Disney wedding, so I always try to get the same cake (mini version, of course ) that we had at our wedding The times I've done this, however, we've stayed at The Grand or the Boardwalk (both which have their own bakeries.) Is this something that can be done at POR, or not since they don't have a bakery? Thanks!!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3189
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
Just got through all 210 pages of this thread! Thank you so much to all who post comments and replies, I've had a ton of questions answered just by reading! we leave in 9 days and I'm starting to get really nervous, not about the hotel at all, but just making sure we do a ton of fun stuff without making everyone cranky. My mother, mil, fil, dh, dd2, ds5 are all going to be there so a huge age range. I'm planning a midday break everyday as well as a stroller for the littles. My husband is questioning the stroller for ds, what do you experts think? He's a trooper, but not used to crazy mileage. Thanks!:
As others have said, bring or rent a stroller!!! I actually just purchased one for my son (who will be 5 on our trip). When we got home in 2011, we put his stroller out on the curb. Knowing I would need one for this trip, I just went on Craiglist one day and scored one for $40!!!! And it originally cost the lady abut $300. I couldn't believe my luck. So....it's sitting in the boys' closet until we leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMason View Post
I never post, but read the forums almost every day, and just wanted to pop in to say hi and thank you to everyone who has posted their tips and advice here, especially andre and venom.

I leave on Saturday for my first trip to Disney in almost 15 years. I'm traveling with my 2 and 5 year old kids, my mom and dad, and my sister is meeting us there. We can't wait!

Thanks again to everyone for all the great information. We can't wait to stay at POR!
Congrats and have a safe trip!!!! Oh....and

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #3190
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

On the clock and PMs returned.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #3191
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quick question! Here now and noticed the quiet pool by building 17 did not have a hot tub. Do any of the POR quiet pools have one?

Jan/Feb 2013 at POR

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #3192
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
Quick question! Here now and noticed the quiet pool by building 17 did not have a hot tub. Do any of the POR quiet pools have one?
No the only hot tub is by the Big Pool. Sorry.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #3193
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch

No the only hot tub is by the Big Pool. Sorry.
Thanks! Everybody has sore feet and I was hoping there might be another one hiding somewhere; this family isn't used to rope drop and staying in parks all day.

We did do the big pool today and it was GREAT. Everyone loved it, especially the slide!

Jan/Feb 2013 at POR

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #3194
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Coming out of lurkdom...I'll be at POR in May! It's been over 10 years since I've stayed there and I fondly remember it. I can't wait!!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #3195
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
So, this isn't a POR-specific question, but... any ideas about places to AVOID while the Super Bowl is on (we arrive this Sunday). We have no interest in watching it and don't want to get caught up in a football crowd. Would DTD be somewhere to avoid, or do you think most people would be at ESPN Club on the Boardwalk?

Thanks!
The resort lounges will be playing the Super Bowl; there will be crowds trying to get into the ESPN Club at BW and most likely the bars at DTD will be playing it as well.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: