Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I'm not sure how far the "planning" went for the WDW monorail system, but there is an easement listed for a monorail right of way that is included n the legal paper work for SSR owners. So at one time, it was surveyed out and legal easement documented as part of the the old Disney Village Resort property. When that property was repurposed as SSR the easement remained part of the legal property. Likely it will never be built, but the easement it still on the books.
I noticed that too...i actually read the damn thing when i bought it.

I think that's in ALL DVC contracts...definitely OKW and Boardwalk...and if i remember the story correctly...the reason they didn't bump it over to wilderness lodge was beyond stupid: built as a moderate and the peasants weren't paying enough for the choo choo

They have always kept that option open. the epcot expansion does make it an enticing concept...as most of the "center" property development is tightly clustered...

but the rubber always meets the road and they back down for cost.

It should go like this:

Disney gets US DOT or FLA to give grants or bonds so they can rework their bridge systems and allow for ground rail. Tie in solar power, mag lev, or some other electrical system that makes it a pilot program.

Disney install ground rail to compliment monorial and boat service.

disney eventually goes entirely to ground rail when nobody cares about monorails and boats anymore (they may not too much now...actually)

The main problem with my theory is that animal kingdom makes this plan almost impossible...huge habitats with rhinos and tigers everywhere and no really way to go through.

come to think of it...they should shut animal kingdom and knock it down...too many problems.
and you can never see the lions on the safari ride anyway.

I could see them putting a spur over to wilderness/ft wilderness...not to big of a gap to cover...
and they would be wise to put saratoga and perhaps okw on the epcot line if at all possible...saratoga is going to be a continual occupancy problem for DVC...because it was a tremendously stupid idea on a failed site.
monorail negates that - but at a steep cost.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
SteveDude
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
disney eventually goes entirely to ground rail when nobody cares about monorails and boats anymore (they may not too much now...actually)
I think I speak for a good portion of people when I say I would shed actual tears if the Monorail disappeared. I wouldn't miss the boats, but with so much water connecting pieces of the property it would be foolish to lose them.
SteveDude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar
Plenty? Any?

What "resources already provided" show a monorail through World Showcase to Downtown Disney?

Either I'm missing something, or there's not real such proof here.

The Yesterland article includes a photo of a model with elevated tracks and small monorails or some sort of new People Mover on those tracks. But there's nothing about a route through World Showcase.
Then you are correct. There isn't any.

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10 View Post
Firstly I know there is no realistic chance or a monorail expansion. I was just wondering if the rumor that footings were put down for a potential station to service DHS and beyond was put down by Disney back in the day. I heard this I think on these boards and am merely curious to hear of this was true or not.

I always laugh when I read the same thing over and over....the Monorail is to *expensive*...................In the last 5 years the costs of monorials have come down big time..........certantly in the range of presenting the possibleity of extending a line to some more resorts and DHS and AK. The monorail is a WDW icon and when factoring in the cost, the crowd draw must be added in. Just read the noise and complaints when its down and the popularity at the MK.........Many of us Disney veterans may look at the monorail as *been there done that*, but to thousands of new guests and families, its still a very big deal1.

Now all that said...I see a new light rail pod system before a extension of the monorail. JMHO.

As to the construction work now going on and since to my knowledge there has been no Disney officail news..........it really could be anything.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 01-28-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

My memory is an almost, or at a least sometimes, reliable place (Screamscape?) had information that parts of EPCOT were being "held" for possible use for monorail support. Not that actual footers were installed but the location was surveyed and was reserved for future use. My memory of the rumor was one of the constructions (Mission Space? Soarin ?) was evidence those plans were completely dead as the construction was over part of the reserved space.

One of the costs of a monorail is the cost to support the elevated track in what's basically swamp land. Should Disney ever see the need to expand rail I suspect we'd see light rail on ground level with elevated sections as needed to go over roadways. I think the technology to teleport guests instantly from any location to any other location will be perfected long before Disney expands the monorail system.

One option I read, really nothing more then speculation, was Disney building large garages near DTD. Offsite guests would pass through DTD and would take rail to a theme park. Sort of doing what Unviersal did.

Last edited by Lewisc; 01-28-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Well, here is the system my son and I developed one day on the OKW / AK Bus (and followed it up with a proposed route): 2, 4 and 8 Seat automated Pod transporters.
  • No pilot / driver - they run by themselves using the recent "Driverless Car" technology being built by Google (and others).
  • They would not run on roads. Rather, they would run on newly created asphalt "Pod Path's".
  • Top speed about 35 MPH.
  • They would run 24 Hours a day.
  • As you entered the Pod, an operator would key a Code Number corresponding to your destination, and, off you go.

There would be a few different "Lines". Each Line would have "Spur's" which lead off to Parks, Hotels, Water Park's etc.
  • Main Line: Would be the backbone of the system. It would run from the TTC south down World Drive. Spurs would serve:
    1. Boardwalk / Beach Club / Dolphin Swan
    2. Coronado Springs
    3. Studio's
    4. Wild World of Sports
  • Southern Line: Would run East/West along the South portion of the property. It would intersect with the Main Line on the Southern part of the Studio's It would serve:
    1. Downtown Disney
    2. Typhoon Lagoon
    3. Caribbean Beach Resort
    4. Studios
    5. Pop Century
    6. Blizzard Beach
    7. All Stars
    8. Animal Kingdom
    9. Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Central Line: Would run East/West along the middle portion of the property. It would intersect with the Main Line just north of Epcot. Spurs would serve:
    1. Epcot
    2. Port Orleans
    3. Old Key West
    4. Treehouses
    5. Saratoga
  • Northern Line: Would run East/West along the Northern portion of the property. It would intersect with the Main Line at the TTC. Spurs would serve:
    1. Shades of Green
    2. Golf Course Complex
    3. Race Track
    4. Wilderness Lodge
    5. Campgrounds
  • Connectors:
    1. North / South Connector: A small line running North/South from the Southern Line (starting at the Caribbean) up Epcot Center Drive to the Central Line. The purpose is to shorten the distance and relieve congestion from Downtown Disney to points North. This actually could be taken further north to pass Port Orleans and up to the Northern Line at the Campground.
    2. AK Connector: We also debated a second Connector which would run North-East from Animal Kingdom to the Main-Line / Central Line intersection. Thus shortening the path from the MK / Epcot to the Animal Kingdom. If you did build this connection you could argue that a spur to Coronado would be good - as the line would run just north of that Resort.

Practical Strategy:
  • Each Pod Path would:
    1. Have a minimum of 6 lanes for the majority of the lines: 2 Lanes dedicated for each direction of travel (example: 2 lanes East and 2 lanes West).
    2. You also would need 2 lanes dedicated for Maintenance to rescue stranded Pods.
    3. The Main-Line may need 8 to 10 lanes.
  • You may need an "Emergency Button" that would divert the Pod to the next available Spur. Let's say somebody is having a Heart Attack.
  • Broken down units would "radio in" automatically. For redundancy you would also need Intercoms to talk to a "Dispatcher" if the thing broke down.
  • We decided our "Maintenance and Central Shop" would be near the TTC at the old runway which is being used for Truck / Bus / Equipment storage. You may have other smaller shops at different locations - for example: Wild World of Sports or near the intersection of the Main Line and Central Line.
  • You might allow for one re-route. AKA: Whoops - forgot Tickets and Wallet in the room! You would have to limit somehow or people would be joy-riding all day.
  • Empty units would be sent to destinations with high demand automatically.

The obstacles we saw:
  • Expensive system to develop and maintain. I think you would have to Charge folks for their use.
  • Ton's of Bridges would have to be built. I think we decided at least 25 would have to be created - we had an exact count based upon our proposed routes, but, can't remember.
  • Certainly the new Pod Path's would need to be developed - I think we determined about 35 miles worth of new Road.
  • Certainly there would be Supply / Demand issues during peak hours.
  • During non-peak hours you would have to find a place to stash the 1000's of idle vehicles. Maybe on little "access spurs?"
  • Would have to have A/C - would drive up the Energy demand.
  • Privacy leads to vandalism: People writing on the seats, wall's etc. May need a security camera inside! You may have to require a ID and Credit Card to ride - review tapes for those responsible. You would sign-up for the feature at Resorts at check-in and other select locations.
  • Do you require an adult to be present for kids under xx years?
  • How much Swamp land are we traipsing over? Not sure.

Advantages:
  • You can literally go from anywhere to anywhere.
  • Extremely easy to expand the system for new Hotels / Parks / etc.
  • Certainly more flexible then dedicated Monorail or Light Rail track.
  • Despite the Swamp Ground issue - we could see see clear and identifiable paths for the large majority of our routing. There would be little disruption to existing infrastructure. But, there were a few potential obstacles (Central Line down Disney Vacation Club Way was one example.).
  • A new revenue stream!
    1. Charge Folks a usage fee!
    2. Sponsors / Partners like Chevy may be all over it.
    3. Featured Video ad's in the vehicle.
  • As cool as monorails!
  • Cutting edge, and, could qualify for Federal Investment.

Certainly will not happen tomorrow, but, it was fun dreaming up!

Last edited by bom_noite; 01-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

I like this. It is in use now at Heathrow airport.

Has great flexibility

Eliminate a lot of bus drivers

Save on fuel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PyUQuWmt2M
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
I like this. It is in use now at Heathrow airport.

Has great flexibility

Eliminate a lot of bus drivers

Save on fuel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PyUQuWmt2M
The Heathrow system is up and running, and, very cool. That is what I based my theory off of - with some modifications.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...athrow-airport

Last edited by bom_noite; 01-29-2013 at 05:05 AM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

the one thing that nobody give much credence too...but it is a very real thing...is the "caste" system of disney resorts.

they don't view anyone paying less than $300 per night as adequately "compensating them" for the monorail.

And if you look at the rates for the three on the line...its not hard to see the costs imbedded in there.

Sad but true...and it wasn't always this way.

But it is there. What's the solution for that in any monorail expansion (or similar rail type system) scenario?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom_noite View Post
The Heathrow system is up and running, and, very cool. That is what I based my theory off of - with some modifications.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...athrow-airport
It was rumored at one time that Disney was looking at this system:

http://taxi2000.com/

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: