Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2disney View Post
Oh no-I am getting a little worried from reading these posts. We are going in July on our first cruise and honestly, I was expecting some really great food. I realize that probably thousands of meals are prepared, however at the cost of almost $5,000 (family of 4, cat 4) for 4 nights, I do expect excellent and in some cases over the top food. I do not expect powdered eggs, which I can get at a free breakfast at Comfort Inn...or poor quality steaks or frozen pastries. I guess I was just naive...
If you're going FOR the food (i.e., having great dining experiences is a major expectation for your vacation), you should consider a different cruise line--quite possibly a different type of vacation. With the possible exception of a few of the 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' luxury lines, there are limits to what is feasible in the food realm on a cruise ship. Celebrity is usually said to have the best food, although if you go to a board for Celebrity fanboys, you will find many of them complaining that the food was MUCH better 10 years ago.

I do think you can enjoy eating on Disney, however. I second the comment about 'special' (i.e., not repeated from day-to-day) items on the buffets. That's the one place where you may find some more interesting flavor profiles. I imagine that they may let the chefs try out some local flavors from their home countries on the buffet where it's not such an issue if some people don't like it.

I wish DCL would move more in that direction in terms of what they serve. There are many inexpensive and delicious preparations from the Caribbean, Latin America, India, etc. that could be served in a banquet setting. I would much rather have a dish made with chicken with assertive flavors than a tired dish made from frozen elk medallions. DCL seems to be trying to convince us that elk medallions are 'fancy', when in fact it just means that their supplier got a great deal on farmed elk.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: