Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We always use the Clorox wipes to wipe things down in the room when we get there. Last trip, I left with a fever and cough and was diagnosed with pneumonia when we got home

Even if you bleach the room, fumigate, spray down, etc. you can still pick up the virus in the parks. Might be an even bigger chance to get it in the parks actually. I would wipe down the room with the wipes rather than making an extra stop for bleach, and then have to smell that in the room for who knows how long
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
DSNYFAM6
Earning My Ears

I'm feeling like a dunce! We get sick on the way home from EVERY single visit! I have always blamed it on the crazy hours we keep and unhealthy food we eat! I've never thought to do anything other than take off the comforters and wipe down phone, doorknobs, etc. I'll be fully sanitizing when we get there in March!!
DSNYFAM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYFAM6 View Post
I'm feeling like a dunce! We get sick on the way home from EVERY single visit! I have always blamed it on the crazy hours we keep and unhealthy food we eat! I've never thought to do anything other than take off the comforters and wipe down phone, doorknobs, etc. I'll be fully sanitizing when we get there in March!!
And don't touch any of the rails or chains at the attractions.

You really can't sanitize everything. Just wash your hands with soap, not just a quick rinse with water. Lather them up, sing Happy Birthday, then rinse and dry them well.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Jonell
DIS Veteran

I purchase a bottle of Evolve beach tablets from Walmart before our trips. When I arrive at our resort I toss a few in the jacuzzi tub with water and turn it on to clean the jets. I toss one in the toilet and I put 1/2 of one in a spray bottle with water to clean the bathroom and the countertops in the kitchen. I wipe down everything else with clorox wipes just to be safe. I am very careful to not use the bleach in areas of the room with things that could be damaged by it. I also spray with Lysol. i know many may argue that this is excessive, but it make my family feel better to know our villa is clean I wonder what type of cleaners Mousekeeping uses?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
happymomof1
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to really pump up your immune system for a couple weeks before you go. We like Kefir for probiotics, green juices, emergen c and airborne. Have to have a pumped up immune system to fight All those germs. Ick-the plane ride alone usually leaves me feeling yucky. People coughing, sneezing..... I imagine the germ particles floating in the air
happymomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
happymomof1
DIS Veteran

Also, I agree with wiping "touched" things in the room down with Clorox wipes. Definately a must do at any hotel!
happymomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

I remember, years ago working at a bath and body works when they had anti bac wipes, I had a customer who would come in and stock up on those things like there was no tomorrow when they were on sale. So I asked him one day "why?" He said he flys A LOT for work and before he even sits down on the plane he wipes the seat and tray and everything with a wipe. He said it had cut down how often he got sick after flying.

Last edited by tigger24601; 01-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

I also bring the Clorox Wipes. Wipe everything down & than right before we head to wherever (that 1st day) I over spray the entire room with Lysol Disinfectant spray. I bring the tiny sanitizer bottles that clip on to my diaper bags/purses. I periodically have the kids, hubby & I use some through out the day, especially if I noticed the kids rubbing their hands all over railings & such.

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
erin1715
DIS Veteran

I usually bring the Clorox wipes travel size in my carry on and wipe down the chairs of the plane, then I wipe down the touched surfaces in our hotel room. But I would really love to use Lysol to spray for extra protection. We will be staying at the Beach Club in about a month, does anyone know if they sell Lysol in the marketplace? We won't have a car so I won't be able to stop at the store. If they don't sell it, I will just make do without and use the Clorox wipes.
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

You really can't sanitize everything. Just wash your hands with soap, not just a quick rinse with water. Lather them up, sing Happy Birthday, then rinse and dry them well.
This is the best advice. You can't sanitize the world, but proper hand washing is a good preventative measure.

I've never wiped anything down in hotels and never caught anything either. We have been on two different cruises were many passengers got noro but we never got sick. Sometimes I think over sanitizing inhibits our natural immune system from doing it's job.

On cruise forums everyone is always talking about the dangers of touching railings. I used them all the time. I also tend to run my hands down the railings in the queues. I see others backing up from them like they have the plague. Of course, I am an adult, so don't have my hands near my mouth between railings and washing. That could make a difference.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
This is the best advice. You can't sanitize the world, but proper hand washing is a good preventative measure.

I've never wiped anything down in hotels and never caught anything either. We have been on two different cruises were many passengers got noro but we never got sick. Sometimes I think over sanitizing inhibits our natural immune system from doing it's job.

On cruise forums everyone is always talking about the dangers of touching railings. I used them all the time. I also tend to run my hands down the railings in the queues. I see others backing up from them like they have the plague. Of course, I am an adult, so don't have my hands near my mouth between railings and washing. That could make a difference.
Same here. I would never use chemical cleaners on anything that was not mine. I don't own the hotel so I allow them to use the products they have and just go from there.

If you are going to wipe down the room, then you better wipe down the chains in line, the seats and bars on the ride, the table before you eat your food (CS and TS), the seats on the bus/monorail, and on and on and on.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
carolinakk
Mouseketeer

I found the lysol to go 1 oz bottles at Walgreens in the travel/trial size section. Since it is less than 3oz it can be included in the quart size ziplock as part of your carry on.

The Clorox wipes and hand sanitizers are good for general germs, but the norovirus can only be killed with bleach or lysol brand III spray (after 10 minutes of soaking in). The wet ones antibacterial wipes I think will also work better than the hand sanitizers as they have benzethonium chloride.

I'm miss stomach bug paranoia over here so I've done some investigating.

We are also getting lots of probiotics, which we do anyway.

Good luck everyone!
carolinakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Pumping up your immune system before you go sounds like your best defense. I'm a teacher and I spend all winter washing my hands and sucking on Halls defense vitamin C tablets. There is no way I can avoid germs, and kids in school come down with the stomach flu on a daily basis, so I do my best to combat them within my own body.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
nkereina
Wendy Darling

The dirtiest thing in a hotel room is the TV remote control. Housekeepers DO NOT clean this. Would you if you were a housekeeper? Bring a zip lock bag to put it in and use it from that the rest of the time.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
blueberrypancake
Earning My Ears

when I had a stomach bug that was possible CDiff the urgent care gave me some wipes that were the kind the previous poster mentioned. Extra strong! I ended up having severe food poisoning, but I was told that you can get the extra strong wipes at medical supply stores in individual packs ( one large wipe would be plenty to do an entire room)
blueberrypancake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: