Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
MND
DIS Veteran

If you don't leave you can't come back.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Ever notice how the new, embarking passengers have clothes that fit better than those who are leaving?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Ever notice how the new, embarking passengers have clothes that fit better than those who are leaving?
Not necessarily. I lost 1 pound on my cruise last spring. I got a lot of exercise on the ship with all of the walking I did. Also, I ate healthy with lots of fish and fruit, and didn't eat any fried or junk food the whole time. I didn't skimp at mealtime either. I shoveled lots of food down my piehole, but for the mostpart, it was food that was good for me. I was expecting to gain a couple of pounds, but I didn't!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
Kimmielee
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was thereUncle Larry can do anything!

I thought the walk of shame was those that the ship was held for... you know... "Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow... if you are on the ship please let us know."

Kimmielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

I can't help it....from the second I step on the ship, I am in countdown mode until debarkation breakfast. It doesn't bother me for the first 4 days, but by day 5, I'm thinking, okay, only 2 days left.

On one hand, it's kind of annoying to never be free of that internal clock, but on the other hand, it forces me to enjoy every minute of the cruise...I've never gotten to the end of a cruise and thought to myself, "how did those 7 days go by so fast??!!"...because I was always aware of each and every day (well, except for that one time in Cozumel with the free margaritas all afternoon...some time definitely got away from me there.)

The key for me is to just have something to look forward to, even if it's not Disney. For our April cruise, we've got our June DVC vacation at OKW to look forward to. As for the end of that vacation....well, I haven't gotten that far yet.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
DL1957
DIS Veteran

If you are able to have another cruise booked before you sail, booking while on board is also great but our last 4 cruises where booked so far out we had at least one additional one in the waiting while traveling on anothe one.
DH always said that if we win it big in the lottery he would permantely book our favorite stateroom so it would always be waiting for us whenever we decided to cruise. Now we need to buy a lottery ticket!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

I agree that for us it's not a walk of shame, however, whenever we leave WDW (or a Disney cruise) we adapt a line from John Donne/Ernest Hemingway..."Ask not for whom the Magical Express comes. It comes for thee." We always try to savor the moment that the ME (or cruise bus) pulls up to begin our vacation and we always feel sorry for those who are leaving and recognize that in a few days time it will be us.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I never get sad until I have to pack up. I hate that it's wasting my last night. It is faster packing up to leave then packing to go.

I just refuse to look the way of new cruisers arriving at the terminal.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
kalel29
Dis Dad #101

Quote:
The only way we can handle it is to book another cruise while onboard. That gives us something to look forward to.

It also helps to go to WDW for at least a day (or DLR if we're on the west coast) to help ease us out of the funk. Otherwise we're depressed for at least a month.
Yeah, that helped the 1st time I went on a cruise. I did the land and sea package. So just knowing that because the cruise was over didn't mean I was going home yet. However, not so much this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
We actually swing by to visit our next room on our last morning on the ship. To say "see ya real soon!"
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about with the Walk of Shame!

I don't find myself counting down until the cruise is almost over. We have done two 7 night DCL cruises so far. I go for the gusto and enjoy every bit of the cruise for the first 5 days or so.

Around day 5 I starting going into "countdown mode." That's when I start thinking "only a couple days left" and that it's time to start assembling things to repack in the suitcase.

The only cure for this is to book another cruise! And I am working on that really hard!
I will definitely look at booking another while on board. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylover2170 View Post
Ya I know what u mean its so sad I didn't want to leave I wish every day was disney day
No question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
It is not shameful, I plan some thing else even if its not disney
Yeah, maybe we can call it "walk of sorrow" or "walk of sadness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
i agree 1000%...we booked our next (5th) Disney cruise on our 7 night Fantasy WC last August...even with that my daughter was in tears the entire day we left the ship....we surprised her the next day; as she thought we were driving to the airport instead I pulled into WDW for a four day stay...by the time that was over we were all ready to go home!!!

one last thing about the walk of shame (pain is a better description) when you exit the ship and are heading to get your luggage don't turn around as those signs with Mickey that say "see you real soon!" are double sided and say "welcome aboard" for the next set of cruisers....
Yeah, I'm more worried about the kids. This will be their first cruise. Thanks for the info. I will not be turning around on the way out. The pain will be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa&Shawn View Post
Wow that is so me!!!! I think about how many days left from the second we are on vacation. Goal is to try not to but having a future cruise or vacation date usually helps. My DD will start kindergarten this year so our plans are TBD so it's sad
Good to know I'm not alone. It will be a while after this upcoming cruise before we are able to go on another one. But who knows, maybe I will book a dummy date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER/POOH4 View Post
See You Real Soon!

Agreed. I like this view SOOO much better on embarkation day.

Seeing the "See you real soon" sign makes me so depressed. However, the pic of the terminal makes me excited for the arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
OP, I thought for sure this thread was going to be tales of those who packed everything and had to head for home in their pajamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
the funny thing is, arriving for departure day is when Port Canaveral looks so nice but when you leave the ship after the cruise is over its such an "ugly" place....
not looking forward to that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
It is not shameful....but more sad if anything.

MJ
couldn't agree more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDisney View Post
Ditto for booking another cruise onboard! It will be great to visit Disney every year (the Parks or Cruise). If not, being able to visit another city or country every year helps a bit.
Sounds like joining DVC would be a great option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookieshoney View Post
I plan the next vacation as we are driving home. My DH laughs at me, but he now knows I will have something great planned for the next year.
Lucky DH!!!

Dis Dad Member #101
June 2002 - WDW, USO (Offsite), June 2004 - WDW, USO (Offsite), Feb 2007 - Disney Cruise (Wonder) & POFQ *Disneymoon*), July 2010 - POR, June 2013 - Disney Cruise (Fantasy)
kalel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
kalel29
Dis Dad #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
If you don't leave you can't come back.

Mike
I think I will make a shirt with that saying on it to wear on the last day..

Quote:
With all the great pics of the food on the ship I can see that happening. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Not necessarily. I lost 1 pound on my cruise last spring. I got a lot of exercise on the ship with all of the walking I did. Also, I ate healthy with lots of fish and fruit, and didn't eat any fried or junk food the whole time. I didn't skimp at mealtime either. I shoveled lots of food down my piehole, but for the mostpart, it was food that was good for me. I was expecting to gain a couple of pounds, but I didn't!
You have great restraint. I do not plan at all on holding back. YOLO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmielee View Post
I thought the walk of shame was those that the ship was held for... you know... "Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow... if you are on the ship please let us know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218 View Post
I can't help it....from the second I step on the ship, I am in countdown mode until debarkation breakfast. It doesn't bother me for the first 4 days, but by day 5, I'm thinking, okay, only 2 days left.

On one hand, it's kind of annoying to never be free of that internal clock, but on the other hand, it forces me to enjoy every minute of the cruise...I've never gotten to the end of a cruise and thought to myself, "how did those 7 days go by so fast??!!"...because I was always aware of each and every day (well, except for that one time in Cozumel with the free margaritas all afternoon...some time definitely got away from me there.)

The key for me is to just have something to look forward to, even if it's not Disney. For our April cruise, we've got our June DVC vacation at OKW to look forward to. As for the end of that vacation....well, I haven't gotten that far yet.
Well said. I feel the same will happen to me. But as a member of DVC, at least you know that one way or another you will be experiencing disney magic sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen View Post
I agree that for us it's not a walk of shame, however, whenever we leave WDW (or a Disney cruise) we adapt a line from John Donne/Ernest Hemingway..."Ask not for whom the Magical Express comes. It comes for thee." We always try to savor the moment that the ME (or cruise bus) pulls up to begin our vacation and we always feel sorry for those who are leaving and recognize that in a few days time it will be us.
indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
I never get sad until I have to pack up. I hate that it's wasting my last night. It is faster packing up to leave then packing to go.

I just refuse to look the way of new cruisers arriving at the terminal.
I do not look forward to packing back up at all. LOL seeing others about to enjoy the same vacation you did depresses me.

Dis Dad Member #101
June 2002 - WDW, USO (Offsite), June 2004 - WDW, USO (Offsite), Feb 2007 - Disney Cruise (Wonder) & POFQ *Disneymoon*), July 2010 - POR, June 2013 - Disney Cruise (Fantasy)
kalel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's an uncommon feeling at all, to be thinking about something being finished before it's even started.

I started my online "life" when newly engaged, and after all the planning that brides (and some grooms) do for their weddings (and remember, this is somewhat new, because the mother of the bride was generally the planner just a couple generations ago) it is EXTREMELY common to start a "and then the wedding will be over" line of thought that makes you sad. Of course you've got married life to look forward to, but "married life" isn't different to *everyone*, so you never know if it will feel new or just the same. And then there's the honeymoon you plan and look forward to, etc.

And with the intense Disneyland/world planning we do here, same thing.

So it's no surprise to be counting down and sort of already living in the last few days of the cruise. If it's any consolation, at least you're not alone.

As we are leaving DLR, WDW, or Universal Orlando, we are sad, but now we are happy for those arriving! Soon enough they will be sad like us, so it's happier to be happy for what we had and what they are about to have.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Wow, I did not see where this thread was going from the title ...

The "Walk of Shame" meant something ENTIRELY different in my college years. Way different.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #28
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post

The "Walk of Shame" meant something ENTIRELY different in my college years. Way different.
It took me 5 seconds to get this. I mean...I just heard about it.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
lodge
DIS Veteran

You need to become DVC owners... no more walk of shame, as you'll be "home" again soon!

It's great for those of us who compulsively plan Disney trips... can feed a year round obsession!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
It is not shameful....but more sad if anything.

MJ

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post

I was thinking the same thing!! I thought someone was going to start telling tales and quickly clicked on it!!!
How un-Disney would that thread be?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: