Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
kalel29
Dis Dad #101

The dreaded "Walk of Shame"

Think about it. The months (in some cases years) of planning your dream cruise vacation. The anticipation of pulling into port and seeing your disney ship for the first time and knowing you will spend the next several magical days on it. Walking into the terminal for the first time and checking in to get your KTTW and lanyard. Next, walking through the yellow mickey head shaped gateway, down the long hallway all the while seeing the welcome banners. Having the CM's announce your family as you walk into the huge beautiful atrium. And that is just day 1. You know there is so much to explore, eat, and be entertained with. Then it hits you like a ton of bricks. You picture the last night of your cruise. Packing all of your clothes and personal belongings back into the suitcases. Carefully wrapping the fragile souvenirs or FE gifts you got so they don't break. Knowing that in the morning, your vacation will be ending and you will be making the seemingly long journey off the ship, through customs, and back to reality?! The "Walk of Shame" (see below) as myself and my brother calls it (I'm sure some of you do too). "Dis" brothers and sisters, its enough for your humble narrator/author of this thread, to be sad before even setting foot on the ship. Will I be spending my 7 day vacation with a "countdown" clock in my head? Everyday telling myself: 6 days left,5 days lefts, 4 days left, etc...Taking away from the happiness and the carefree life I should be living on the cruise? After spending the last few months of my freetime here on the disboards, reading cruise trip reports, there's no questions the saddest part of all of them is when they describe their feelings on the last night and disembarking day. Lets call this post an "intervention". What can I do to help with my fear? How did you guys handle it? Or how will/would you handle it?

*Walk of shame* So a few years back, myself, DW, DS, DD, brother, and sister took a trip to Disneyworld. As we pulled into our resort on the magical transportation bus we looked around and saw famililes pulling their luggage up to the stop to be picked up. Me and my brother noticed the look on their faces of sadness and disappointment. I hate to say this, but we laughed and dubbed it "The walk of shame". We told each other that was going to be us in 5 days. And sure enough thats what happened. On the last day of our trip, after checking out of POR, we were on our way outside to the shuttle stop to wait to be taken to the airport. On the way, we looked at each other and started laughing because we knew the next set of families, pulling up on the bus, were now looking at the expressions on our face and laughing.

Dis Dad Member #101
June 2002 - WDW, USO (Offsite), June 2004 - WDW, USO (Offsite), Feb 2007 - Disney Cruise (Wonder) & POFQ *Disneymoon*), July 2010 - POR, June 2013 - Disney Cruise (Fantasy)
kalel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The only way we can handle it is to book another cruise while onboard. That gives us something to look forward to.

It also helps to go to WDW for at least a day (or DLR if we're on the west coast) to help ease us out of the funk. Otherwise we're depressed for at least a month.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

We actually swing by to visit our next room on our last morning on the ship. To say "see ya real soon!"
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I know exactly what you are talking about with the Walk of Shame!

I don't find myself counting down until the cruise is almost over. We have done two 7 night DCL cruises so far. I go for the gusto and enjoy every bit of the cruise for the first 5 days or so.

Around day 5 I starting going into "countdown mode." That's when I start thinking "only a couple days left" and that it's time to start assembling things to repack in the suitcase.

The only cure for this is to book another cruise! And I am working on that really hard!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
disneylover2170
Earning My Ears

Ya I know what u mean its so sad I didn't want to leave I wish every day was disney day
disneylover2170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
jm106
DIS Veteran

It is not shameful, I plan some thing else even if its not disney

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
The only way we can handle it is to book another cruise while onboard. That gives us something to look forward to.

It also helps to go to WDW for at least a day (or DLR if we're on the west coast) to help ease us out of the funk. Otherwise we're depressed for at least a month.
i agree 1000%...we booked our next (5th) Disney cruise on our 7 night Fantasy WC last August...even with that my daughter was in tears the entire day we left the ship....we surprised her the next day; as she thought we were driving to the airport instead I pulled into WDW for a four day stay...by the time that was over we were all ready to go home!!!

one last thing about the walk of shame (pain is a better description) when you exit the ship and are heading to get your luggage don't turn around as those signs with Mickey that say "see you real soon!" are double sided and say "welcome aboard" for the next set of cruisers....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

Wow that is so me!!!! I think about how many days left from the second we are on vacation. Goal is to try not to but having a future cruise or vacation date usually helps. My DD will start kindergarten this year so our plans are TBD so it's sad
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran

See You Real Soon!

Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western

TIGGER/POOH4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

OP, I thought for sure this thread was going to be tales of those who packed everything and had to head for home in their pajamas

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER/POOH4 View Post
See You Real Soon!

the funny thing is, arriving for departure day is when Port Canaveral looks so nice but when you leave the ship after the cruise is over its such an "ugly" place....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

It is not shameful....but more sad if anything.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

Ditto for booking another cruise onboard! It will be great to visit Disney every year (the Parks or Cruise). If not, being able to visit another city or country every year helps a bit.

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Pookieshoney
Earning My Ears

I plan the next vacation as we are driving home. My DH laughs at me, but he now knows I will have something great planned for the next year.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
the funny thing is, arriving for departure day is when Port Canaveral looks so nice but when you leave the ship after the cruise is over its such an "ugly" place....
Agreed. I like this view SOOO much better on embarkation day.

Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western

TIGGER/POOH4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: